• Another scrumptious episode of Bulbacast has been uploaded to YouTube. Watch it here. I hope you don't feel desserted after watching this one.
  • Hello all! The forum staff have introduced a new rule set. We've reduced the number of rules, made trick language easier to understand, and have hopefully simplified the rules to make understanding them easier. Please have a read over the new forum rules here.

What was the Worst addition to the Games?

colours

ᴄʟᴏᴄᴋ ᴛɪᴍᴇ ᴅᴏᴡɴ ᴛʜɪs ᴇᴍᴘᴛʏ sᴛʀᴇᴇᴛ
Reaction score
I felt that it was literally pointless to include Sky Battles in fifth gen if only less than handful of trainers are ever going to challenge you with it.

Hojewmire

Reaction score
Don't really know the reason why but, I seriously can't stand the Charizard Poké Ride. I find the animation to be way too long and annoying.

SharKing

I won't bite... much.
Reaction score
I felt that it was literally pointless to include Sky Battles in fifth gen if only less than handful of trainers are ever going to challenge you with it.
On top of that, for how pointless Sky Battles were, they had a damaging effect on some of the 3D Pokémon models that were introduced in XY. Because of how they had to look in Sky Battles, some Pokémon are stuck with unnaturally "floating" models in all subsequent games that use XY's models - some of the biggest offenders are Xatu, Skarmory, Swellow (how'd they screw that up?), Tropius, Salamence, and Eelektross.

Esserise

Her Wraith
Reaction score
Sky Battles were pointless, but I don't think I'd consider them the "worst" addition to the games. They're just shallow and poorly utilized, but the idea of a battle style with theme-limited party admission is somewhat interesting. And to mount an admittedlty feeble argument in Sky Battles' defense, they do at least make sense within Kalos's regional culture. A flashy, exclusionary style of battling in which only a small group of Trainers specialize? The logic is not too dissimilar from that of the Battle Chateau, though its participants are less pompous.

Eelektross.
... would probably have been floating no matter what. It's an eel that levitates through electromagnetism. It makes a lot more sense for it to float than for it to be doing that goofy happy dance from Gen 5.

Last edited:

colours

ᴄʟᴏᴄᴋ ᴛɪᴍᴇ ᴅᴏᴡɴ ᴛʜɪs ᴇᴍᴘᴛʏ sᴛʀᴇᴇᴛ
Reaction score
@Esserise they were, to me, the worst in terms of implementation. The concept of Sky Battles are neat, but the implementation of such left a lot to be desired. Apologies for not being clear on that. :c

Lord-Arceus

YOU WILL BOW TO ME.
Reaction score
The Rotom Pokédex, I'm divided with.

On the one hand, its in-game map and reminder of where I need to go whenever I load the game is real helpful.

On the other hand...it will NOT SHUT UP about "tips I never asked for" and asking me to save constantly (I'll save before a big battle, okay?).

prog rocker

Reaction score
The Rotom Pokédex, I'm divided with.

On the one hand, its in-game map and reminder of where I need to go whenever I load the game is real helpful.

On the other hand...it will NOT SHUT UP about "tips I never asked for" and asking me to save constantly (I'll save before a big battle, okay?).
That's why I want an option to turn it off in case something like that come back.

SharKing

I won't bite... much.
Reaction score
Ah yes, the Rotom Dex. I really didn't mind it when I played Moon, but in Ultra Moon, they managed to make the thing annoying, almost intrusively so. It certainly felt annoying when it covered up the map on the bottom screen for "advice I didn't ask for" (hey Rotom, did you ever think that there's a reason why I didn't ask for it?), and it always bugs me when it asks me to save the game not even a minute after I already saved the friggin' game!

And yes, the lack of an option to disable that is frustrating, though it's not surprising for a series of games that made their Poké Ball tutorials mandatory to sit through since Ruby and Sapphire.

PinkIceFox

PinkIceTales!
Reaction score
Maybe give us something like the Rotom Dex but instead of having a living pokemon inside it's an AI like Dexter in the first seasons of the anime. That way we can turn it off and not feel like we're basically slapping duct tape over a pokemon's mouth. I always felt the concept behind rotomdex to be creepy in the first place...

Gligarman

Reaction score
Natures, EV's, and IV's. Yup, I'm one of those! I use them but I hate them. All they do is make the game more difficult and tedious and it's the reason why so many "pro" players resort to cheating. The worst part is that EV's and IV's weren't even visible until recently for no good reason I could think of. I really like the idea of being able to manipulate their stats but why do we need three separate methods to do so? Natures just add a "luck of the draw" aspect that annoys the piss out of me. I shouldn't have to reset the game a million times to get ANYTHING! If they're serious about having a pro scene then they need to do something about this. The features added to the Let's Go games seem like a step in the right direction but the more they streamline this the better the game will get.

In regards to the Rotom Dex that was mentioned in previous comments, I like the idea of a living PokeDex and I like the idea of him giving you power-ups. What I don't like is his insistence on blocking your map so he can "give you advice you didn't ask for." That's just bad design.

Last edited:

PkmnTrainerV

Flame Trainer
Reaction score
Catching a Pokémon species over and over again and a focus on catching as many Pokémon as possible. An effort had been made to make Pokémon seem like real-world animals with you bonding with them an important part of the gameplay experience, specially with features like Amie, Refresh and playing with the partner in LGPE.
The catching the same Pokémon over and over again to gain boosts thing makes Pokémon seem like disposable beings which you catch just to provide boosts to the one in your party and that isn’t way Pokémon was building itself up to be.

This issue is much more prominent in Go when the Pokemon you first catch becomes virtually worthless and end up being transferred in favour of the more powerful, later caught version of the same species.
You just catch a bunch of Pokémon and send them to the professor to grind them up into candies to power up your perfect monsters.

Rocket Zigzagoon

Sell a Flareon
Reaction score
Personally I can't stand Abilities since for a rusted player, it can be very confusing.

Cainhxrst

Reaction score
the call for help mechanic that wild battles had in gen 7. it made wild battles such a chore for me

Gengarzilla

Intangible Interdimensional Interloper
Reaction score
Personally I can't stand Abilities since for a rusted player, it can be very confusing.
Really? I played absolutely no core Pokémon games at all between Blue and Diamond, but I had no difficulties adjusting to that big change. Same thing can be said about the Dark and Steel types, the Special Defense stat, as well as the physical/special split. Rust, by my experience, is very easy to shake off.

prog rocker

Reaction score
Specially since there are no complex abilities, although the secret properties of some of them are Guide Dang It! material. At least they are (mostly) minor.

Lilac~♡

Reaction score
I was not a fan of contests but they're pretty much optional so it's whatever. I didn't really like baby Pokémon either, some of them were well-designed but it was totally pointless.

Gligarman

Reaction score
Really? I played absolutely no core Pokémon games at all between Blue and Diamond, but I had no difficulties adjusting to that big change. Same thing can be said about the Dark and Steel types, the Special Defense stat, as well as the physical/special split. Rust, by my experience, is very easy to shake off.
Everyone has difficulty with different aspects of the game. I myself refused to acknowledge EV's and IV's until they made them visible and gave you the ability to manipulate them at will.