• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What was the Worst addition to the Games?

So far I would have to say contests. They really add nothing to the games but just a lame 5 minute mini-game.

Contests, although I can forgive them for not detracting from the story.

Eventually, I got annoyed with the music and OHKO'd Groudon. I didn't know you could capture it - there was absolutely no indication that you could. In fact, how does a kid even capture a freaking uber?
:sweat:
That's what they gave you the masterball for. A 10 year old could have told you that. I guess I understand though.

So, TLDR; Ruby was my first game (favorite game if you count nostalgia as a creditable reason to like something), and even when I was a kid, the target age group... the plot made no sense and completely detracted from my experience. I seriously enjoyed beating up grunts more than I cared about saving the world. XD

Of course nostalgia is a credible reason for liking something. Doesn't make the game any better though.

Team magma may have been stupid, but team aqua was stupid and suicidal, or really really stupid.

Super contests ruined contests, but really it is the pokemon that matter. I'm gonna buy the games no matter what.

HM moves in general. They would be fine if there were four or five max, but now you either have to replace a team member with an HM whore slave, or teach most of your team two HMs each. It makes your team lose a lot of potential, otherwise my Skarmory would never have learned Cut and my Typhlosion would have never learned Rock Climb. Defog, Flash, and Rock Smash are by far the worst though, at least the others have SOME value in battle....some..

WHIRLPOOL BEING A HM!!!!! My Prinplup learned it by leveling up but WTF!!! He couldn't not learn it!

A bad addition to the game IMO is that fact that GF doesnt know the basics of weather. Some D/P/Pt pokemon have an ability called "snow warning" first of all there is no such thing as a snow warning, it should have been called blizzard warning. Second of all what the ability does is make it hail, WTF?? It cannot hail in conditions when it could snow, and snow and hail are not the same thing. Being stuck out in a blizzard would take HP from a pokemon trust me. This needs to be fixed in Gen V this is one of the most ridiculous thing i have seen.

To agree with other posts yes most of the HM's dont make sense. All water pokemon can surf naturally (and lapras in HG/SS is encountered surfing on the water, but yet did not know surf as a move) and any pokemon that would be able to learn the fly HM is already able to fly with out it. And yes you would be able to fly over most of the obstacles and most of the way up mountains, whirlpool makes reletive sense, but not in the way it is shown in Gen IV. You couldnt just surf over the whirlpool, you would have to make it go away (like it was done in Gen II).

Last edited:
The worst addition to the game IMO is that fact that GF doesnt know the basics of weather. Some D/P/Pt pokemon have an ability called "snow warning" first of all there is no such thing as a snow warning, it should have been called blizzard warning. Second of all what the ability does is make it hail, WTF?? It cannot hail in conditions when it could snow, and snow and hail are not the same thing. Being stuck out in a blizzard would take HP from a pokemon trust me. This needs to be fixed in Gen V this is one of the most ridiculous thing i have seen.

I really think you're over-exaggerating. The name of an ability is the worst addition to the games?

To agree with other posts yes most of the HM's dont make sense. All water pokemon can surf naturally (and lapras in HG/SS is encountered surfing on the water, but yet did not know surf as a move) and any pokemon that would be able to learn the fly HM is already able to fly with out it. And yes you would be able to fly over most of the obstacles and most of the way up mountains, whirlpool makes reletive sense, but not in the way it is shown in Gen IV. You couldnt just surf over the whirlpool, you would have to make it go away (like it was done in Gen II).

Why do you care about what makes sense? This is Pokemon we're talking about here; where ten-year-olds leave their homes to pursue the sport of dogfighting, only with a variety of animals, all of which posses supernatural abilities.

I really think you're over-exaggerating. The name of an ability is the worst addition to the games?

Why do you care about what makes sense? This is Pokemon we're talking about here; where ten-year-olds leave their homes to pursue the sport of dogfighting, only with a variety of animals, all of which posses supernatural abilities.

I did exagerate a little about it being the worst thing, but the hail/snow thing really kinda bugs me. I mean all the other weather conditions were cool and relevent then all the sudden they do something that makes no sense at all. And i was just agreeing with the others and the "makes sense" comment was about how the whirlpool was counteracted in Gen II which was correct. I will edit the comment about the worst, but the comment still belongs in this thread.

The Gameboy Advance Gam*SHOT*

Yeah, ah... I liked RSE's contests, even if I didn't care too much for the games themselves, but I hate what they did to them with the whole 'dress up' thing in DPPt, and to be utterly frank, Pokemon Musicals seems to be the second time they have taken a good idea, Pokemon 'Dog Shows', and ruined them.

KISS is not a bad philosophy, GameFreak.

i really hate it when your bag filled up in the first Generation of games, increasing the size and making different pockets was a good move

in some ways, the GTS. having the option to trade with more people is great, except for the fact that i can't trade for a Mankey to my SS version without coughing up a DARKRAI. σ____σ i hate that users clog up the GTS with requests for things like event or legendary Pokemon.

i also hate that you can't offer a pokemon for one that isn't on the GTS to begin with. well, what's the point in that? if i'm looking for a certain one and it's not there, how else am i supposed to find it then?

also, the new Safari Zone is just confusing.

in some ways, the GTS. having the option to trade with more people is great, except for the fact that i can't trade for a Mankey to my SS version without coughing up a DARKRAI. σ____σ i hate that users clog up the GTS with requests for things like event or legendary Pokemon.

i also hate that you can't offer a pokemon for one that isn't on the GTS to begin with. well, what's the point in that? if i'm looking for a certain one and it's not there, how else am i supposed to find it then?

also, the new Safari Zone is just confusing.

Yes, not to mention that the amount of hacks that show up on GTS, i mean the brilliant minds at game freak cant make a better filter?

contests

very hard to win at higher levels and they get boring

im very happy that they are replaced.

also defog was a crappy move for a HM.

Yes, not to mention that the amount of hacks that show up on GTS, i mean the brilliant minds at game freak cant make a better filter?
though at one point, they wouldn't let any legendaries through the GTS, but everyone complained and they lifted the ban. :\ (i know it says it was a 'technical difficulty', but i find it hard to buy.)

i honestly don't mind if people are hunting down legendaries (hey, i am too) but yeah, there needs to be a filter implimented.

And Game Freak people aren't in charge of the GTS servers, even when they created the feature and the base/source code.

I did exagerate a little about it being the worst thing, but the hail/snow thing really kinda bugs me. I mean all the other weather conditions were cool and relevent then all the sudden they do something that makes no sense at all.

That's due to the limitations of how that specific move was handled in-game to reduce the number of weather conditions present, not because of the move per se; in any case, they should have introduced separate weathers for both hail and snow. Moreover, the words 'Snow Warning' aren't even the literal translation of what the Japanese name means so in that regard is just the fault of the localizers.

And of course, if we actually want to get serious, a sandstorm isn't exactly a weather condition.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​
For me, one of the worst additions is the Pokéathlon: it's so boring, suffers from bad mechanics and mildly laggy controls (that's the price you have to pay for Game Freak's first attempt at adding a feature that builds on both touch screen interaction and statistical performance data) and it's a requirement if you want another Trainer Card Star. Furthermore, internally (in the Pokémon data structure that's it) the performance stats don't have even a true, separate address like the Contest condition values and thus the increase given by using Aprijuice is merely temporary while your Pokémon is in the party. Contests (mostly the RSE incarnation of them) are infinitely way better.

Overall, I don't like the feature, even with the bragging rights content it deliberately brings into question.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom