• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review What were the best Pokemon English dub voices to you over the years? Not humans, but Pokemon?

AgedVeteranofShow

Reaction score
For me:

4Kids Era

Gen I:

Bulbasaur (Tara Jayne)
Charmander (Michael Haigney): With the caveat...though his reasoning wasn't good, I still like the portrayal...
Geodude (Michael Haigney)
Psyduck (Michael Haigney)
Squirtle (Eric Stuart)
Poliwag (Rachael Lillis)
Jigglypuff (Rachael Lillis)
Poliwhirl (Eric Stuart)
Snorlax (Michael Haigney)
Scyther (Eric Stuart)

Gen II:

Totodile (Kayzie Rogers)
Cyndaquil (Kayzie Rogers)
Scizor (Eric Stuart)
Politoed (Eric Stuart)

Gen III:

Pelipper (Kayzie Rogers)
Mudkip (Lindsey Warner)
Cacnea (Lindsey Warner)
Torchic (Rachael Lillis)
Treecko (Dan Green/Jay Snyder)
Blaziken (Darren Dunstan)
Grovyle (Darren Dunstan)
Lucario (Sean Schemmel)
Bonsly (Eric Stuart)
Weavile (Eric Stuart)
NEW: Added- Corphish (Maddie Blaustein)

TPCi Era

Gen IV:

Turtwig (James Carter Cathcart)
Torterra (James Carter Cathcart)

Gen V:

Snivy (Michele Knotz)
Oshawott (Lisa Ortiz)
Tepig (Marc Thompson)

Gen VI:

Fletchling (Lisa Ortiz)

(BF Gen III & Gens 7-8: None, I don't like a single choice, sadly...)

Attachments

• maxresdefault.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
I agree with you, how did I forget Maddie's Corphish? It was perfectly cast in AG, my favorite dub voice from then too.

It was so good, Bill Rogers back then even asked Maddie Blaustein for advice on Serebii for how to do his in BF.

Gen 1: Vulpix, starters, Psyduck, Diglett and Dugtrio, Porygon (heard in Who's That Pokemon?) - best is probably Psyduck
Gen 2: starters, Marill, Larvitar, Wobbuffet (Kayzie Rogers), Phanpy, Corsola, Scizor - best is probably Phanpy or Scizor
Gen 3: Corphish, starters, SeVIII-PER!
Gen 4: Garchomp, Chimchar and Turtwig lines, Starly
Gen 5: Snivy, Oshawott
Gen 6: Frogadier

Last edited:

Trivia: Eric Stuart said Squirtle was his favorite Pokemon to voice in the dub because it was his first. He voiced both Ash's Squirtle and May's Squirtle in the original 4Kids Pokémon English dub from September 8, 1998 to its end in September 19, 2006, and stock audio archive of his performances as Squirtle as well as Gary's Blastoise lasted into the current TPCi dub of Pokémon during Battle Frontier through Diamond & Pearl season 1 until finally being scrapped after February 2008.

I agree it's one of the best dub voices for Pokémon they ever came up with, IMO.

For me: Greninja, Cinderace, Inteleon, Skowvet, Fletchling, Bruxish, Rowlet, Litten, Hawlucha, Duraladon and the Clef Line in General.
On the Cleffa to Clefable line, that’s an interesting choice, I liked that whole set too.
Found a few clips because nostalgia here, but I think it’s Tara Jayne Sands as the line along with Rachael Lillis.

Totodile!! It's dub voice made me love the little guy even more!! I wish Kayzie Rogers was still actively voicing it.
I find it interesting she was given both Totodile and Cyndaquil, but I think Kayzie did a great job as both in the dub (the less said on her human roles, the better for me, I have no comment on those— why 4Kids and TPCi thought her vocal timbre was good for little boys especially sometimes I’ll never know, always jarring for me there on the flip side and it came to a boil with her Max rendition).

She was also the best dub Wobbuffet to me, but I surprisingly don’t mind Erica’s much: a bit more nasal, but not a drastic difference unlike many IMO.

Last edited:
I find it interesting she was given both Totodile and Cyndaquil, but I think Kayzie did a great job as both in the dub (the less said on her human roles, the better for me, I have no comment on those— why 4Kids and TPCi thought her vocal timbre was good for little boys especially sometimes I’ll never know, always jarring for me there on the flip side and it came to a boil with her Max rendition).

She was also the best dub Wobbuffet to me, but I surprisingly don’t mind Erica’s much: a bit more nasal, but not a drastic difference unlike many IMO.

Human characters aside, I really liked how she portrayed many of the Pokemon that she voiced.

She was great at making Pokemon that were supposed to be wacky, "sound wacky". Like Wobuffet, Wynaut, Mr. Mime, Totodile.

She was also great at making the baby, or "cute" Pokemon sound so adorable! Pokemon like Cyndaquil, Axew, Azurril (and it's evolution line) Swinub, Smoochum, etc.

Please note: The thread is from 10 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom