• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What was with 4Kids adding so many Pokeshipping hints?

All true statements, but I always felt there were subtle hints to Ash x Misty, even in the original Japanese version. That's just me, though. lol.

From what I understand, there were hints that they liked each other in the Japanese version. 4Kids just crushed any bit of subtle with their songs and adding in a line about her in the Jirachi movie. Adding in more signs in the show was okay, but they went really overboard with the songs to the point that, at least in retrospect, it's just kind of silly. I wouldn't call myself a Pokeshipper, although I can understand that Ash pairing more than most of the other ones, but they just went so far with beating it into the ground to the point where all subtle was lost, as most everything else that was subtle in their dubs.

I kind of felt it was rather obvious from the start the two liked each other (xD), so I'm fine with them when it comes to Pokeshipping. Again, that's just me, though. I didn't mind, though.

I kind of felt it was rather obvious from the start the two liked each other (xD), so I'm fine with them when it comes to Pokeshipping. Again, that's just me, though. I didn't mind, though.

I honestly thought it was pretty obvious too, even if 4Kids didn't try to make it look more obvious, but it still came off as a bit much in retrospect.

There were a few hints in the original version and as a kid I did think that they liked each other. Now though Ash is so dense so I can't really imagine him liking anyone right now XD

I just hate the way 4Kids constantly repeats the same messages and spams these messages over and over again as if they really wanted kids to believe that these things were really true. They liked Pokeshipping? Why not keep adding a bunch of hints and have Misty sing about her love for Ash to really get children to believe that these two are soulmates? I remember in an episode of their One Piece dub where Nami was supposed to stab Usopp with a "rubber knife" (it was a real knife in the original) and she constantly kept saying "It's your rubber knife. Remember that I'm gonna stab you with this rubber knife." The of course there's the Shadow Realm and "sent to the stars" with Yu-Gi-Oh and YGO GX and painting a gun to make it look like a super soaker.

Sometimes I don't think that the guys at 4Kids realize that kids are smarter than the give them credit for, but I better stop now before this just turns into a rant about how I hate 4Kids and their ridiculous ways.

I'll admit, if there was any couple for me to ship on Pokemon it would probably be Pokeshipping. It's just that I think that 4Kids really overdid it. Having hints in the show is one thing, but the movies and the songs overdid it a bit.

Question 1- Why is this question being asked after all this time?

Question 2- Does it matter anymore since the shipping died?

I mean so what if they had the most doesn't mean anything if the constant replacing of girls will continue. And who's to say if Ash won't like some random girl in the future? One shipping doesn't dictate one's whole future. This is why I'm glad it stopped because it wouldn't make sense to keep going with it if one of the characters is no longer on the show.

Question 1- Why is this question being asked after all this time?

Question 2- Does it matter anymore since the shipping died?

I mean so what if they had the most doesn't mean anything if the constant replacing of girls will continue. And who's to say if Ash won't like some random girl in the future? One shipping doesn't dictate one's whole future. This is why I'm glad it stopped because it wouldn't make sense to keep going with it if one of the characters is no longer on the show.

I don't think that it matters that this question came up after all this time. I think it's a perfectly valid question and there is some room for discussion about the different reasons why they added so many Pokeshipping hints in the series. As for the second question, I'm not sure if the ship died per say, but it just wasn't a focus anymore, even in the more subtle version in the Japanese version of the show. Besides that, it was more fueled by the fans than anything on-screen, so that keeps most any ship going.

For me, they have done hints of having a klove reelationship in the anime for all the girls that has take part in the show except Iris. And generally I thoughtt that many of the hints come from the girl and not for Ash.

I thinl that if the show were to end (at least for Ash), the main writer plans to do a possible ending (who they don't) qheree Ash ends the journeyon screen with the past girl.
I think that if the series ended in Kanto, Ash will go wth Misty, sae if Ash leaves in Johto. If Ash wereto avin Hoenn ash would go with May and if Ash were to go after Sinnoh, Ash will go with Dawn. I wonder what happened if Ash was supposed to go after Unoa because IN don't see Iris as a ending to be with Ash for two reasons; Iris' game storyline and Iris being too kiddy for me.

For me, Pokeshhiping and Pearlshipping has been the most hinted shipping and not for casuality. The first ne because the series were to end after Kanto and if not, after Johto (Johto is planned early, the rest lasted a lot of years in being implanted into the anime). And the second because the writers think that Ash will end his journey after Sinnoh and do a reboot (it didn't happen because the marketing team stopped the reboot)

Iternationally, Poke was given special treatment but Pearl has been ignored.

Like others have said, I think it's to add a bit more to the anime and get more females to watch it. Most people like a bit of romance, so why not throw it in? But I'm wondering if 4Kids put in their own hints after PokeShipping started or before it started. Maybe they added more hints after people started seeing a romance between the two characters so they could keep the viewers watching to see the romance play out.

I don't really like the fact they added hints, mostly because people that know that 4Kids added hints will be like: POKESHIPPING DOESN'T EXIST IT'S ALL THE TRICK OF 4KIDS IT'S ILLUMINATI THEY ARE BRAINWASHING YOU or some stupid crap like that. Also because some part of the PokeShipping group/fandom/thing think that the 4Kids hints are canon (cannon? I don't know how to spell it) and so when defending PokeShipping, the first thing they'll bring up is how Misty's Song talks about how much she luuuuurrrvvvsss Ash and that they should be together forever (though I'm not going to lie, I was sort of like that when I first became a PokeShipper, but I didn't use 4Kids hints or whatever, just talked about how they would end up together at the end or something. Which I'm still 50/50 on). So yeah, I would have preferred a dubbed series without the added hints.

But why ADD a relationship in one series, and then TAKE AWAY a subtle one in another?

Because they're jerks like that.

How ironic. They go the extra mile to eliminate sexual content and fanservice in everything else they dub (or even plays on the CW)(sometimes I wonder if that's part of why Pokémon is one of the Most Fanservice Free Anime Ever), yet with the OS they wanted people to fantasize about kid on kid action... -_-

meant for humor. chill

Well they obviously liked misty a lot since I don't remember that many advanceshipping evidence in their dub.

They added the "one day we'll be married" quip and Ash speaking of her with no romantic undertones in Jirachi, and the closest any of the dub songs got to the anime, sans the redone departure montage for Misty, was an instrumental in a situation that had nothing to do with Pokeshipping. That's about it; pretty much everything else was also in the Japanese version. The subplot of the second movie still revolved around Misty liking Ash (although they laid it on a little thicker to make it more palpable to the American audience), Misty still got jealous over Macy and Melody, and accused of being his girlfriend on both occasions, she still dropped Togepi when Latias kissed Ash, Rudy still teased Ash, she still blushed on a couple of occasions, and so on.

They obviously decided to unceremoniously drop the storyline after the Chronicle episode hint (something that wasn't even in the dub) when it became clear that they were going to cycle through new group members until television as a entertainment medium collapses, but to say that it didn't have a presence in the Japanese version during the original series, specifically the Orange Islands, is just being silly. Hell, they've never even came out in the show to have Misty deny liking him with no blushing or jealousy like they did with both May and Dawn with their respective Ash ships, and had Misty herself do when accused of being Tracey's girlfriend, and they had a plethora of opportunities to do so when she made her cameos in AG.

Last edited:
To have a gimmick

Why do I love you right now?

That's seriously what I used to think back in the old days. But I never saw the two as ever getting together because Ash never seemed all that interested in Misty in the first place. Plus there were times when she was barley doing anything when he was doing so much it seemed like if they had both something more to achieve together then maybe I would have seen things differently. But I'm glad the hints died because fans talking about it was more annoying than the show hinting it.

4kids added only couple of hints with most of them coming from original, Japanese version. So it would be in least hand incongruous to describe them as biased shippers which twisted dialogue to their own according when whole idea of Ash x Misty pairing originated from original script.

After all depending on how you interpret it some of strongest hints which implied one sided liking(though arguably in some rare moments Ash showed agitation too) happened in second movie, Orange Islands, certain Johto episodes and chronicles until Misty stopped appearing being product of writers labor.

Dubbers most likely found whole concept of girl which hides her romantic affection toward protagonist cute only deciding to expand on what was already established before.
In order to make things more palpable and easier to understand for western audience.

Personally i had no problems with that because little flirting or jealousy at times never killed anyone. In fact this only added extra flavor to group dynamics diving more into character personalities making it all that more genuine, fun and relaxing to follow .
Also it was nice gesture from dub company to keep Misty consistently alive and referenced through AG generation thanks to their adds in dub dialogue, being way of preventing character from ending forgotten and act of appreciation they hold for character.

. Plus there were times when she was barley doing anything when he was doing so much it seemed like if they had both something more to achieve together then maybe I would have seen things differently. But I'm glad the hints died because fans talking about it was more annoying than the show hinting it.

To be fair character doesn't need to be equal to Ash in amount of focus he receives to be considered relevant and proactive in story.

Last edited:
Stop right there. We're not turning this thread into a general debate about how much Misty contributed to the show.

Well, it's not as if 4Kids hasn't done things like this before, in other anime, but I don't think it's really that drastic. I mean, yes, they did add a lot of Pokeshipping hints--they added the "You and I will get married one day" scene, the part in the Jirachi movie, and a few other parts, but that's about it.

I'm guessing that 4Kids did this to attract more viewers, since usually a romantic undertone helps with that. True, they added "Misty's song" and a bunch of other scenes, and over-exaggerated a lot, but I don't think they were actually trying to "brainwash" us into liking PokeShipping. because if that's the case then it didn't work That's just their interpretation of what the show should be like. Although it did deviate from the main plot a bit, it didn't really alter it that much, so I don't think it's really that big of a deal.

They just did what they wanted to do, and it's all in the past now. They did go overboard a bit, in my opinion, but it made PokeShippers happy, and didn't really affect the rest of us, so I don't see why we should make a big deal about it. But what I don't see is why this question is just coming up now, lol

haha but I do find the part in the jirachi movie kind of out of place, it seems really unnecessary and gets in the way of all the advanceshippiness while watching the dub

Things like Misty's Song, the Christmas song, and they completely changed the montage at the end of Johto to heavily focus on Misty and Ash.
Do we know who in 4Kids was actually behind the lyrics in Pokémon 2.B.A. Master from 29 June 1999 ? It appears to have preceded the adaptation in Pokemon Live.
Not like they played it during the actual anime, mind you.
Haven't seen a side-by-side of the before/after of the Johto montages, has anyone posted it somewhere?
Also not sure what Christmas Song references.

This makes me wonder about Misty's "you and I will be married someday too" from the dub of "Heartbreak of Brock", anyone know what she said originally? Whatever it was, Ash seemed to react forcefully to it, you can't change that with a rewrite

Funny the last reply comes from mid-2013, before Serena came and blew everyone’s minds.
Anyway I think that 4Kids wanted to spice things up so they made it seem like Misty had a thing for Ash even though that wasn’t true most of the time.

This makes me wonder about Misty's "you and I will be married someday too" from the dub of "Heartbreak of Brock", anyone know what she said originally? Whatever it was, Ash seemed to react forcefully to it, you can't change that with a rewrite
If I recall, in the original version, Ash and Misty were both reacting in shock at the realization that Brock finally met a girl that actually likes him back.

Last edited:
So... Did 4kids commission the mastermind 10th anniversary special that had misty in it?

From what I can understand:

あれはタケシに一目ぼれね

Kasumi: It's first time someone fell in love with Takeshi, right?

Satoshi: Yeah

Satoshi and Pikachu: Wait, WHAT!

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom