• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What was your first game?

Caprizant

Damn These Vampires
Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. They/Them
Whether that be the first game you have a vague memory of playing, the first game you specifically owned, or you can't remember but there are a few possibilities.

For me, the first game I remember playing was Mario Party 2. Our neighbors had it growing up, and they'd come over to our side of the house to play it with us. When we got an N64 of our own after they moved away, Mario Party 2 was one of the first games we got. I think there were other games before it, but I can't remember any of them anymore. They were probably edutainment computer games.

I have a hazy memory of being lent my cousin's GameBoy with a copy of Pokémon Blue inside when I was forced to stay at their house one afternoon. I think I got as far as Erika before having to go home. I wouldn't actually touch a Pokémon game again until much later with Gen 2.

But in terms of my actual first own video game. That would have to be Spyro on the Playstation. We only had one TV in our house back then so it was always a fight when I wanted to play video games as someone was invariably watching the TV at the same time.

The first game I can ever remember being exposed to was Super Mario 64. I was maybe 5 or 6 and didn't have any gaming systems of my own, but I had a friend who did and she showed me Super Mario 64 one day. I was utterly obsessed. I have a hard time putting it into words; nothing can describe the absolute spell this game had on my younger self, and whenever I was at her house from that day on I would BEG her to play just so I could watch it again and again. I didn't even need to play it myself, I was more than content to just sit there and watch her play while her cat curled up in my lap. I did eventually get my own N64 and Super Mario 64 a few years later, but this will always be my one of my fondest gaming memories. Ah, the late 90s. Why did you have to leave me.

The first game I ever actually owned myself was Super Mario Brothers Deluxe, which I received along with a Game Boy Color for Christmas 1999 (I wouldn't get my N64 until my 8th birthday, three months later). I also received Pokemon Pinball later that day when my grandparents showed up, but technically Super Mario Brothers Deluxe came first.

I played Pokémon games on friends' GameBoys in elementary school, and I had another friend with a Nintendo 64 with Super Mario 64. And some open world Lego game on pc. That's all I remember on that front.

The first games I owned were on PC. I have a lot of good memories of playing Roller Coaster Tycoon, Age of Empires and Midtown Madness. And I also played a Harry Potter game and Rayman at some point.

The first game console I owned was a GameCube and my first two games on that were Mario Kart: Double Dash and Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time

Whether that be the first game you have a vague memory of playing, the first game you specifically owned, or you can't remember but there are a few possibilities.

For me, the first game I remember playing was Mario Party 2. Our neighbors had it growing up, and they'd come over to our side of the house to play it with us. When we got an N64 of our own after they moved away, Mario Party 2 was one of the first games we got. I think there were other games before it, but I can't remember any of them anymore. They were probably edutainment computer games.
haha, i remember playing castle crashers on a xbox when i was about 5-4 years old; me and my sister would always play together but we only had the tutorial so we would play it over and over again, never minding :D

I remember playing NES games in my early childhood. Not so much the actual Nintendo games, but I remember playing like... Bug's Bunny's Birthday Blowout. LOL Megaman 2 as well, and there was a Tiny Toons game, Wheel of Fortune game, Carmen Sandiego game, etc. I do know we owned (still own) Super Mario Bros. with Duck Hunt and Super Mario Bros 3, as well. I remember playing SMB3 later on, but it's possible that I played Duck Hunt early on.

It's hard to pinpoint which was actually my first, as obviously memories are very sparse back then. However, I do remember playing all of those. Oddly enough the Bugs Bunny game is the one I remember playing the most. LOL.

The very first game I played was Final Fantasy IV, though that was with my father since he was the one to introduce me to video games. I also have memories of the both of us, and my brother, playing FFVI and Bloody Roar together as well.

As for my first game I played by myself, then that would be Pokemon Red. It was a gift from my father and I was pretty excited trying it out since, at the time, I only had a vague idea of what Pokemon even was through the early anime.

Other "first" games I've played were the original Spyro trilogy, original Crash Bandicoot trilogy, Fire Emblem Blazing Blade and The Sacred Stones, SMT III: Nocturne, and Golden Sun. I also have some hazy memories of playing Advance Wars (GBA) and one of the Digimon World games on the PS1, which I think was 3.

The earliest I remember playing was--of all things--Who Framed Roger Rabbit on the NES.
We also had the original Super Mario Bros. and I may have played it earlier but forgot. Other very early NES games were a few of the Bugs Bunny ones (I think we rented both Birthday Blowout and Crazy Castle) and Mega Man 2.

Mario Kart DS on my DSi XL. I got it for Christmas in 2010 and beaten it many times. I also remember playing New Super Mario Bros.

Don't remember which game exactly was technically the first I started playing, but I know the first games I played were 90s DOS games, mostly platformers that some might not have heard about, such as Commander Keen, Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure, Crystal Caves and others. I believe it might have been an Edutainment/Adventure title called Mixed-Up Mother Goose that I played first.

The first game I remember playing is, in hindsight, Super Mario Sunshine. I remember playing it at my cousin's house when I was very little, but I only ever made the connection recently since all I really remember was water with ink in it and trying real hard not to fall off a pier the whole time. I know for sure it was a GameCube controller I was holding too.

The first game I ever owned was Super Mario Advance for the GBA (which is really just a port of Super Mario Bros. 2). I still have not completed that game to this day (tried a couple of months ago, but got bored quick).

In terms of the first game I've ever played it would be Spyro the Dragon on a hotel console when I was pretty young (maybe 7 or 8, I'm not 100% sure). Needless to say I've been hooked on games ever since.

In terms of the first game I've ever owned it was Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage for the PS1 probably not long after that. Still have that game and it still runs, as I keep all my games in good shape (outside of GB games, as those died ages ago).

Spyro the Dragon. My parents had decided to get a PS2 for the family and had picked it up for me and my brother. Played it until the disk broke years later, never beat it as a kid because I sucked at collecting everything and we couldn't save the game so we were always having to start over.

Easiest question in the world: Pokemon Yellow. My first game console was the lime green Pokemon Yellow. I remember seeing commercials for them on TV, and seeing this one kid at my sister's dance class way back when showing me his game. I think I told my parents I really wanted them at one point, and then received both on my seventh birthday. Of course, back then, I had no concept of complicated things like strategy and game progression, so I never got very far in the games until years later. I did have to sell the cartridge due to the internal battery being close to dying and bought Yellow on the 3DS virtual console.

I’m pretty sure it was New Super Mario Bros on the DS, but it might have been Melee, I forget whether I got my DS or GameCube first

My first game played was one of either Tetris 2 (it's not actually tetris for some reason), SMW, or Star Fox. These were my father or grandfather's, honestly not sure which.

My first owned game was Winnie the Pooh's Rumbly Tumbly Adventure for the GBA. That game actually used to scare me so bad, and I avoided it for years. There were sections where you had to run across maps while avoiding heffalumps, and the music that played during these sections made me feel super uncomfortable. I eventually learned of a way to cheese through these sections (that, afaik, wasn't mentioned anywhere in the instructions), and I did eventually beat it. I played about halfway through the game a year ago and thought it was still fun despite me not being six anymore :wynaut:

The first game I can clearly remember playing was either Pokemon Emerald, Pokemon Colosseum, or Nintendogs: Dachshund & Friends :wynaut:
There were other games that I played a lot around the same time, but if my memory serves me right I don't think they came first (those were Mario Kart DS, New Super Mario Bros., Hamtaro: Ham-Hams Unite!, and Hamtaro: Ham-Ham Heartbreak to be specific). There's probably some other GameCube game that I'm totally forgetting right now too.

The first game that I owned myself though was Pokemon Diamond, I distinctly remember counting down every single day until it released. I think LeafGreen was a pretty close second but I lost the cartridge forever almost instantly LOL

Back
Top Bottom