• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What was your favourite League and why?

The Sinnoh League had the potential to be the best league ever, except The Powers That Be completely blew it at the end. It wasn't that Ash lost again, but that they had seemed to lay the groundwork for him to win this time. In earlier Sinnoh eps, they had mentioned that the Sinnoh League winner could battle the Elite Four and Cynthia for the crown, which really got my hopes up for Ash to take part in what would have been the biggest battle of his life. Even if he had lost to Cynthia, it could have been epic. Instead, they bring in Tobias and his Ubermon to kick Ash out in one of the most lopsided defeats ever. It still pisses me off to think about it.

For let's see if Ash's is really all that good excitement....Kanto
For seeing if the Ash vs Gary rivalry would finally be settled excitement...Johto
For seeing how good the battles would REALLY be after the writers changed the show for the better excitement...Hoenn
For seeing Paul get his just desserts, having SOME of Ash's Pokemon return, and epic, collision battles excitement....Sinnoh

Every League had its good points and bad points, but I'd say that so far, each League has been progressing. I am the most curious to know what Best Wishes will bring though, because I often find myself saying it's a lost cause, but somehow in 2012, it seems different. Who knows really, I just hope the battles are good at the very least and character interactions.

I have to say Lily of the Valley.

Despite Ash having a ridiculous bracket (all but Barry), his wins were all inventive, and Ash's development came to a head, we could see his chances rising. Like Heracross and Sleep Talk, or Gible finally beasting up with Draco Meteor vs. Conway. Oh, and nothing, not one single moment in all of Pokemon history, beats the finale to Ash and Paul's quarterfinal battle. It was the epitome of Ash as a character. He beat the one guy that was challenging everything Ash understood about Pokemon, and did it with the Pokemon Paul abandoned.

What kinda dampened the spirit was how uber-hax Tobias was. Ridiculous. Sceptile beating Darkrai was a nice way to give that veteran Pokemon some cred. But seriously, while using Heracross was beyond smart, Ash needed to come at Tobias with Charizard, Snorlax, Pikachu, Sceptile, Swellow, and Infernape (despite its epic battle previously, it is one of Ash's strongest Pokemon, which is why I said who I did. So, Ash ended up 3 for 6 in my book. Swellow was wise against Latios, but it just couldn't stack up. And Charizard/Sceptile/Snorlax could have nicely handled Darkrai. Pikachu and Infernape would have just added support where needed. But analysis aside, the Lily of the Valley conference trumped.

Sinnoh, it had the best battles hands down.

Its not just the Johto starters. Why in the world were Glalie and Muk brought back? To get one still-screen? Seriously, WTF?
Technically, Glalie had two still screen moments. One was the Old Family Blend one, and the other was training with Infernape and Torterra.

Last edited:
I liked the Hoenn league, mostly because I was fond of Morrison, he's so boss.

But other than that, I'd say Sinnoh League, had some epic battles.

Tie between EverGrande Conference(the ONLY good part of Hoenn's story, minus Brock's Ludicolo(Especially as a Ludicolo!) and Ash's Glalie), Battle Frontier(2nd best bringbacks, most convincing as a challenge), Orange(Actually felt like a battle with a Champion:I know Drake's a Head Leader, but my point still stands!), and Lily-of-the-Valley(Best Bringbacks and an evolution, Ash Vs. Paul was a better finale than Ash vs. Gary, since Gary lost his will to fight after his battle with Mewtwo/the writers' cheap way out of a good, indulgently spiteful rivalry).

Kanto was horrible, granted it was the first attempt so i'll leave it at that, Charizard taking his usual naps. *Sighs*

Johto was a BIG improvement, with the Ash vs Gary rivalry I really enjoyed the battle!

Hoenn was the royalty, a number of amazing well thought out battles. Has to be my favourite till now, they certainly didn't rush it and therefore produced a master piece!

Haven't watched Sinnoh yet because I've started watching the anime from scratch, but I know exactly what happens with all that Trolling Tobias. I mean not only does he have a Darkrai, but a Latios too? I mean really? That took some time to getting used too, but from what i've heard Ash vs Paul was great and the Sinnoh conference in general was amazing.

I hope they build on this with the Unova league *Insert Conference Name* expecting some great battles and a great league conference overall!

Last edited:
Tie between EverGrande Conference(the ONLY good part of Hoenn's story, minus Brock's Ludicolo(Especially as a Ludicolo!) and Ash's Glalie), Battle Frontier(2nd best bringbacks, most convincing as a challenge), Orange(Actually felt like a battle with a Champion:I know Drake's a Head Leader, but my point still stands!), and Lily-of-the-Valley(Best Bringbacks and an evolution, Ash Vs. Paul was a better finale than Ash vs. Gary, since Gary lost his will to fight after his battle with Mewtwo/the writers' cheap way out of a good, indulgently spiteful rivalry).

Harsh, Very harsh. Only good part of Hoenn? *Sighs* We're all entitled to our own opinions so I respect yours but how can the Ever Grande Conference be the only good part of the Hoenn Saga! Very biased and untrue, Hoenn was amazing! SNM.

Back
Top Bottom