• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What will be the future of Sound moves in pokemon? Physical sound moves?

Matleo

追放されたバカ
Reaction score
Currently we have : 14 damage dealing sound moves:
Bug, Water, Dark, Normal, Dragon, Fairy and Flying.

and 12 sound moves for Status(notable Persish Song)

Soundproof users: dragon, fighting, electric, normal, psyshic, fairy, rock , steel, grass, ice.

I dont want a new sound type only new sound moves and changes in sound move mechanics.

maybe some physical dancing sound moves?(fighting, electric, ice, water)

maybe a sound move that causes flinching?

a priority sound move?

a trapping sound move?

Sound waves can be used to levitate and move objects, study says

"But if the intensity is cranked up high enough, sound has the ability to counteract the effects of gravity."

Maybe a diffrent reaction of sound moves on our flying or a diffrent one on the levitating foes?
or them both together?

What if damage dealing sound moves could become SE against the Levitating and the flying pokemon?
or maybe cause flying pokemon to flinch and be SE on Levitating ones?

Sound goes "not well" in gas(air), Birds(bugs and smaller animals too) rather fear and run from engines from planes and airccrafts, the noise makes them fly away.

Both levitating and flying can have 3 immunities max if you count it right.

(normal could be done also with wekness to sound based moves but maybe thats too much, bug would also be too much to nerf , becuse bug needs a buff rather then a nerf)

Maybe this would be a good way to buff a little Liquid Voice somehow?

a sound move that could work like sandstorm or hail, hit through 5 turns?(steel type?)

Thunder is a sound(thundel bolt and thunder should asctually be treated as sound moves)
I think a dancing Thunder Dance physical electric sound damage dealing attack could be created.

Ground sound move would need too be based on frequency.
Ice too(resistance to sound moves), ice sound physical dancing (reducing speed like Bouldoze) or ice sound special freezing move(will-o-wisp) could be created.

new Rock type sound move and new sound ability?
ability based on echoes in mountains and caves(copy a oponents sound move and send it first on the next turn without getting any damage in the proces)?
rigling rocks- would be a sound move that could copy the last sound move used on the field at any momement even after many turns- from your pokemon or the oponents, would fail if any sound moves were not used in battle before it?

Fighting may get new moves: Sound Punch, Combat Dance(sound,physical), Combat Scream???

Steel: heavy metal(infestation but sound based), or maybe a "Bell Hammer" that would work like Force Palm?

a Fire type damage dealing sound move makes sense seeing Primarina this generation, but its in-battle effect would need to be more interesting then that of sparkling aria... I would suggest rising of sp. attack or 50% of blocking the oponents last move for 2 turns. Or make it like water shuriken, based on fire crackers then it could be a multi hit, sound and blast move together

Ghost and Psychic type sound moves should really hapen really with involwing "switching" and "flinching".(Spirit Scream , Telepatic Sound ,Sound bullet, zen sound)

One more fairy sound move
would be good, but maybe a Sound Ball or a priority Sylph Scream (like First Impression)

a ghost type pokemon with soundproof?
(Imagine that Sound moves could hit Phantom force users during semi state.

+other too
ghost/fire starter centaur, flaming horse head chess pokemon,
hp:70 attack,95 defense,75 sp. attack,109 sp.defense 115, speed 62 with soundproof or maybe a greek pan goat creature fire/fairy , hp: 89 attack,95 , defense,91 sp. attack,98 sp.defense 91, speed 62, remember that many fire type now can use flame charge and other moves to be quicker and maybe it can learn singer(copies sound like dancer dancing) or maybe a new sound ability to make all sound moves become priority moves(Acustic Tempo).
woul want a fir works, fire type special sound move that works like water shuriken
)

Last edited:
no one has opion or a wish about this? really no one?

I don't think anyone has huge opinions on sound moves. They are just there, and the only benefit they have is 1. they are special 2. they bypass substitites and 3. certain abilities make use of it. That's it

but what if they would get something added like beeing SE on flying and Levitating pokemon?
Would be for it or against it?

For me some sound moves should be able to hit surf, dig, fly, bounce, phantom force users during the semi invurable state. Sound goes well through ground and water.

Im thinking here of Sparkling Aria, Metal Sound and Disarming Voice.

Last edited:
Don't think too much into it. Steel is immune to poison in Pokemon. There are lots of metals that are poisonous in the real world. That should mean that steel types should have poison type traits, but they don't. Heck there doesn't even exist a Steel/Poison type yet.

I know Pokemon adapts a lot from the real world, but we can't add everything real in the world into Pokemon. Adding new functionalities for sound type moves would make something really simple a lot more complex, and not many people appreciate it.

I'm not shutting down your idea, I'm just suggesting as to why no one responded to this thread.

Adding new functionalities for sound type moves would make something really simple a lot more complex, and not many people appreciate it.
yes I know, but how can we solve problems with Luquid voice, hyper voice , sparkling aria?
If they dont appreciate a little more complexity that would be introduced in game and would be talked about in the game itself.
They could introduce this kind of changes through talks with gym leaders and persons in the game itself to make the players know that early on.

would be talked about in the game itself.
They could introduce this kind of changes through talks with gym leaders and persons in the game itself to make the players know that early on.

That decision wouldn’t be appreciated by the 'hardcore' players. Everyone complained when SM explained stuff a lot.

Just keep it simple and everything's fine. Why fix something that isn’t even broken?

Just keep it simple and everything's fine. Why fix something that isn’t even broken?

right, better that be a choice with posibble "pokedex" usage to explain for everyone who wants to know why. All that kind of info should be in the pokedex in future, would be easy to read alll whats in and then start to play.

right, better that be a choice with posibble "pokedex" usage to explain for everyone who wants to know why. All that kind of info should be in the pokedex in future, would be easy to read alll whats in and then start to play.
Primarina's Moon entry:
"Its singing voice is its chief weapon in battle. This Pokémon's Trainer must prioritize the daily maintenance of its throat at all costs."

Exploud's (pretty much all games, this one taken from Pearl) entry:
Its howls can be heard over six miles away. It emits all sorts of noises from the ports on its body.

Pokedex entries already have explanations on how certain Pokemon use sound moves, and that actually helps people understand that those Pokemon use sound moves pretty well: both Pokemon have sound-based abilities like Soundproof or Liquid Voice, and the entries explain that to people, so I'm not sure what you mean here

I'm not sure what you mean here
info of sound vs. substitute and eventual other changes if they come.
If sound would be (2x) SE on levitate and flying, then we could get that info in pokedex.
(this should really happen, imagine the role of a flying type with Soundproof then )

If Primarina would have got the move Boom-burst, then Liquid voice, and people would use both more.

info of sound vs. substitute and eventual other changes if they come.
If sound would be (2x) SE on levitate and flying, then we could get that info in pokedex.
(this should really happen, imagine the role of a flying type with Soundproof then )

If Primarina would have got the move Boom-burst, then Liquid voice, and people would use both more.
This information is more for competitive use than casual play tbh, and judging by how all cometitive players know this about sound moves it wouldn't be too useful. Also since when would the Pokedex talk about Pokemon moves when it's an encyclopedia of Pokemon, not moves?

you already have such info during game play in the games. They only would need to add new.
Which I have said before would make something simple more complex.

If you really want a sound move idea, fine I'll give this
Quiet Terrain, negates all sound moves

Last edited:
If you really want a sound move idea, fine I'll give this
Quiet Terrain, negates all sound moves
a terrain that works like soundproof is to much, sound moves are not so bad like the sleep stats.

maybe Sound Wall or Sound Curtain (could be flying or ghost type), half sond type move damage only if the sound move moves last in the turn.
-perfect if Levitate users and flying become double weak to sound moves in future generation.

Magnetic Fields Can Control Heat And Sound

- maybe a "sound" move (electric or steel) that could block fire type moves like throat chop blocks sound moves?
(then a fire type with soundproof would make sense)

Dousing flames with low-frequency sound waves - physicsworld.com

- a fire type sound move (Heat lightning(could be electric physical sound move with burn effect) ; Bonfire(blast), Fire works(bullets, blasts); all would be perfect as fire and sound moves)
https://www.quora.com/Why-does-fire-make-noise

I'm starting to think you're becoming a little bit too obsessed with this specific group of 26 moves, if I'll be bluntly honest for a bit. No offense intended, it's just something I couldn't avoid noticing lately.

Now that I've said this, there is something I'd like to see from them in the future. I vaguely remember this one pet mod (which is now dead; I don't even know its name anymore) on Pokémon Showdown a few years ago which included, among some other things, an echo effect on damaging sound-based moves which made them hit the target again on the next turn for a certain percentage of the damage it originally dealt.

Here's an example, using 20% as our echo figure for this.
  • Turn 1: Exploud uses Hyper Voice and deals 150 damage to the opposing Pokémon.
  • Turn 2: After both sides have acted normally, the opposing Pokémon takes 30 damage from the echo.

I'm starting to think you're becoming a little bit too obsessed with this specific group of 26 moves, if I'll be bluntly honest for a bit. No offense intended, it's just something I couldn't avoid noticing lately.

no obsesed but rather its lame that not many do actually damage and most are normal or dark typed
if you look them up (with exception of deadly Perish song).

We have no physical ones, thats one problem.
Plus we need more diffrent types for them.

That echo would be cool.
Im hoping for something reflecting oponents sound moves back after they were used.

Ok I definitely do not see physical sound moves at all. Like sound moves are based off of soundwaves. And yes nature does have some physical-related sound moves, but that's really looking into science and definitely something Pokemon will not touch into.
Also, Wake Up Slap does what your first point does. Though that is an interesting idea

Ok I definitely do not see physical sound moves at all. Like sound moves are based off of soundwaves. And yes nature does have some physical-related sound moves, but that's really looking into science and definitely something Pokemon will not touch into.
Also, Wake Up Slap does what your first point does. Though that is an interesting idea
Eh, I could see a sound move using the physical attack stat if the method of noise generation is more physical. It just wouldn't make contact. Like, earthquake, only maybe it could incorporate a drum or something percussive. I could've seen clanging scales being a physical sound move but hey, I guess not.

do not see physical sound moves at all

a sound punch? by hitting sending sound wave through the target?
or the first hit would be physical and second- after shock would be special, becuse after hiting a sound wave would hit?

if you send sound through something like a metal rod and put it on glass you can break it more easy.
do you know what kind of acustic weapons are now?
That would need contact.

when it comes to a strong clap of hands, that send a sound, that could use physical stats and be a sound wave, could be fighting (Hulk styled).

Some things like lighting and thunder sound goes in pair, when it hits the sound goes too. (would be a great Thunder Dance move)

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom