• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What was the Worst addition to the Games?

I know HMs have been around since the start, but my god! My Pidgeot does not need to learn the move fly to fly me around! It's a bird, it can carry me, I don't need a moveslot for that.

I tend to always have a team of 5 pokemon. Never 6, becasue I need a slot for my HM slave 90% of time. I don't like having HM moves on my party, save Waterfall because it's decent..

Speaking of waterfall, why do you need it..? I'm sure if I have a flying pokemon, I can avoid making my surfing pokemon defy gravity and go up a waterfall.
I can just fly over it.
...Why am I even going through the cave to get to Spear Pillar, I can FLY THERREEE.
kdjaskldjASjdldjskla

Rock smash and strength are irrelevant, too. I'm sure if your pokemon can MOVE the rock, you can easily walk around the rock. Or fly over it. And if the rock is smashable, you should be able to walk over or around it, as well. Same with cuttable trees.

I approve of this post. I agree with every word.

You know what I think would be interesting? If the games had a leveling up system similar to Final Fantasy X with the sphere grid. When the time came - high enough level, enough key spheres - you'd teach your Pokemon the ability to Fly, which could be accessed on the field whenever you wish to go anywhere. Replace that move with a brand new, just as powerful move fitting that type - I dunno, WING STORM or something like that.

Two things I hate on, though under normal conditions I don't really hate on anything like this.

1: The Spiky Eared Pichu. Seriously, we lose an entire Level 30 Celebi to this thing. You can't evolve it, you can't even enter it in LC due to it's Level, it apparently doesn't learn any moves other than what it starts with, and you can't even transfer it over to the 5th Gen. What to I have to say about that? Completely pointless.

2: The Pokemon Musicals. They sound very girly compared to contests. Hopefully potential R/S remakes ditch these for the return of Pokemon Contests.

In game help system that can be acessed at any time.

:/

i actually really enjoyed that in FR/LG, since i was coming straight from Gold after a few years, i needed a refresher as i'm sure other novice trainers did too. i mean, its there for the newbies, not the seasoned, if you don't need it, fine, it doesn't require you to hit those buttons.

The play time clock.

If it weren't for it, I would leave my Pokemon games on forever and endlessly train.(Then again, most of my favorite games have that stupid feature) Also that stupid Old Man in FR/LG that gives you the useless Teachy TV.

(see above) plus i liked having a lil tv with me (even though it didn't have real channels). it was a mindless addition that you didn't need to use, but had if you were new.

The phone/match call. Why? They're not a vs. seeker. Why do I have level 35 pokemon when I'm trying to go up against tate & liza? BECAUSE I CAN'T BATTLE ANYBODY. RAGE. Why do I keep answering my own questions? Because it sounds cool. Isn't that a little wierd? No.

i second this. only though, i don't mind the match call so much but wish it was better inplimented to actually NOTIFY you when someone wants a match. and not only that, i hate having to go out and find someone in the middle of the hoenn ocean. that place is huge and its like trying to find a ditto amongst mew.

Two things I hate on, though under normal conditions I don't really hate on anything like this.

1: The Spiky Eared Pichu. Seriously, we lose an entire Level 30 Celebi to this thing. You can't evolve it, you can't even enter it in LC due to it's Level, it apparently doesn't learn any moves other than what it starts with, and you can't even transfer it over to the 5th Gen. What to I have to say about that? Completely pointless.

2: The Pokemon Musicals. They sound very girly compared to contests. Hopefully potential R/S remakes ditch these for the return of Pokemon Contests.

i really hated that :/ its the DEFINITION of a pointless fluff pokemon.

the only other things i didn't like was....i forgot, darn.
(will edit if i remember)

The PokéWalker. It's just a useless item that you get bored of quickly, you can only gain one level per session, and you have to walk miles to get Munchlax, Spiritomb or Feebas using it. *throws in fire*

Spiky Ear Pichu- cant evolve, cant be shiny, a waste of an event. They could've given us the GS Ball for Celebi

Shiny Checks- ok, just plain annoying and I hate their reason behind it.

Pokeblocks/Poffins- its too hard to evolve Feebas with this method when you want a Milotic. If you mess up and give it the wrong ones, you have to start over with a new Feebas

Pokemon Musicals- a cute idea at first, but you dont do anything and its really boring

Voltorb Flip- What can I say, I hate Voltorb flip, i never get past level 3, and i just want some coins to buy some Pokemon

the GTS- Oh my god, good concept gone wrong. It all started with a genius idea. A place where people all over the world with wi-fi can search for pokemon they want and offer their own. Now the GTS is the worse thing ever. Immature people who think its funny to ask for a level 100 pokemon or a mew for everything, and alot of pokemon there are hacked, because they think its great to rip people off or dont understand what a reasonable trade is.

Roaming legendaries. A pokemon with a catch rate of 3, always runs from battle after the first move. Changes routes randomly when you move with nonsensical distance and no apparent pattern and you only get 1-2 master balls when a game has like 5 of these running around. And to top it all off you can't use the synchronize trick or soft reset for IVs or natures. Why hasn't Gamefreak realized no one likes this mechanic?

And to top it all off you can't use the synchronize trick or soft reset for IVs or natures. Why hasn't Gamefreak realized no one likes this mechanic?

Isn't all that generated when you first see it appear in battle though? Or is that generated from the very instance they start to roam?

Isn't all that generated when you first see it appear in battle though? Or is that generated from the very instance they start to roam?

I'm pretty sure it's determined when they roam. I've tried to soft reset natures and IVs for Latios in SS but it's the same each time. I heard if you Ko Latios or any of the legendary Beasts in HGSS they can respawn if you beat the Elite four with different natures and IVs can anyone confirm this?

I'm pretty sure it's determined when they roam. I've tried to soft reset natures and IVs for Latios in SS but it's the same each time. I heard if you Ko Latios or any of the legendary Beasts in HGSS they can respawn if you beat the Elite four with different natures and IVs can anyone confirm this?
Yes, when playing through SoulSilver, I saved the game before encountering Latios, threw my Master Ball at him, but sadly he turned out to have a Sassy nature. I then soft reset and knocked him out, and after defeating the Elite Four again, used the Master Ball on him, and this time, his nature was Rash-still not the best, but at least usable.
Anyways, this is not really an addition per se, but linear region designs and the abundance of NPC roadblocks, such as the men dancing for no reason in Black 2/White 2.

1. HMs. Just... HMs. Good thing they're gone for good and I can finally make a party however I want!

2. Pikachu formes. All of them. It's enough to see that damn rat in every Pokémon game that does not take place in Unova, why would I want more see any more varieties? On the other hand, that made defeating Hau (and in the future, Trace) oddly satisfying.

Mega Evolutions, while the concept was good, it was executed in the wrong way, mainly because of the fact that it was given to Pokemon who were already popular to begin with. Oh and also, battle exclusive transformations in general, seriously Primal Reversion is just a glorified version of Giratina's Origin form. Not to mention that many Pokemon in general needed normal evolutions before getting Mega Evolutions like Mawile.

Last edited:
I discovered something today, apparently Blue was going to have character development in Pokémon 2:

Drvb0CzWwAI4sYX.png

So instead of saying what additions I hate, I'm gonna say what I hate wasn't added. Thanks, Game Freak, for not giving development to a character that actually needed it!

P.S.: Sorry if the post sounds confusing, but I tried my best explaining it.

IVs. The Pokemon you meet in your journey will just be weaker versions of Pokemon that have been bred. Until Gen 7, there wasn't even any way to alter them beyond breeding, and while I have a lot of respect to dedicated breeders, IV breeding is set up to where all that matters is how much time you put into it. (and a bit of luck, but chance is a factor even in battle, so) EVs add the challenge of figuring out which stat you want to bring out more (like a lot of RPGs do), and breeding still has plenty of fun to it, like egg moves or passing on Poke Balls. But IVs just set you at a disadvantage unless you spend time walking back and forth or fishing for a bunch of items. (and while fishing is fun in some games, Pokemon's fishing is just pressing A-not bad gameplay, but not enough to be entertaining to fish up a bunch of bottle caps-especially considering maxing out your team's stats would take at least 30.)

generation 5 and gen 7 main legendary getting 2 weird forms... at least gen 7 gave it it own oryginal third form.
Our ice/dragon would need a mega for itself in future.

This kind of Cross forms are not for me.

I don't know, I love fusion forms and hope that fusion will be explored further, but only in the right game. (Hint hint, Gen 5 remakes)

IVs. The Pokemon you meet in your journey will just be weaker versions of Pokemon that have been bred. Until Gen 7, there wasn't even any way to alter them beyond breeding, and while I have a lot of respect to dedicated breeders, IV breeding is set up to where all that matters is how much time you put into it. (and a bit of luck, but chance is a factor even in battle, so) EVs add the challenge of figuring out which stat you want to bring out more (like a lot of RPGs do), and breeding still has plenty of fun to it, like egg moves or passing on Poke Balls. But IVs just set you at a disadvantage unless you spend time walking back and forth or fishing for a bunch of items. (and while fishing is fun in some games, Pokemon's fishing is just pressing A-not bad gameplay, but not enough to be entertaining to fish up a bunch of bottle caps-especially considering maxing out your team's stats would take at least 30.)
I get your sentiment entirely! And I prefer using my in-game team for things, they're the Pokemon I worked hard with. So, if you just happened to have gone with a Pokemon with a less ideal nature or IV spread, sucks to be you. At least the latter can be amended now. And admittedly, it does bring an extra layer of immersion and personality to the table. But it's a bummer that it automatically makes a lot of pokemon not viable for the main feature of the game: battles. And this becomes especially glaring in games where there's no sidequest that stresses the importance of different factors.

Which brings me to a substraction I dislike, rather than an addition. In Gen VI, nature no longer matters when feeding your Pokemon Pokeblock. But this was one of the features that made a Pokemon less suitable for battle possibly very suitable for contests. Cause the different competitions require different enhanced stats. For example, a ninjask used in battles might want a nature that boosts its speed, while a ninjask in contests much prefer a nature that boosts attack (and thus coolness)

EDIT: Ninjask can't do a lot with its attack stat cause it's just not very high... also, I realised it can learn quite a lot of Cute moves through TM, so you could run a competitively viably natured ninjask, but it would still need different movesets depending on what competition you use it for

Last edited:
Honestly I feel like IVs should be more like EVs in that as you train your pokemon it naturally becomes better with that stat. Just fuse the two together. Make it so vitamins actually boost the stat they boost instead of adding however many EVs to the total. Instead of battling certain pokemon to raise EVs in general maybe have access to something like super training. That way you don't end up with a pokemon with maxed out speed EVs because you were grinding in an area with spearow to level them up for a gym challenge. Also it would make vitamins actually worth something. I don't think I've ever really used vitamins in a game since Blue version when I was a kid. Plus they're unreasonably expensive, so they're even more worthless in games now.

I know it's not an addition per se, but the complete removal of the game corner with no replacement after heart gold/soul silver sucks. They could have easily changed the slot machine and coins system into an arcade game type thing with tickets for prizes instead. That'd allow for a variety of little minigames to play allowing for a fun break from pokemon battles. Though now that touchscreen features are no longer going to be part of the games a lot of ideas I'd have suggested wouldn't really be easy to implement anymore.

The fishing system in S/M/US/UM was just terrible. While I liked the idea of being able to fish up items as well as pokemon... being only able to fish in certain spots and having no rod upgrades meant that I always fished up magikarp. And I rarely ever fished up any items.

One-Use only codes for special legendaries and mythical pokemon. Hell man, the dang things are free codes. Just put a code out and LET IT BE A PERMANENT THING. Don't want someone to have 100 legit mews? Don't see why you're so obsessive over controlling how someone plays your game, but if it's that big an issue just set in a flag that the code can only be used so long as said legendary/mythical pokemon is not marked as caught for the player's pokedex.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom