• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Movies/TV What was the last movie you watched?

Joker

The first time I go to the cinema in a long time and I get to see a movie I ended up liking. My sister was right, this Joker is different from both Ledger and Hamill's.

9/10

The Circle.
Pretty good for one-off viewing but it's not something I'd watch again. It initially hooked my interest due to Hanks being in it.

Parasite 7/10
Korean dark comedy, drama with a bit of horror. One of the better films I've seen recently.

Watched Joker two nights ago. I thought it was good, but not as good as the main series Batman movies. Also I think my opinion of the movie was soured by a review that I read on Smogon that tried to draw parallels between the Joker character in the movie and transgender rights. I was just like... okay.

Last edited:
Watched Joker two nights ago. I thought it was good, but not as good as the main series Batman movies. Also I think my opinion of the movie was soured by a review that I read on Smogon that tried to draw parallels between the Joker character in movie and transgender rights. I was just like... okay.
Wait, what?

Wait, what?

Someone did an analysis of the Joker's transition from bullied underachiever to glorified psychopath and tried to say that it was an allegory for a transgendered person's struggles. Here was their reasoning:

"Arthur Fleck represents a MtF who throughout the course of the movie cracks his egg and is allowed to live freely

At the beginning of the movie you see a man beaten down by the world he lives in, hes forced into standard masculine breadwinner role because of the needs of his mother and the general world that he lives in at the time. Robert DeNiros character represents the only true male influence in his life and he is hidden behind a screen. The scene at the end where he finally gets to talk to him (his dream) ends with him murdering DeNiro and embracing himself for who he is. The real egg crack moment comes earlier in the movie though. The scene where he kills his mother is him rejecting societies gender roles and saying im no longer going to be the man who takes care of you, i'm going to be the woman who takes care of me. This leads to his liberation moment where he removes all of the negative male influences from his life and ends up reconciling with the woman down the hall.

Just think about who he kills in this movie: 3 Dudebro wall street guys, his coworker who has made fun of him and got him fired for who he is, and DeNiro. At the end of the movie when hes finally embraced by the crowd is like the world finally accepting him for who he is. Don't even get me started on what Thomas Wayne represents.

This movie feels deeply personal, and intimate - especially for a comic movie."

Someone did an analysis of the Joker's transition from bullied underachiever to glorified psychopath and tried to say that it was an allegory for a transgendered person's struggles. Here was their reasoning:

"Arthur Fleck represents a MtF who throughout the course of the movie cracks his egg and is allowed to live freely

At the beginning of the movie you see a man beaten down by the world he lives in, hes forced into standard masculine breadwinner role because of the needs of his mother and the general world that he lives in at the time. Robert DeNiros character represents the only true male influence in his life and he is hidden behind a screen. The scene at the end where he finally gets to talk to him (his dream) ends with him murdering DeNiro and embracing himself for who he is. The real egg crack moment comes earlier in the movie though. The scene where he kills his mother is him rejecting societies gender roles and saying im no longer going to be the man who takes care of you, i'm going to be the woman who takes care of me. This leads to his liberation moment where he removes all of the negative male influences from his life and ends up reconciling with the woman down the hall.

Just think about who he kills in this movie: 3 Dudebro wall street guys, his coworker who has made fun of him and got him fired for who he is, and DeNiro. At the end of the movie when hes finally embraced by the crowd is like the world finally accepting him for who he is. Don't even get me started on what Thomas Wayne represents.

This movie feels deeply personal, and intimate - especially for a comic movie."
This... this is Game Theory level weirdness. What the hell?

Back
Top Bottom