• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Movies/TV What was the last movie you watched?

I watched the new Doctor Strange like, 2 days ago, and was frankly???? Just a 6/10 for me. It was just painfully average and had some writing issues I particularly didn't liked.

Prior to that was "Bloody Hell" and man, let me tell you what a BLAST I had watching this movie. It's the gory comedy that is so much fun. I actually burst out laughing more than once, which is actually very rare for me. Great tension, deliciously gory, goofy in the best way, just a great piece of work.

Not a movie, but Stranger Things season 4 (spoilers marked in tab). I just finished episode four, and so far it's very very good, maybe the second best season. Maybe I'm just thinking this because of the hype and excitement I have towards it, but it's really good.
I really wish Chrissy didnt die though. I think she had potential to be apart of the main squad, she was a pretty likeable character, but maybe she'll comeback, who knows. Eddie is a pretty interesting character, not much to say about him so far. Same goes for Argyle, besides the interesting part. Hopefully he'll get a more important role. Out of the three subplots last episode (max/dustin/lucas/steve/nancy/robin and the vecna thing, mike/will/johnathan/eleven and the government stuff, and then hopper/joyce/murray with the russians) my favorite would probably be the vecna plot mainly because of the characters, but the other two were interesting too. I'm really excited for ep5

Not a movie, but Stranger Things season 4 (spoilers marked in tab). I just finished episode four, and so far it's very very good, maybe the second best season. Maybe I'm just thinking this because of the hype and excitement I have towards it, but it's really good.

- I didn't know that the fourth season had already been released. Sometimes I feel like I live in a cave, Lol.

- Well, time to log into Netflix, I think it's been a couple of months since I watched anything there.

I saw the movie The Menu. I thought it was a little strange but I really enjoyed it and there are a lot of really talented actors in it.

The Needle (1988). Watched it purely to see Viktor Tsoi and it's very good to be honest (although that may be my fan bias)

Shin Ultraman

I thought the second half was a bit slow compared to the first but overall it was good. I'm really getting into Ultraman lately.

Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves

An enjoyable movie in the spirit of a P&P campaign session with a fun main cast and locations, organizations, creatures, and wizard spells that I recognized from computer role-playing video games I've played in the same universe, such as Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights.

Last edited:
Matilda (1996). I rewatched with my boyfriend (who has never seen it before, but has read the book in school a while ago), and it's just as enjoyable as I remembered. I saw it got added to Netflix and decided to watch again after a year or two :3

I guess it counts because it was a "made for TV movie" but I was in the mood for some nautical adventure so I stuck on the period drama "Longitude" starring Jeremy Irons and Michael Gambon. Based on the book of the same name by American author Dava Sobel, it tells a parallel set of stories - John Harrison's forty year struggle to solve the titular Longitude Problem and win the prize money offered by the British Government in the 18th Century, but is also interspersed with Rupert Gould who is discharged from the military after suffering a mental breakdown in the trenches of WW1 and stumbles across Harrison's forgotten and damaged timepieces and so he spends his recovery trying to put them back together using his own mechanical knowledge.

Being a period drama, the one thing people have to nail for me is the setting and Longitude looks absolutely gorgeous. Apparently it was filmed around the same time as fellow naval drama "Hornblower" and so unsurprisingly a lot of the sets were recycled. They even occasionally do the thing where Harrison will leave a place in a horse 'n cart only to fade into Rupert arriving at the same building in his motorcar centuries later to emphasize the overlapping narrative. Both the book and subsequently the tv drama lean a little into artistic license in order to build drama such as using the urban myth that non-officers caught doing navigation work got executed as well as turning Nevil Maskelyne into a petty bureaucrat who is obsessed with stopping Harrison from succeeding after Harrison humiliated his Lunar Model, when in reality Maskelyne never submitted a method of his own and was only following the Board's instructions on rigorously testing Harrison's timepieces since sailors' lives hung on the balance. Both Jeremy Irons and Michael Gambon preform wonderfully as the two main characters and it came as no surprise that Gambon in particular won an award for his portrayal of Harrison. The film also boasts a bevy of other talented British actors both (at the time) veterans and newcomers such as Bill Nighy as Lord Sandwich (yes, the guy the sandwich is named after), Brian Cox as Lord Morton and Andrew Scott as Vice-Admiral Campbell. Speaking of famous names, watching this drama really hammers home just what an age it was to be alive as you have appearances by many a famous figure such as Sir Edmond Halley (the guy the comet is named after), Sir Frank Watson Dyson and even Captain James Cook gets an off-screen mention as one of the people who preforms a trial with Harrison's timepieces.

I don't have much in the way of critiques, but one thing I will say is that I'm not sure how much of Rupert Gould's story added to the mix. It was well acted and everything but at the end of the day it did feel kinda...superfluous I guess? The other thing is the story feels very biased in favour of Harrison, to the point where you might think Astronomy is just flat-earth stuff if you had no other context given the way the astronomers are portrayed. The fact that Harrison and other timekeepers refer to themselves as scientists in front of the Board - implicitly implying that the astronomers aren't was really bizarre. To go back to the aforementioned Maskelyne, the drama depicts him as a wannabe rival of Harrison who knows nothing of real value, when in reality he is the man who created the British Nautical Almanac as well as being the one to preform the Schiehallion Experiment - a practical demonstration of Isaac Newton's Theory of Gravitation.

But over all, it was a wonderful drama that I would seriously recommend to anyone who enjoys a good period drama or is interested in the history of things nautical or navigation related.

Last night I watched the Found Footage horror flick "Affliction".

The basic gist is that Derek is a dying 30 year old salaryman who decides to quit his deskjob and go on a round-the-world roadtrip before he kicks the bucket. Things start off great until they reach Paris where a fling with a French girl in a seedy bar ends up with Derek catching a strange condition. To Derek's surprise he starts feeling pretty good for a dying man, so good he can punch holes in walls and run fast enough to keep up with cars. But things start to go downhill as eating normal food makes him violently ill and yet his hunger keeps growing...

I mentioned this is a found footage film and indeed it starts off with the typical cliché sidekick who likes to film everything no matter how ridiculous the situation. But the fun part occurs after the twist and Derek decides he needs to keep the cameras rolling to document his condition for scientific purposes in case there's any hope of a cure. Thus you get the singularly unique aspect of this being a found footage film...being filmed by the monster itself. Speaking of which, the cinematography is top-notch throughout as despite some of the stunts and fight scenes being very hectic, at no point did I get a sense of motion sickness like some found footage flicks. Also despite only being rated "15", some of the effects made my skin crawl worse than several 18+ flicks - especially the one scene with the eyes (if you know you know). Considering this film had such a tiny budget, it really is impressive to see what the pair of directors managed to achieve in their film debut and they definitely deserved all the awards they won.

I would also recommend sticking around during the credits as not only did they spoof a superhero origin story in the first quarter of the film, they even have a mid-credit scene complete with a stinger for a potential sequel.

I decided to watch Akira Kurosawa’s movie Seven Samurai and so I’ve watched about half of it so far today.

At some times, I’ve found it a bit confusing as I can’t really tell what the characters want to do though it might be a little bit on my part as I have to pay attention to the subtitles.

The characters are all very interesting and compelling though I can’t remember any of their names. All I can remember is this face shape and face itself.

The movie is about rice farmers that are being attacked by bandits so they have to get samurai to protect them and defeat the bandits. Getting the samurai is what the first part of the movie is about. Then, the second part of the movie is probably about the samurai fighting the bandits. For context, this movie takes place in 1586, and it was filmed in Tokyo and released in 1954.

It definitely has a lot of its charm from the bad audio quality (by today’s standards) and black & white footage.

I rewatched Ant-Man and the Wasp Quantamania with my family.

Back
Top Bottom