• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Movies/TV What was the last movie you watched?

The Kentucky Fried Movie

A lot funnier than I remembered although one section was a bit boring.

Us (2019). I was looking forward to finally seeing this one (I think Get Out also by Jordan Peele is a great film) but it ended up being a disappointment. It started off suspenseful and the acting throughout the whole film is pretty phenomenal, but ultimately the movie suffered from an extreme amount of plotholes and plot contrivances, which bothered me so much that they affected my enjoyment of it.

Just saw The Batman. Obviously a well-made film, but it wasn't really for me. I found it far too depressing and self-serious and overall an exercise in patience. I think it's great they leaned more towards the detective-side of Batman, but I didn't really care about the detective mystery of the film or this version of The Riddler. I will say though, Robert Pattinson did a really good job as Batman.

Free Guy. Finally got around to seeing this with the Misses. Wasn't expecting it to be much, but, boy was I wrong.
Such fun and really had us laughing at points.

I felt the urge to watch a swashbuckling epic, and so I put on "The 7th Voyage of Sinbad" (1958), the first in Ray Harryhausen's Sinbad "Trilogy" - the inverted commas to mean that despite the three films being about Sinbad, they have nothing to do with each other (in narrative, directors or casting) aside from the use of "Dynamation", a form of stop motion that Harryhausen created to depict the monsters.

All that aside, the film itself was pretty good. The title is somewhat of a misnomer as it is not adapted from the Seventh Voyage but is rather a mash-up of Voyages Three and Five with some other elements thrown in from other Arabian Nights such as the genie and a treacherous magician. Kerwin Mathews flexes his charm as the charismatic Sinbad, definitely more heroic than usual depictions as he ventures to an island full of monsters in order to save a princess and stop an impending war. Joining (and later opposing him) is Torin Thatcher playing Sokurah the magician. I must confess that during the climax as Sinbad breaches the castle demanding the villain reveal himself, I could not unhear him shouting "Sakura, Sakura!!!" XD

I would say that the monsters by way of Dynamation look a bit dated, but it was apparently ground breaking special effects at the time and to its credit it doesn't look that bad compared to say Army of Darkness which came out about 35 years later. It also indirectly influenced Star Wars - not in a narrative sense like The Hidden Fortress did but rather when Phil Tippett saw the movie as a child, he decided to get into special effects which led to him being hired by George Lucas.

Regardless, a very enjoyable heroic adventure movie. Not intellectually deep or anything perhaps, but it's just plain good fun that just about anyone can enjoy~

Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness,the movie wasn't great and it wasn't terrible 7/10 ish. Director Sam Raimi is the same guy who directed the Spider-Man trilogy from the 2000s featuring Tobey Maguire as Peter Parker.He also is known for his horror movies like Evil Dead & Drag Me to Hell so expect this movie to be different from the others in the MCU.

A Silent Voice (Koe no Katachi) , it was one I had been meaning to watch for a long time-- since its release! But I didn't get around to it till now. Oh man...There were many tears held back. KyoAni as usual did a stunning job animation wise, and the characters were portrayed so real and delicate, there were so many scenes I could just feel without a need for any words, situations I could understand... I highly recommend seeing it if you haven't, especially if you are someone who had a difficult school life in your childhood, you may connect with it like I did.

Back
Top Bottom