• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What Was Your Single Hardest Battle in the Pokemon Games?

Brock in Yellow. Grr, stupid Pikachu. I went and caught a Pidgy, whom I trained up to level 35, and finally defeated Brock. And Gary at the league was hard. After I lost, a horrible accident happened...

Brock in Yellow was hard because all you had was Pikachu. However, he was not much better when I had Charmander in Red. XD

Probably the most trouble I have had with any in-game battle was with Whitney and her f***ing Miltank. That damn thing was always faster than what I had and hit hard with stomp, always making me flinch! What made it much more frustrating was as you chip away its HP, the game would pull a douchie move by using Milk Drink. I am getting some terrible flashbacks!

Last edited:
Brawly on Emerald the 1st time. I don't know why but it took about 5 tries for me to get it. It might've had something to do with the fact that it was the 1st time I'd ever played a Pokemon game, but I'm not so sure.

Ooh I have tons.
Lorelei at first try of E4.
Whitney and her Milktank.
Wattson in Mauville. Daddy Dearest Norman in Petalburg. Tate and Liza in Mossdeep. I wanted to rip my hair out trying to beat them.
Fantina in Hearthome. Why?!?! I'm still not past her in Platinum!
Lenora. I wanted to scream "IN YOUR FACE" when my Dewott finally crit hits her Watchog at the umpteenth time.
Bertha and her Gliscor. Anything I do, she counters with an even better attack.
Cynthia. Made me realize how much I love Garchomp and how much I hate it when I'm against it.

I think my hardest battle was against Cynthia in Pearl version. When I finally won the battle it ended with me and Cynthia only having one Pokémon left each and my remaining Pokémon was a Luxray and Cynthia's remaining Pokémon was Milotic.

Whitney in Crystal. I went with a team of pidgeotto, Quilava and Beedrill. Her rollout smashed my team to pieces and I was only 10 then not realizing that I should induct machop into the team. I must have lost to her like 25 times.

Another hard one was Brawly. This time, I went with a team of Marshtomp, Aron, Ralts and Slakoth. Even though, I had ralts(who did pathetic damage), I lost almost 15 times.

Whitney in Crystal. I went with a team of pidgeotto, Quilava and Beedrill. Her rollout smashed my team to pieces and I was only 10 then not realizing that I should induct machop into the team. I must have lost to her like 25 times.

Another hard one was Brawly. This time, I went with a team of Marshtomp, Aron, Ralts and Slakoth. Even though, I had ralts(who did pathetic damage), I lost almost 15 times.
Oh, god, Whitney. We had almost the same team, but with Togepi instead of Beedrill. When that final Rollout missedand Quick attack crit'd it, I literally jumped. But Cynthia was still the hardest. Plus, I coundnt find a machop. :saiyan::saiyan::saiyan::saiyan::saiyan::saiyan:

Ooh, I can all day on this one.

Red-Misty(thank God her Starmie didn't know Psychic) and Sabrina thanks psychics being beyond broken.

Yellow-Brock thanks having to start with pikachu first and not knowing that fighting was strong against rock(I had to buy the player's guide to finally beat him). Misty and Sabrina again.

Gold and Crystal-Whitney and that damn Miltank(just hers. I love Miltank and have one on my team in Crystal). Clair was hard too since I no idea ice was strong against dragon until the guy in the gym told and I didn't have the patience to train the pokemon from Ice Path.(I was 11 and naively thought I could get by without training). Lance with his hacked pokemon(a level 50 Dragonite and an Aerodactyl with Rock Slide). Red because of his insanely high levels for an in-game team.

Sapphire-Norman and that damn Slaking(and he had 2 of them). I even had Blaiziken. Drake because I didn't have any ice techniques on my team(I know, but I couldn't squeeze on in)

Emerald- Brawly because I was using a team that had weaker defenses. Flannery and her hacked Toarkal(body slam should not paralyze that often and Overheat+Sunny Day is too damn powerful at that point in the game). Then the Twins took me by surprise with that damn Claydol spamming Reflect, Light Screen, and Earthquake. Not to mention it was a double battle; I hate that concept was ever invented.

Platinum- Fantina and her Mismagius that was too powerful for just the 3rd badge(and I didn't have dark type either and my Luxio was too slow to use it's Bite effectively). Maylene's and her Lucario even with my Ponyta; it KO'd the rest of my team except for Prinplup who got lucky with it's high defense and Torrent ability. Lucian because he just had a good team. Period. Cynthia and that damn Mirror Coating Milotic and that practically legendary Garchomp(it always KO'd by Empoleon before he could use Blizzard); she a lot tries for me to finally beat. That's a first for any champion.

SoulSilver- Bugsy threw me completely off guard with that U-Turn(way too powerful for the second gym) Scyther; it took me a week to get past him. Whitney and that damn Miltank again; a hacked one this time that made it hard even with my female Onix(that wasn't intentional. I'm not picky about the gender of my Pokemon unless it's something obvious like Gardevoir). Clair again thanks to Kingdra ruining my ice strategy. Lance again thanks his pokemon heavily benefiting from the new battle system and still having a level 50 Dragonite. Red again thanks his levels being even higher(a level 88 Pikachu) to the annoying constant hail and his pokemon spamming Blizzard.

Black and White- Money has been really tight this year forcing me to play on an emulator which is too powerful for my computer, making it run really slow(and yet I can play my N64 games perfectly. I hope the developers fix that). I'm struggling to get through these games; I'm on my 3rd badge in Black and haven't even gotten my first one in White yet. I don't know when I'll be done with these games(or when I can finally get the cartridge). For now will say that Lenora was hard because of Retaliate(am I the only one who's noticed that the Normal-type gyms are usually one of the hardest?).

Black and White 2- I have no idea when I will get either of these games.

It is a tie between Whitney and GHETSIS. But the single most hard trainer is Fantina in Platinum. I swear I counted every time, and it took a grand total of: 2,432 tries. I am not joking. :banghead: I swear, the rematch is a piece of cake. But in the first battle, all bow to her :unworthy:

Last edited:
Tate and Liza in Emerald really pissed me off in Emerald and I can't wait to smash them in the PWT.

Cynthia in post-story B/W surely? She's got that freakin' Garchomp that packs a punch (SO FAST) and 2 Pokemon with no type weaknesses. She's a monster to come up against by accident. Actually Cynthia just generally seems to be difficult... Looking forward to the world tournament!

I would honestly have to say my single hardest battle would be against Ghetsis in my first playthrough of White. That Hydreigon....UGH. I lost to him twice, and when I came back later with a Scrafty, I only won because Focus Blast missed...once. Had it hit Scrafty twice, or gotten a critical, I can practically assure you the same thing would have happened again.

In my most recent memory - Shauntal. I didn't have any pokemon that had advantage over hers, and even my Chandelure, she just killed it :(

In SS, Lance, because my pokemon were mid to low 40s. I had to use Lugia, and I hate using legendaries during main story. My rematch was easy, since I had my lvl 77 Swampert from Emerald that knew icebeam.

Ghetsis is usually hard (well, Hydreigon is), but I beat him very easily today. Haxorus with Dragon Dance, dragon fang, and Rivalry: Boufalant OHKO, Hydreigon OHKO, Seismitoad OHKO.

Red. My main team was low 50s, so I took down his team with my 79 Swampert. I used 3 of my weaker pokemon to take down his Venasaur.

Whitney, OH Whitney, took me weeks to beat that stupid Milktank. Thankfully Para-Fusion saved me.

When I was playing on PBR, I faced someone who used a Steel-type Arceus, based on defense. It kept using Iron Defense, while my Ninjask kept using Swords Dance. I baton-passed it to Garchomp, who used Earthquake, but it didn't do much, so I started over again lol.

However, that's probably my most annoying. My hardest battles would probably be the only draw I've ever had online.

Pokemon Sapphire, before I had any idea about type match ups. Sydney fucked me up something fierce until I realised my precious lv 88 Swampert was double weak to his Cacturne AND Shiftry. I also had no fighting types and the rest of my team was around lvl 35, while Sydney's team was lvl 50. Took me a week of trying and rage quiting to finally win by the skin of my teeth.

I was not a clever child.

Hm... Wallace was a pain for me in Emerald, and so was Cynthia in Diamond... but, I have to say Lorelei of the E4 in Pokemon Blue. She was one of my greatest obstacles to get past. If I could beat her, the rest was fairly easy.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom