• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What was your favorite season of the anime?

What’s your favorite season of the anime? (Up to 5 choices)

• Pokémon: Indigo League

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Pokémon: Adventures in the Orange Islands

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Pokémon: The Johto Journeys

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Pokémon: Johto League Champions

• Pokémon: Master Quest

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Pokémon: Advanced

• Pokémon: Advanced Challenge

• Pokémon: Advanced Battle

• Pokémon: Battle Frontier

• Pokémon: Diamond and Pearl

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pokémon: DP Battle Dimension

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Pokémon: DP Galactic Battles

• Pokémon: DP Sinnoh League Victors

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Pokémon: Black & White

• Pokémon: BW Rival Destinies

• Pokémon: BW Adventures in Unova

• Pokémon: BW Adventures in Unova and Beyond

• Pokémon the Series: XY

• Pokémon the Series: XY Kalos Quest

• Pokémon the Series: XYZ

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Pokémon the Series: Sun & Moon

• Pokémon the Series: Sun & Moon—Ultra Adventures

• Pokémon the Series: Sun & Moon – Ultra Legends

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Pokémon Journeys: The Series

• Pokémon Master Journeys: The Series

• Pokémon Ultimate Journeys: The Series

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Pokémon: To Be a Pokémon Master

• Pokémon Horizons: The Series

• Pokémon Chronicles

• I prefer the movies more

• Total voters

ComicMimic

Kagamine Len fan !!
Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. They/Them
  2. Any
There’s been many series and seasons of Pokémon, and now I’m gathering up some data for what season people like the most!

May I say my line ; Threads are for fun, not fights

Not sure if I have a definitive #1 favorite season, an easy answer would be the Indigo League or Battle Frontier but idk.

These would be my 5 favorite seasons.

Indigo League : Great cast all-around from both the human and pokemon characters, great music/Pikachu's Jukebox/Pokerap and the comedy.

Master Quest : Mostly because of the Johto League where Ash used his reserves. Charizard, Bulbasaur and Squirtle each got their own moments. Charizard vs Blaziken aged well.

Advanced Battle : My favorite iteration of Ash and also the last season of Veronica Taylor voicing him. This had one of my favorite gym battles in Juan, the contests weren't at their best here but Drew and Harley were good enough rivals to keep me interested.The Hoenn League was great (at least I think so), it tends to get underrated a lot, it features 3 full battles which didn't happen in the other leagues. It also has the first battle frontier battle between Ash's Charizard and Noland's Articuno.

Battle Frontier : A consistent number of good-great intense battles. May vs Drew at the Kanto Grand Festival and then their rematch were the biggest standouts from the contests battles.

Sinnoh League Victors : I liked the mini story that involved Volkner and Flint, Ash got to face two of the Elite Four in this season, Ash vs Volkner was good. The Sinnoh League was of course a masterpiece nothing else needs to be said here.

I think Galactic Battles is underrated, if nothing else because the 8-part arc from Classroom Training to Evolving Strategies, which is just constant plot development in a seamless way. It also contains the resolution to the Team Galactic arc, which is pretty great, and a banger opening theme.

In no particular order:

• Indigo League: Comedy of gold, decent pacing and is fun to see Ash advancing and getting knowledge of the world.
  • Master Quest: Great arcs, decent fillers and is what Johto deserved to be from the start.
  • Advanced Battle: Contains great Hoenn episodes, the league and some BF episodes, it's hype all around.
  • Battle Dimension: It can really be viewed in isolation due to DP's structure, but the first half contains the best character moments in the series and the second half is fun too.
  • Rival Destinies: Pacing is wild, there is always something happening and to look forward to.
  • XYZ: It's not shonen at all but it's still memorable and has great storylines.
  • Ultra Legends: It was hard to decide between this and Ultra Adventures, both have great arcs but the later has more than a few unecessary fillers.
  • Ultimate Journeys: Once again the endgame wins due to bigger focus on the main characters' goals.

For mine:
I really like Battle Dimension and Sinnoh League victors, since it had many of the better Sinnoh episodes (personally) and a lot of development for Ash.
XYZ because the battles are chef's kiss and some of the development is very strong
Both the SM Ultra series have some terrible fillers, and the Power Rangers stuff was kinda corny, but otherwise it had tons of strong episodes and overall was just a fun ride.

Adventures in the Orange Islands
Master Quest
Advanced
Advanced Battle
Battle Frontier
Diamond and Pearl
Battle Dimension
Sinnoh League Victors
Black & White
Adventures in Unova
XY
XYZ
Sun & Moon
Sun & Moon: Ultra Legends
Ultimate Journeys

Last edited:
In order from best to worse:

Sun & Moon – Ultra Legends: Peak Alola. Peak ending to a league and the last one we'd see during Ash's journeys. Just peak fun for me. Loved it.

XYZ: Rough fillers in the first half and average league be damned, this was such a fun one for me back then with the Mega Evolution specials crossing over with the main anime. Team Flare also got the best ever villain arc and on a huge level that I personally think we won't see again from the anime.

Sinnoh League Victors: Gets a point taken off for the cheap cop-out way the Sinnoh league ends but that league is still one of the show's finest hour - especially the last couple of minutes of Ash vs Paul.

Horizons: A pretty superb series for me so far that's been doing things very differently from all prior series and has pulled off most of them pretty well. Really excited to see how things go this year.

Galactic Battles: One ups both the first and second DP series and the change to widescreen really made things that much greater too.

Battle Dimension: One ups the first DP series and introduces us to Team Galactic who got a much much better arc than Aqua/Magma did. Also where a lot of the prior VA's from the 4Kids era started coming back which was great to see.

XY: A bit of a slow start but a big improvement over Unova's disastrous finale. Again, another nostalgic era for me.

Diamond and Pearl: The start of a great era indeed. Dawn was a great companion, Paul a superb rival for Ash and a great team he was building up too. This is my nostalgic era like Kanto was to so many back in the 90's.

Sun & Moon: Controversial changes at first but I quickly grew into it and thus love the region of Alola.

Sun & Moon - Ultra Adventures: More Alola goodness although I could have done without the Ultra Guardians nonsense.

XY - Kalos Quest: Still good stuff but not quite as good as the first series. Gym battles were cracking though, Olympia's being my favourite of the bunch.

Master Quest: Finally the Johto region gets the swift kick up the back side it needs. Plenty more stuff going on in this and it neatly wraps up Ash and Gary's long rivalry (if only their battle was better animated).

Orange Islands: A filler season to spare time whilst Gold/Silver gear up for release but a very cool and interesting one just for the fact they're having to create new characters and locations just for this one season. Also the one where Ash gets his first big victory although his Frontier, Alola and Masters Eight wins are more well-known.

Ultimate Journeys: There's still some crap here and there but this is probably the best of the Journeys series. The Alola stuff was superb, seeing Paul again was neat and that final part of Ash vs Leon was just chef's kiss.

Advanced: Gonna be real, I don't really remember much from the Advanced era outside of Battle Frontier but this is an alright start to the series with some nice new characters.

Advanced Challenge: More of the same as Advanced.

Battle Frontier: Gasp, sudden voice cast change for the dub. You can tell most of them got a lot better over the years as it's not particularly good voice acting wise. Some eps were a bit dull but the Battle Frontier stuff that last season started was a nice change of pace for Ash (which also lead to his second big victory).

Advanced Battle: Really all three share the same spot. This is where things pick up even further with the league and Harley's debut and all but it gets points taken off for a pretty dull league and the awful mucking up of both Team Aqua and Magma.

Indigo League: It's alright and it definitely laid the groundwork for things to come. It's just that... I don't particularly care much for the Kanto stuff aside from a few things here and there as this iconic era was way past my time (before I was even born).

The Johto Journeys: It's a whole new world but this is probably where the seasonal rot starts to kick in for the old trio.

Rival Destinies: Some pretty terrible garbage here (coughcoughElesa'sgymbattle) but some genuinely good stuff too. Probably the most bearable of the Unova seasons.

Journeys: And after how great Sun & Moon was we're back into seasonal rot territory. Not a good thing with this being Ash and Pikachu's last series and all (though we didn't think so at first). Was great to see some old faces again but the regional-hopping idea just wasn't utilised very well and I couldn't care less for Goh or Chloe much.

Black and White: oh no. Ash's infamous reset into dumbass levels is the least of this season's problems. Team Rocket's little plot would have been interesting but of course the unfortunate earthquake/tsunami happened and a two-parter was scrapped meaning they never lived up to their new serious motives (and still screwed up like their regular bumbling selves anyway).

Master Journeys: Just crap really. Again, some great returning faces and a fantastic battle with Volkner but it really felt like they didn't care much and were just phoning it in at this point. Very disappointing.

Johto League Champions: Pretty boring ass stuff honestly. A lot of the episodes just feel exactly the same as one another and good god, the long wait between Ash's next Gym battle too! No wonder people were starting to move on to other things.

Adventures in Unova and Beyond: Garbage league, garbage Team Plasma arc, mostly garbage filler nonsense that felt like it went on for 100 decades. Yep, this is Unova and the show itself at it's absolute worst. Bless both N and Alexa though.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom