• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What was your first shiny?

Which game did you catch your first shiny in?

• Total voters
Not counting the red gyrados, haxorus, or Gible since they were guaranteed so long as you met the requirements.

My shiny Sylveon, Navi. I had bred it as an eevee though obviously but the intention was to evolve it into sylveon. I now play with it in every elite 4 so it can get every champion ribbon.
First rando was pancham in the friend safari. But The odds are so high there that it hardly felt truely random (wasn't hunting for it but still)

My favorites are the completly unexpected random shinies. After playing platinum for the 100th time I got a shiny gabite in victory road, and then also in victory road on VC crystal I found a shiny onix.

My first shiny was a shiny Weedle I caught in Silver version. I remember I had no idea why it sparkled and had a different color. After seeing the red Gyarados i was like... what is happening? It wasn't until Gen 3 I think that I really understood what a shiny pokémon was.

Last edited:
My first main series shiny was a Shellder in Seafoam Cavern in LGE. My first ever shiny was a Exeggcute in GO

Last edited:
My first was a shiny Magikarp in Ilex Forest back in Pokemon Silver. This was way before I even knew about the Gyarados in Lake of Rage so I wound up with two shiny Gyarados. :V

In Sapphire I caught a shiny Manectric on Route 118, the reason I bring that up is because it's the first shiny I caught that I still have after all this time and transfered all the way to Shield. Her name is Dianmu.

Excluding set Shinies, my first one was a Shiny Banette in Pokémon X. Found it at a trash can in Pokémon Village while eating breakfast. I was still waking up while doing it, so it took me a few seconds to realize I wasn't dreaming. I tried out its Mega Evolution too almost immediately.

Okay so one morning back in high school I was waiting for the school bus at the home of the guy I was dating at the time. Bro and I always got dropped off there to ride the bus after mom and stepdad at the time moved us out of the school district so we couldn't ride a bus from our own house.

I was playing Leaf Green and I wanted a pikachu. But for whatever reason the little imps refused to come out of hiding. Then I saw yellow. Then I saw the shiny effect. Then I realized I was looking at a Caterpie. I squealed in surprise and alarmed both my brother and the guy I was dating. We all were in awe because none of us had actually seen a shiny in-game before. I named it Shiny because I am super creative and not dumb at all I swear.

I deleted that save file at some point to start over. I'm.. I'm not overly attached to my pokemon saves since I've never been able to trade up my pokemon to newer versions. Fun fact: My second ever shiny was a rattata while grinding before the rival battle on route 22 during a nuzlocke in Fire Red. Beyond those the only other full odds shiny I have ever found accidentally was a Jigglypuff in Alpha Sapphire. Was also my first Jigglypuff of the game. I remember I was talking to my girlfriend and all of a sudden I realized the jigglypuff I was looking at didn't have normal colored eyes.

Mine was a Poochyena I got from a trade at school. Apparently, I managed to save it because, since the other guy's game was a bootleg cartridge, it erased his file after he turned it off after the trade.

My first shiny was a Hoothoot caught along the first route in the Johto region. I was training up my Togepi because I was thinking about using Togetic. After running into a million Hoothoots, I was quite shocked to see a yellow one pop up on my screen. I remember I had to be quiet even though I was so excited because I was in the car with my dad, and he was in a foul mood, so I just had to contain all the excitement.

I encountered no fewer than four non-Gyarados shinies in GS, those being Lickitung, Poliwhirl, Pidgey and Graveler (I failed to catch any of them; Graveler Exploded on me and I bumped into the Pidgey before the game allows you to have any Pokéballs).

My first catch was a Venonat in FireRed's Safari Zone, and since then I've picked up Cascoon (RS), Machoke (DP), Goomy (XY) and Duraludon (CT) by pure chance. There's scores I could bring over from Go.

I saw the Graveler again in Platinum. It Exploded again.

Graveler (I failed to catch any of them; Graveler Exploded on me and I bumped into the Pidgey before the game allows you to have any Pokéballs).

I saw the Graveler again in Platinum. It Exploded again.

I can't count how many shiny Geodudes and Gravelers have done the exact same thing to me, be it Self-Destruct or Explosion. I've lost a lot of shinies that way. While I'm almost always guaranteed to run into at least one shiny Geodude/Graveler, no matter the playthrough, I always dread it because they tend to go kablooie before I get a chance to catch them. And I know the feeling with Pidgey, as it happened to me, too, only with a Starly and Sentret instead.

Shiny Sunkern that I found randomly at the National Park in Gold. I don't have it anymore since my file got erased but I remember thinking it was weird seeing a Pokemon of a different color before finding the shiny Gyarados.

I'm not 100% sure. It was probably a Shiny Starly in Diamond... but sadly I lost that file :cry: I also got a Shiny Skuntank on the same file.

The oldest Shiny that I still have was Shiny Oddish which I caught in the Safari Zone in Ruby. It is now a Vileplume. I'm not sure if I caught Oddish before or after Starly, since I played Diamond and Ruby around the same time (played Ruby on a secondhand cartridge).

Here's Vileplume (I should probably move it to HOME one of these days). Hard to tell from the pic but it's in a Safari Ball.
20210615_124450.jpg

The first shiny that I caught myself was a Drifblim in White's post-game - coincidentally, just as I was thinking about adding one to my team. It was maybe the second or third? Pokémon I'd run into since turning on the game that morning, and my DS's battery was blinking red, so my heart jumped into my throat. I was SO happy to catch her, though; Drifblim was one of my favorite Pokémon at the time, and she also happened to have a good nature.

Back
Top Bottom