• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What was your favourite League and why?

I liked the Indigo League.. except when Richie turned up. He just annoyed me alot tbh.

I agree. I didn't like how he was just a copy of Ash. I also didn't like the episode where TR kidnapped Ash just before his battle with Ritchie. But the Jenette and The Astounding Mandy I really enjoyed. Plus I loved Gary being put in his place by actually being beat by that trainer, Mellisa's her name, I think. So it's still my favorite league

I have to say Sinnoh. They made just about every battle important, and not just a random COTD battle. I know that some of the random battles from before were a sight to see. (Bellsprout girl from Kanto and Katie from Hoenn seem to stand out) I can see why a lot of people would like Hoenn, as double battles are where we often see the more interesting tactics used, where pokemon work together and combinations are often seen. It's also the most impressive feat Ash has had without using his reserves. Sinnoh, however, not only shows the power of his Sinnoh team, but of most of his reserves as well. It shows us for perhaps the first time that Ash has what it takes to go all the way. For now, Sinnoh has to be the best, but Hoenn may be a close second. (Sorry, Johto fans. I love the ideas and at least three of the battles there, but the writers just get better with the leagues as time passes)

The Lilly of the Valley conference. I absolutely loved it. Every match was interesting. Ash vs. Conway, Paul, and Tobias. Tobias was quite the opponent for Ash.

The league I enjoyed the most was the Lily of the Valley Conference. I think all the battles in it ranged from okay (Nando) to fantastic (Conway, Paul) with the exception of Ash's battle against Tobias. My main criticism with it, though, is that it should have included double battles like the Ever Grande Conference did. That way, more of Ash's older Pokémon would have been showcased, and Torterra could have even gotten a win (which is another complaint of mine).

The Ever Grande Conference would be my next pick because of the double battles and Ash's battle against Katy. Morrison isn't one of my favorite characters, but what the writers did during his battle with Ash was out of the ordinary, and I'm glad the writers experimented with something new (a trainer not wanting to battle their own friend). However, the repetitiveness of only having Ash's Hoenn team battle got to me. In addition, Ash's battle with Tyson was a little underwhelming but good overall.

The Silver Conference was okay, but had some major flaws; what I really liked was the character development Gary received (as sudden as it was). My biggest concern with it was that in most of the battles, the Johto starters were overshadowed by their predecessors (Squirtle taking a win from Totodile, Bulbasaur taking a win from Cyndaquil, Charizard taking a win from Bayleef). The battles were pretty good otherwise. I liked the introduction of the final evolutionary form of a Hoenn starter being Ash's downfall in this league as it was something unique and never done before.

The Indigo Plateau Conference is my least favorite, mainly for short and/or unimpressive battles. Ash's battle against Mandi was alright in terms of looks; Krabby/Kingler's DEM was a little jarring, though. His next two battles were too short for me to get into them. The battle with Janette was quite lovely and to this date is the only battle in which Muk receives a win. The Ritchie battle was pretty bad, but I'll give the writers credit for allowing Ash to lose in a somewhat non-conventional way (even if it was unfair).

Hopefully the leagues continue improving as the writers do.

People might expect me to say Indigo but I found it a bit boring. My favorite League was Hoenn. I think May's GF warmed me up nicely for it.

The battle between Katie and Ash was really amazing, and is probably the most intelligent opponent ash has faced when it comes to strategy.

I always like the Johto League. I know there was too many fillers, but the writers really give the Pokemon play time, instead of all training and no fun. Ash, Misty and Brock bring all the Pokemon out, to swim, or play with a beach ball or just have an afternoon nap, which they do not do much anymore.

Ever Grande had some great battles that weren't just the last few battles. The Suzuran league could have been amazing since he was bringing back all of his pokemon, but they had to rush it and give pretty much no pokemon any time to actually shine. Like half of them got freeze frames and that was it. It was a huge cockslap for them to bring back all of his pokemon and get us pumped, and have Cyndaquil evolve, and then they busted their load and dropped the ball. I wasn't even bothered by Takuto. I enjoyed that battle, and while it was pretty cheap, it really didn't bother me one bit. I came to the conclusion he wasn't going to win long before that and figured the way they did it was actually interesting. The minute Latios flew out of that pokeball I, and I'm sure pretty much everyone else watching, was totally taken by surprise.

Ever Grande had some great battles that weren't just the last few battles. The Suzuran league could have been amazing since he was bringing back all of his pokemon, but they had to rush it and give pretty much no pokemon any time to actually shine. Like half of them got freeze frames and that was it. It was a huge cockslap for them to bring back all of his pokemon and get us pumped, and have Cyndaquil evolve, and then they busted their load and dropped the ball. I wasn't even bothered by Takuto. I enjoyed that battle, and while it was pretty cheap, it really didn't bother me one bit. I came to the conclusion he wasn't going to win long before that and figured the way they did it was actually interesting. The minute Latios flew out of that pokeball I, and I'm sure pretty much everyone else watching, was totally taken by surprise.
My thoughts almost exactly. :)

I think Quilava's 10 second battle was the biggest fuck up of an evo I'd ever seen.

prolly Johto because Ash pretty much made Gary quit batting and after all that talking down he did he FAILED again to back that up

The Suzuran Conference, I believe, would have turned out so much better if the writers didn't need to limit it to within 10 episodes. A lot of the battles were great, but a problem was that a lot of the battles weren't Ash's battles. Not to say that was a bad thing, as the Barry/Paul battle was pretty good, but my problem with it was that they brought back all of Ash's old pokemon, which got those of us nostalgic about the past excited, but because they had to also focus on other characters' battles, they had to do less focus on Ash's old pokemon coming back. I honestly feel like if Ash had just used his sinnoh pokemon like he did in Hoenn, it would have been fine, because all of his pokemon would have gotten sufficient battles in, and they would have been able to pull off a strong final trainer without having to resort to legendaries, I feel. The returning pokemon were relegated to pretty much one battle a piece, and because they had other battles to focus on those battles with Ash's old pokemon were forced into about 30 seconds at most, or just freeze frames. If they didn't need to finish the anime off by the release of BW, I'm sure that league could have been the greatest yet, but it just ended up being smushed.

Hoenn didn't have that problem, as they were able to show Ash's battles because a. they didn't really have other characters in the league we really cared to see whether they were battling Ash or not, and they had the BF as a buffer afterwards, so they could stretch it out, really, as long as they wanted.

The Indigo league was very bad, IMO. The battle against that girl (Mandi?) was ridiculous; Ash's Krabby evolved then swept her entire team all by himself.
Then there's the battle against Ritchie, and he is disqualified because Charizard decides to take a nap.

The Silver Conference was much better than Kanto. The battle between Gary and Ash was awesome, and the battle against Harrison too.

Hoenn league was nice, because Ash used his Hoenn team. Morrison was a funny character, but the battle against Tyson was bad.

The Sinnoh league was the best, IMO. The battles with Conway and Barry were pretty cool, altough Barry's loss was a bit off. I think he should've taken out at least one of Paul's Pokémon. Conway's battle was pretty funny. The battle between Ash and Paul was one of the best moment of the anime. I was literally on the edge of my seat during the 3 episodes the battle lasted, especialy at the end, when Infernape faced Electivire 1 vs 1.
The battle against Tobias was bs, but I won't talk about it.

I honestly feel like if Ash had just used his sinnoh pokemon like he did in Hoenn, it would have been fine, because all of his pokemon would have gotten sufficient battles in, and they would have been able to pull off a strong final trainer without having to resort to legendaries, I feel.

The problem I see with that is that it had already been done by that point. The writers may have brought Ash's old Pokémon back to the Silver Conference, as well, but they hadn't been gone as long, so it felt like something new the writers were trying to accomplish. However, I, too, wish all his (Sinnoh) Pokémon could have gotten sufficient battles (or more specifically, wins).

The returning pokemon were relegated to pretty much one battle a piece, and because they had other battles to focus on those battles with Ash's old pokemon were forced into about 30 seconds at most, or just freeze frames. If they didn't need to finish the anime off by the release of BW, I'm sure that league could have been the greatest yet, but it just ended up being smushed.

I agree with this.

The Indigo league was very bad, IMO. The battle against that girl (Mandi?) was ridiculous; Ash's Krabby evolved then swept her entire team all by himself.

Mandi was a guy if I recall correctly.

Definatley the Ever Grande Conference! I loved battles such as Ash vs. Katie and Ash vs. Tyson!

The other leagues had a couple things that kept me from saying they were my favorite leagues.

Kanto had rather uninteresting battles.

In Johto, Ash's Kanto Pokemon end up overshadowing his Johto Pokemon.

And in Sinnoh, Ash vs. Nando was incredibly rushed and Quilava got shafted so they could show the stupid shit the TRio was doing that most people could care less about, the lack of a Top 32, and Ash being crubstomped by a guy with 2 fricken legendaries in the Top 4.

To think we waited 4 years for it and we thought Ash was going to use his older pokemon...
...What?:confused: Did you really expect him to use all of them or something?

This is a tough call and I may need to watch them all again to make a clear decision. It's not the Indigo League though, that's for sure.

Ever Grande Conference because Ash used only his Hoenn Pokemon giving each Pokemon multiple battles unlike the tragedy that was the Lily of the Valley League.

I may be in minority but i actually enjoyed in Johto Silver conference the most.
League was great having subtle organization,well defined format of competition and many excellent battles.It showed Ash making progress as trainer compared to his Kanto performance coming top 8 building up toward resolution of Ash and Gary long time rivalry.

To this day i feel their confrontation was one of best battles in this show with two trainers giving everything they had,showing Ash creative side and good way to utilize strategy and overcome situations where he was put in disadvantage.Like when he used brilliant strategy with Charizard vs Gary Blastoise.
Whole league also had several funny situations and comedy scenes building up nice suspence for Ash future battles.

I didnt mind Ash Kanto pokemon being used along with Johto one either because it added for variety and having Charizard participte is always a plus in my book.

The Silver Conference...
My favorite region is Johto, so I really enjoyed it.
The battle between Ash and Gary was the best, obviously! ;)
Charizard v. Blastoise = Epic.

Back
Top Bottom