• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What was the Worst addition to the Games?

I was not a fan of contests but they're pretty much optional so it's whatever. I didn't really like baby Pokémon either, some of them were well-designed but it was totally pointless.
Myeah, they add maybe a little in terms of lore and it was a good way to introduce the breeding system. But most of them don't really offer much of a benefit. I think they could have pushed the moveset difference between the incense holders more at least. And I think tyrogue was a good way to link two unconnected but similar pokemon

Ultra Warp Ride for obtaining legendaries. With even the rarest of Pokemon, all you have to do is push some buttons to avoid battles, in a process that wouldn't take more than 30 seconds per try, but in this feature you have to sit through a 3-minute minigame only to stumble into something useless. It doesn't help that there are like 20 common Pokemon available compared to 30+ legendaries, so by the time you obtain a legendary you've probably seen the common ones waaay more times than you should. Also, the game actively makes you screw up by not placing the light balls correctly and sucking you into the useless holes. The minigame would've easier if it had 3D, as the depth could help you see the light balls and the Ultra Holes clearly, but nope. Also, there should be a way trio masters should be more common if you have the corresponding legendary duo on your team, but as there aren't, your only options is to have the duos in your team ALL THE TIME for it to appear due to the rareness.

Advice is welcomed, as it seems I'm the only one to hate this feature. And yes, I'm not using the gyroscope mode.

Pokemon Amie.

Its just a blatant Nintendogs rip-off, and for what? I already roleplay all the stuff Pokemon Amie pushes in my head, whilst I'm playing the actual game. If I didnt love Sylveon, I'd never touch it, and I despise that I have to play it for that reason.

The introduction of Legendary pokemon to the plot. Now that every game revolves around saving the world, they're cheesier and more child-like.

I think this is an ongoing video game trend. Elder Scrolls turns the player character into more and more of a snowflake with each instalment, and all I wanna do is roleplay as an average citizen, you know?

I find myself often going back to GSC and RBY a lot for this same reason. You're not "the Chosen One", you're just a trainer, and for the most part, the game just leaves you alone to do just that.

@Dieter

I think the Contests are a like marmite thing. I personally love them, but thats because I like the non-combative gameplay, ribbon collecting, cooking etc. The best part is when if you do it really well you can get your Pokemon's portrait in the Lilycove Museum; that was the biggest draw for me, and I guess the equivalent of beating the Elite 4 for coordinators like myself back then haha.

I just wish GF would make alternative trainer pathways like contests, musicals, pokeathlon and so on a consistent thing every game, for people like me.

Rotom Dex is the worst in my opinion. We lost the PSS, DexNav, Super Training, and other 2nd screen apps so we could have a lone map on the bottom screen (in a linear, story driven game, where you really can't get lost, even if you want to). And unlike previous games, XY or ORAS for example, you can't turn it off or switch to a different app.

Even as a map, it's not very well featured. It only has event flags, and it stops functioning after the credits. After a while it'll start repeating the same dialogue over and over again. Sometimes that actually limits your view of the map, which sucks if you did happen to find it useful...The AreaNav in ORAS on the other hand let you spot Trainer Rematches, Secret Base Locations, and Berries that were ready to be farmed. Something as old as the Poketch had apps like the Berry Tracker and Marking Map. The PokeGear in HGSS had a sort of marking map of it's own, with icons that you could plant on different areas, and displaying roaming Pokemon locations. Might've been nice if it showed you Zygarde Cells, a quest log or something.

None of this was fixed in the Ultra games either. They just shove it down your throat more in those games. It has a sad face if you don't play with it. It's the only way to get O-Powers back (and they're super gimped). It has more dialogue. More interactions. They really wanted you to like this thing, and it comes off as intrusive to me. Because previous games gave you an array of tools to choose from to compliment your journey.

It's one of the biggest reasons why I SM is my least favorite set of games. SO much functionality was thrown out the window and we got nothing in return.

Pokemon Amie.

Its just a blatant Nintendogs rip-off, and for what?
I'm pretty sure Nintedogs didn't invent the concept of petting and feeding animals. That's like saying Mario Tennis is a ripoff of Wii Sports.

I already roleplay all the stuff Pokemon Amie pushes in my head, whilst I'm playing the actual game.
Not everyone enjoys roleplaying in place of gameplay. (and if we took roleplaying as a fair substitute for it, there'd be no reason for the games at all, because you could just roleplay Pokemon in your head)

I find myself often going back to GSC and RBY a lot for this same reason. You're not "the Chosen One", you're just a trainer, and for the most part, the game just leaves you alone to do just that.

Crystal definitely used the Chosen One trope, Suicune's interest in the player is a major plot point. And aside from that and BW, I'm pretty sure no other game uses the Chosen One trope? The player only encounters the legendary because of a villainous team summoning it.

Crystal definitely used the Chosen One trope, Suicune's interest in the player is a major plot point. And aside from that and BW, I'm pretty sure no other game uses the Chosen One trope? The player only encounters the legendary because of a villainous team summoning it.
Well, Black/White were kind of subverting it, if I read the situation correctly. Doesn't help that everything but the meeting with the protagonist was engineered by Ghetsis, not a legendary. In the rest of the games, well:

Gen I: You fight Team Rocket just because, I guess. Legendaries just exist.
Gen II: Ho-Oh and Lugia only go with you because you have the Rainbow and Silver Wings. Played straight in HGSS, where the Kimono Girls choose you to meet Ho-Oh/Lugia.
Gen III: You only fight the legendary because Team Aqua/Magma summoned it. In Emerald, you only catch them in the post-game. Possibly played straight with the Delta Episode.
Gen IV: You only fight the legendaries to stop Cyrus.
Gen V: In Black/White 2, you get chosen by the Swords of Justice. But they don't have anything to do with the story, so I don't know how you consider them.
Gen VI: You catch Xerneas/Yveltal to save it from Lysandre.
Gen VII: Solgaleo/Lunala are more like a prize you get for beating the story, it's even optional in USUM. In USUM, you only fight against Necrozma because you are the strongest person present.

Last edited:
Pokemon Amie.

Its just a blatant Nintendogs rip-off, and for what? I already roleplay all the stuff Pokemon Amie pushes in my head, whilst I'm playing the actual game. If I didnt love Sylveon, I'd never touch it, and I despise that I have to play it for that reason.

@TechSkylander1518 already mentioned why I disagree with you there. Thanks!
I'm pretty sure Nintedogs didn't invent the concept of petting and feeding animals. That's like saying Mario Tennis is a ripoff of Wii Sports.

Not everyone enjoys roleplaying in place of gameplay. (and if we took roleplaying as a fair substitute for it, there'd be no reason for the games at all, because you could just roleplay Pokemon in your head)

In addition to this, I think Amie was a nice way to show off the new 3D models, and showed us new, endearing sides of previously terrifying Pokémon like various Legendaries.
Amie has given us many gems like this:
90E37D7D-C5FF-4086-8E60-B45606002621.jpeg

And who doesn’t love playing with their Pokémon using the closest medium to real life?

Last edited:
While I enjoy roleplaying, I have to disagree about Pokemon Amie being the worst addition, being able to pet, feed and get a reaction from a Pokemon is really the closest we'll ever get to Pokemon in real life. This feature is not questionable like the Fire Emblem version of it (unless you use it for Gardevoir or the Machamp line).

Oh man I love Pokemon Amie so much. I miss the little minigames that were removed from it for sun and moon. Amie/Refresh and the Photo club are wonderful for feeling bonded with my pokemon and are perfect for nuzlockes in my eyes~

The way Festival Plaza was implemented was the worst to me. Super Limited space for stalls, certain stalls only found in a specific version, no way to find friends easily... it could have been so much better. I wouldn't mind if the stalls returned in the next generation in something like a carnival area with a bonus of minigames we can play for tokens to get prizes and stuff. Even the dye houses would be nice if instead of having every color with different star levels... just make one dye house with all of the colors available.

I don't like the current set up for the GTS, it makes some, actually scratch that, most trades take too long to happen, becoming a cluttered mess that the GTS eventually becomes. A few ways to fix it is to allow players request the Pokemon to hold an evolutionary item, like requesting a Porygon holding an Upgrade, a Porygon2 holding a Dubious Disk, a Magmar holding a Magmariser and so on. Another step is to put the Pokemon up for trade on a timer, this will solve the problem of the clutter made by requests for Mythical Pokemon. If the timer reaches its limit, the Pokemon will go back to the player's party or PC box.

While I enjoy roleplaying, I have to disagree about Pokemon Amie being the worst addition, being able to pet, feed and get a reaction from a Pokemon is really the closest we'll ever get to Pokemon in real life. This feature is not questionable like the Fire Emblem version of it (unless you use it for Gardevoir or the Machamp line).
Right. The FE one was actually uncomfortable to me to the point I'm glad they took it out. Doesn't help that (from what I read) some lines made it sound like you were doing something else. Although I agree that petting humanoid Pokémon can look kinda creepy

Infact Pokemon Amie is a competitor for the best addition to the 3D games imo.

Until you remember you're forced to use it if you want a Sylveon ...

Honestly I find that the most damning feature about Pokemon Amie. Like if you want to use it, cool, idc, but why do I HAVE to just to get my favourite eeveelution :(

Honestly I find that the most damning feature about Pokemon Amie. Like if you want to use it, cool, idc, but why do I HAVE to just to get my favourite eeveelution :(
Because all Eeveelutions use an evolution method that debuts in the same Gen as them?

Rotom Dex is the worst in my opinion. (...) None of this was fixed in the Ultra games either. They just shove it down your throat more in those games. It has a sad face if you don't play with it. It's the only way to get O-Powers back (and they're super gimped). It has more dialogue. More interactions. They really wanted you to like this thing, and it comes off as intrusive to me. Because previous games gave you an array of tools to choose from to compliment your journey.
It's even sadder that that was the second screen's final use after 11 years. :cry:

In Gen 7 you can use Rainbow Pokebeans and get a Sylveon within minutes skipping most of the petting.

Because all Eeveelutions use an evolution method that debuts in the same Gen as them?

So I take it you know of another way to get Sylveon in Gen VI?

It's even sadder that that was the second screen's final use after 11 years. :cry:
In Gen 7 you can use Rainbow Pokebeans and get a Sylveon within minutes skipping most of the petting.

But you still have to use Pokemon Amie :/

So I take it you know of another way to get Sylveon in Gen VI?
That was not what I was trying to say. I said that every Eeveelution uses a method that debuted in their respective generation.

Gen I: Stones
Gen II: Happiness + Time of Day
Gen IV: Locations
Gen VI: Pokémon Amie and its future successors.

Also, if you want to lessen your dislike for Amie a little bit, think of the benefits it has aside from Sylveon: They cure themselves from status effects, crits are more common and they have an automatic Focus Band-like effect making your survival more likely.

Unless you play competitive, then I can't help you because I don't care about it.

EDIT: Also, in Refresh you can heal your Pokémon from status afflictions, which is a good thing if you don't have the items to heal them or is the early game where paralysis and poison are common.

But you still have to use Pokemon Amie :/

Oh no, you gotta hop into refresh, give a rainbow pokebean, and then leave refresh!

Honestly, Dude, why are you so hung up on amie/refresh? There are no real negatives to using it. It's literally only benefits. Especially in SM/USUM where with the bonuses you get in battle also now have the ability to cure status ailments easily.

maybe something like festival plaza. it was a really good idea but it was implemented badly which made it annoying to use

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom