• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Anime What was the last anime you watched before posting in this thread?

Currently making my way through yet another rewatch of Cowboy Bebop. It's reached the point where I'm so familiar with it that I can have it on in the background without it taking up too much of my attention, and still have an understanding of what's happening. Finished rewatching episode 20 on Thursday.

Currently making my way through yet another rewatch of Cowboy Bebop. It's reached the point where I'm so familiar with it that I can have it on in the background without it taking up too much of my attention, and still have an understanding of what's happening. Finished rewatching episode 20 on Thursday.

You've got me curious to hear your opinion on Netflix's Cowboy Bebop Live action. I have the impression that the Live Action tried to follow the anime to the letter, but the end result was not what I expected. Maybe it's a matter of direction, art or even acting. I didn't think John Cho's acting was all that bad, but Spike Spiegal is a very difficult character to play. But the fact is, I only watched the anime once, and it's been a long time.

Last edited:
You've got me curious to hear your opinion on Netflix's Cowboy Bebop Live action. I have the impression that Live Action tried to follow the anime to the letter, but the end result was not what I expected. Maybe it's a matter of direction, art or even acting. I didn't think John Cho's acting was all that bad, but Spike Spiegal is a very difficult character to play. But the fact is, I only watched the anime once, and it's been a long time.
Funnily enough, I'm making my way through the original series again precisely so that I can watch the Netflix live-action series with the source material fresh in my mind, for comparison's sake. I haven't engaged with the live-action series myself at all just yet, but I've been hearing some pretty mixed reviews, though not as unanimously negative as I was expecting?

Definitely agree with your point that Spike is difficult to portray, and I'm of the opinion that Bebop never needed a live-action reboot so I'm a little biased against it in that regard, but I still plan to watch it before I form any decisive conclusions on it. From what I've heard it seems they tried to stay as true to the source material as possible but so much of the impact and success of the show is tied to its artistic style and aesthetic (which is difficult to recreate in reality IMO, as the art itself is visually stunning and adds to the story) that it comes across a little hollow. Either way, I'm interested in checking it out, and will let you know what I think myself once I'm caught up with it!

Earlier I watched episode 1 of The Heroic Legend of Arslan: Age of Heroes OVA. Pretty good so far, I get a slight mix of Record of Lodoss War, early Fire Emblem (specifically GotHW and Thracia), and early Final Fantasy all rolled into one. Characters are great from the first episode alone, and pacing doesn't feel awkward (which sometimes with OVA's I'm wary on); definitely going to stick with this one, sucks that it's only six episodes though. But after I finish it I might watch the alternative adaptation and Dust Storm Dance right after. Though the art style for them, while not bad, doesn't really look like it fits, of course I'll actually have to see them in motion to fully judge but I greatly prefer the 90's art of it.

A few days ago I finished season 1 of Tsukimichi: Moonlit Fantasy and today I finished Le Chevalier D'Eon. The first was good fun, has a certain trope usually found in isekai that I enjoy (and is why I love the genre) and the characters are very endearing, can't wait until season 2 releases. And for the latter, it was also enjoyable; not something I was expecting for a anime about the actual historical figure, since I was going in with Fate's version in mind, but still had a good time watching it. I loved the supernatural twist they added into the story and how human nature is portrayed (especially in grief), and the art and animation for it is top notch, though Production I.G usually nails it in that anyway.

I watched all available episodes of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: STONE OCEAN on Netflix currently. I wonder if this about bi-weekly or monthly since we got twelve episodes today. I just want to watch more since this has been the Part I've been most excited for to be animated.

Finally finished Season Two of Kuroko's Basketball. It's onto Season Three now and I just heard Ray Chase as Shogo so this should be fun.

Episodes 2 and 3 of The Heroic Legend of Arslan: Age of Heroes. The animation in episode 2 was kind of meh on some parts, but luckily everything else about it was generally okay; the pacing towards the end of the episode also kind of felt rushed a bit, but not to the point it annoyed me at least. These two episodes we're introduced to a few more characters, and we see a bit more of Silver Mask/Hermes as well which is nice; apparently in the 2015 adaptation people say he's not as great and acts more like a typical mustache twirling villain, which if true kind of sucks cause I really like how developed he is in the 90's OVA.

I just heard Ray Chase as Shogo so this should be fun.
This might just be me, but I feel it would have been better if Ray voiced one of the Miracles, specifically Ryota or Seijuro. Especially the latter since Ray can do that cocky and asshole behavior with a flavor of elegance pretty well, plus I feel he would be the only one to somewhat complement Hiroshi Kamiya when comparing the dub and original (of course I'm not a fan of Aleks Le's work as Seijuro from what I've heard of it, I like him just fine in other roles though).

Edit: I should mention that I don't think his work as Shogo is bad, but to me it feels somewhat awkward and forced.

Last edited:
A few days ago I was reminiscing about "Jojo: Phantom Blood" and thinking about how cool the rugby match at the start of that manga was when adapted into the anime and scoffed at the idea of there ever being a rugby anime...

So, I just got back from binge watching "All Out!!" over a couple of days. I don't typically watch that many sports anime as I find a lot of them a bit same-y but funnily enough, the anime that reminds me the most of this one would be "Hibike! Euphonium" with a high school freshman joining the large ensemble of characters in a club and the new coach who pushes them hard. I would say that the most contentious part of the show would be the main character himself Gion (although you can argue that he's really just the Ishmael to Sekizan's Ahab), he plays practically every shonen cliché straight to where he's Naruto but wants to be a great rugby player instead of being the Hokage - though I did like that the author subverted expectations somewhat by turning his unique skill into a crutch that gets him benched for about a dozen episodes because he thinks he can solve his problems by "just tackle harder!" The rest of the cast is great and although I would struggle to remember more than a handful of their names, their faces are burned in my mind due to their fun dynamics and several having interesting backstories. Madhouse did a really good job when it came to adapting as the matches look good and you really feel the weight of the characters slamming into one another.

All in all, one of the best anime I've seen in a long time. Definitely would recommend and it physically hurt me when I reached the last episode and saw there was no more. Madhouse really need to make a season 2 or I will riot. (Although I would recommend subbed as I'm not a huge fan of the dub.)

A few days ago I was reminiscing about "Jojo: Phantom Blood" and thinking about how cool the rugby match at the start of that manga was when adapted into the anime and scoffed at the idea of there ever being a rugby anime...
There's also number24 and Try Knights if you're curious. I haven't watched either yet since All Out was the only rugby anime I've seen (which I thought was pretty good too, if a bit generic and I'd personally put other sports anime above it but I digress), the former I've heard had some well received reviews, and the latter is.. a mess apparently but I don't know how true that is. Though if you want more rugby then you'll have slightly better luck with manga instead (it's still not much but well).

A couple days ago I started Slayers since my brother and dad quite like this anime, I have read one of the manga adaptations before and thought it was fun, so I decided to start out with the anime. This morning I watched episodes 3 and 4 and so far I'm enjoying it, though I prefer it dubbed since, and this is going to be an unpopular opinion I'm sure (especially around here lol), I'm not a fan of Megumi Hayashibara's work; I can somewhat tolerate her in a series if whatever she's in doesn't have a dub, or a good dub, but overall if the dubbed version is good I'll take that in a heartbeat over hearing her in a long runner (especially since she's Lina, the MC). Anyway, dub is good fun so this'll be a series I'll follow closely.

I also started SUPER LOVERS earlier, a more obscure BL series. I haven't seen anyone else in this section mention any BL anime/manga before, so this might be whatever for most, but out of the ones I've seen I'd say this one is quite cute so far. Not sure if it'll beat out Loveless in cuteness factor (especially concerning what else goes on in the series besides the aesthetics, so that might not be fair), but I think this one might rank high on my list depending on how this turns out. I'm thinking of checking out the manga as well after I watch both seasons.

Digimon Ghost Game episodes 7 and 8.
A pair of pretty good episodes. Can honestly say that I never expected to see Sistermon Ciel actively used in the Japanese version of anything, since the only reason she exists in the first place is because Americans got uppity about Noir looking like a sexy nun. I mean, I looked it up and she has actual unique lore now. It's actually kinda cool. Also phenomenally intrigued by whatever the hell Tailmon was doing with the gate in that rice cooker.

Been keeping a steady pace on Slayers, still a pretty fun watch and watching the dub is still the best choice I've made. Though I have a feeling I'll probably like the other seasons more, as some antics are kind of hit or miss for me right now.

Finished SUPER LOVERS season one and now I'm on season two. It's cute, but I still prefer Loveless and Sekaiichi Hatsukoi in the cuteness factor, but this one has been enjoyable all the same.

And a couple days ago I started Monochrome Factor. I've heard good things about the manga but not much on it's anime adaptation, so I've decided to watch the anime and sometime later read the manga. So far the animation is somewhat mid, it's fine one moment but the next it's kind of choppy or off model, especially in battle scenes; it's also fond of making the characters chibi and use colored backgrounds in some moments, which can ruin the flow of a scene imo. But I still think it's okay, the characters really carry it for me, especially Akira.

Back on the World Trigger grind at the moment (again...), it's an old favourite if nothing else for the ranking battles alone!

I completed The Royal Tutor two days ago, pretty cute and refreshing to watch; also helps that the main character Heine has a really cute design and his personality is also what I generally like in a character, and the four princes certainly help carry the show as well. Probably one of the only two slice of life series that I consider my top favorite alongside Orenchi no Furo Jijou (and few sports anime that can technically fall under the genre), so now I need to finish it's manga and watch the movie sometime.

Currently now watching a few series I needed to catch up on/finish. Specifically Magi and DanMachi, for the former I'm finally watching Kingdom of Magic and finished the Sinbad OVA plus watching the Sinbad TV anime (and again I should get to it's manga, I love the Magi manga so I know I'll love this one since the anime adaptation is good so far); not sure why I didn't pick this up right after finishing Labyrinth a few years ago, but now I have more time at least! For DanMachi I'm watching the third season, this one I did mean to watch last year but other series were coming out plus I wanted to watch/catch up on a few older ones, so unfortunately this one kind of slipped my mind; I only reminded myself to finish this one after hearing about the fourth season and re-reading the manga adaptation and the first volume of the LN. Still a fun and endearing series with best girl Hestia.

Also watching the currently airing anime Visual Prison. Certainly not everyone's cup of tea, but it ticks off a few boxes of what I like: vampires, male idols, and Visual Kei designs; so this one is the best pleasure watch out so far for me. Hopefully there'll be more coming out of this series, like maybe a manga adaptation or another season, because I'm going to be sad after this anime ends next week.

The Aquatope of White Sand Episode 24-Here comes the end to another P.A. Works series and now to wait for the next one. Still upset Kukuru and Fuuka didn't kiss. Honestly this seems like a series that could get a season 2 despite P.A.'s working women anime like this and Shirobako don't get Season 2 since there's another time skip we can cover from the last episode that glossed over some things and what comes after this since Kukuru may actually become director of the new aquarium the cast has been at.

Restaurant to Another World Season 2 Episode 12-Here comes the end to my favorite food anime again, we actually get to know more about the origins behind the door and honestly the best reaction to Kuro being a black dragon lord.

Yashahime Season 2 Episode 12- Oh hey Rin is about to freed finally? Oh wait no, she still be cursed somehow even after they sever her connection with the villain Zero.

Digimon Ghost Game Episode 11-Ugh, it was Ruli and Agoramon episode and I really thought they would finally digivolve the latter but they didn't. Jellymon did it before them which I felt was unfair and Gammamon as already done two of his confirmed three ( and implied four). When does he get to evolve? This was the episode to do it and they didn't!!

Back
Top Bottom