• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What will Gen 7 be remembered for?

Over all gen 7 sadly never managed to catch my interest as much as the other games did. There's a bunch of positive things but mostly I was bummed that so few of the new Pokémon caught my interest. I liked Drampa, though. There was some cute ones and some badass ones but mostly it was just meh.
I will remember gen 7 for no HM's, no gyms, for that creepy smile the protag always wears in the cutscenes, the cutscenes sometimes being too long... How easy it was to get your pokemon on the same level via that one training island I've even forgotten the name of. I liked how they dared to try something new but sadly it also made me not like the game as much...

Over all gen 7 sadly never managed to catch my interest as much as the other games did. There's a bunch of positive things but mostly I was bummed that so few of the new Pokémon caught my interest. I liked Drampa, though. There was some cute ones and some badass ones but mostly it was just meh.
I will remember gen 7 for no HM's, no gyms, for that creepy smile the protag always wears in the cutscenes, the cutscenes sometimes being too long... How easy it was to get your pokemon on the same level via that one training island I've even forgotten the name of. I liked how they dared to try something new but sadly it also made me not like the game as much...

Personally I loved a lot of their Pokémon. Minior, Litten, Alola Vulpix, Nihilego, Golisipod, Poipole, Alola Meowth, Cosmog, all the tapus.

Mimukyu. There's nothing that is more amusing that seeing NPC's use their Z-move against my freshly sent out Mimikyu and having no damage done. I hope it doesn't happen, but I can see the ability being nerfed in the future.

In my opinion gen 7 will be remember for no HM's, and the island trial instead of the gyms.
As for me, what i'll probably remember the most are pokemon ride and the Pokepelago which are the features I loved the most.

I'll remember it for Hyper Training, the feature which allowed me to live a little and loosen my iron-clad requirements for breeding projects. All Pokémon in a player's party will eventually reach level 100 anyway, so I never saw that as an unobtainable requirement.

Gen 1: It is the first gen
Gen 2: It was a sequel to gen 1
Gen 3: It was the first game to not be bound by the previous storylines
Gen 4: It introduced Lucario, Cynthia, and Looker
Gen 5: It did'nt have past gen Pokémon, and was overall more steampunk, both the region and the new Pokémon themselves. Start of the storyline-driven generations.
Gen 6: It introduced Greninja and was much worse than the previous games.
Gen 7: It introduced Lillie. Trials and Kahunas instead of Gyms, thus the advancement being based more on the region's own ancient culture than a worldwide sport. The plotline\conflict was more personal, so it did'nt really seem like a Pokémon game plotwise, either.

Gen I: a very nice start for the franchise. The first Pokémon experience.

Gen II: the comfiest Pokémon generation with the cutest art style and most nostalgic soundtrack.

Gen III: the most exciting Generation, with the best colour palette and best features.

Gen IV: the most well rounded Generation overall

Gen V: the games with the best plot and most fleshed out human characters.

Gen VI: the first ever 3D generation, but ended up being a mixed bag.

Gen VII: The first "real world proportions" Gen, that introduced many innovations but ended up being even more of a mixed bag than the previous one.

Last edited:
For me, offering the most diverse looking cast of characters in terms of skin tone to date (and none of them were censored this time as far as I know.) Few people truly understand how big of a deal that is for this series. In terms of gameplay, it'll be known as the game that FINALLY did away with HM's!

1. Trials.

I think Gen 7 will probably be remembered more for trying to change the stale concept of having Gyms all the time. While it can certainly be argued that Trials are basically re-painted Gyms, I still feel like Game Freak went for a nice, different approach by having them more mini-game like with an actual boss at the very end once you complete the task at hand. That said...

2. Totem Pokemon

I think Totem Pokemon will always be remembered as actually being rather challenging for quite a few people! Totem Lurantis certainly wasn't a pushover, and I remember quite a few having trouble with Totem Mimikyu as well! I think, difficulty-wise, the concept of Totem Pokemon is about as far as Game Freak should go. It provides an adequate challenge or some while not being overwhelmingly difficult.

3. Lillie

Love her or hate her, I think Lillie is essentially the poster child of Gen 7, even moreso than Kukui! She obviously has a big part in the games, and throughout early to mid SM she even became a meme for the whole "get in the bag nebby" stuff that she kept saying. xD I think Lillie is an alright character all things considered, but she's certainly memorable for better or worse.

4. Team Skull

Saving the best for last here. I'm not really including the Aether Foundation here because IMO I think they're less memorable by a long shot. Team Skull and their humorous, thug-like attitude brought a fresh perspective to what was once a repetitive formula of always having villainous teams be psychotic and world-conquering. It's nice to actually have an "evil" team who are really nothing more than a bunch of troublemakers and thugs, therefore making them more human than other evil teams prior.

Plus, Guzma. He's hella memorable.

53_Alolan%20Persian.png

There were also some other things, I think. Grass skirts. Beasts from the sky. A crazy b-tch whose mothering skills were a few parsecs south of incompetent. et cetera, et cetera...

For me, it will be remembered for...

Positively:
Alolan Variations (although they're all Gen I 'sigh*)
Team Skull
Graphically - Environments that are MUCH less 2.5D (in S/M and US/UM)

Negatively:
Lets Go Pikachu/Eevee
SOS feature in wild Pokemon battles
Alola feeling very cramped and limited
Inconsistent Difficulty
Lack of National Dex
Gen I pandering overkill

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom