1. Interested in joining the Bulbagarden staff? See details here.
  2. Updated #2: The forums are going to be down Tomorrow (23rd of January) in the morning (JST) for maintenance as we upgrade the software to XenForo 2. Particularly of note is that blogs are going to be removed for the time being, but we are getting a lot of new features with the upgrade.

For more details, see this thread.

What was the Worst addition to the Games?

Discussion in 'Pokémon Video Games' started by DCM, Aug 1, 2010.

1. RileyXY1

RileyXY1 Young Battle Trainer

Blog Posts:
    We have Quick Balls for that.

2. Angelic Gardevoir

Angelic Gardevoir Member

Blog Posts:
    Gen I HMs. Why Gen I specifically? Because you can't delete them. I completely forgot about that and slapped Cut onto Dugtrio in Yellow thinking I could get rid of it later in Fuchsia City. Except...that was in FRLG. Whoops.

3. RileyXY1

RileyXY1 Young Battle Trainer

Blog Posts:
    However, in Gen 1, the HMs aren't really needed. Fly is only for convenience, Flash is only useful in Rock Tunnel, you only need Cut to get to Lt. Surge and Erika's gyms, you only need Surf to get to Cinnabar Island and the Power Plant, and Strength is only needed for Victory Road.

4. Angelic Gardevoir

Angelic Gardevoir Member

Blog Posts:
    Cut isn't necessary for most of the game but it's still useful to get stuff that's out of the way without having to go back and forth between the Pokemon Center. And if you're a kid on your first playthrough, you might teach Flash to someone in your main party without knowing that it's only needed for Rock Tunnel. The Move Deleter would've been particularly useful for the latter case.

To each their own, though.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
  5. BigBadButterfree

BigBadButterfree the Destroyer

Blog Posts:
    This isnt really an addition to the games per se, but the introduction of the internet has severely diminished my enjoyment of the series.

6. Rachael

Rachael Member

Blog Posts:
    The added/changed HMs over the years. Gens II and IV were the worst with *eight frickin' HMs*, more than half of which sucked. In fact, my favorite thing about Gen VII was the removal of HMs. Praise Jesus. I hadn't known how badly I'd needed that.

prog rocker likes this.
  7. prog rocker

prog rocker Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Don't forget Gen III and ORAS, that also required 8 HMs.

8. Bolt the Cat

Bolt the Cat Bringing the Thunder

Blog Posts:
    It was 3rd gen that had 8, not 2nd. 2nd had 7.

The only part I've really hated about HMs is needing to sacrifice a move or Pokemon, not so much the actual overworld functions. I actually think most of them have been fairly useful and add something to the overworld. Having obstacles and overworld puzzles makes the overworld more interesting to explore. I'd actually like to see some of these come back as ride moves/field abilities/whatever they want to do.

TechSkylander1518 likes this.
  9. prog rocker

Blog Posts:
    There's also the fact that they force you to use Pokémon you don't care at all. It's for that reason that I only used my starter to beat Gen I through VI. If I can't use what I want when I want, why should I bother making a team?

10. Sarchops

Sarchops New Member

Blog Posts:
    Never been big on Gen 5's little cinema side quest, It's fine on it's own, but breaks the flow of Black and White 2, as someone who's attempted to replay Black 2 a few times I got so tired of the cinema that I would just stop playing the game

11. Dragostea D'Entei

Dragostea D'Entei Getting Ready to Pounce

Blog Posts:
    I do not like how Sturdy changed in Gen 5. It always feels like they're cheating.

prog rocker likes this.
  12. prog rocker

Blog Posts:
    Tell me about it. It's the one reason I almost rage-quitted when I did a Butterfree-only run in the Gen V through VII games. It also annoyed me when I did one with Charizard, too.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.