• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh What will happen right after the Isle or Armor and the Crown Tundra original release?

Right after the Isle or Armor and Crown Tundra releases, what do you think might happen?

• Remastered Compilation of Generations I-VII Main Series Video Games

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
They can’t do more DLC, since that’d be a marketing nightmare and generate less buzz than a new game. They can’t do Gen 9 because they really lack the resources to churn out a new region so soon, so we're really out of choices.

I don’t think there will be an anniversary game because they celebrated the 20th anniversary for three years. We'll be just trapped in an endless cycle of GameFreak celebrating itself if that happens.

Let's Go Johto is highly unlikely this generation as well since they already released LGPE before Sword and Shield and having one this generation would cause the previous Let's Go games to prematurely slow down in terms of sales. So really, at this point, the only choices they have are either another break year which I doubt or a Sinnoh remake.

Let's Go Johto is highly unlikely this generation as well since they already released LGPE before Sword and Shield and having one this generation would cause the previous Let's Go games to prematurely slow down in terms of sales. So really, at this point, the only choices they have are either another break year which I doubt or a Sinnoh remake.
They could also make a brand new type of main series game.

I'd love to have the Sinnoh remakes.

On a more personal level, I might be thrilled about the expansion as it promises to have lots of new content and more open world areas... or very disappointed if it fails to deliver, for that price. I hope it is the former.

They can’t do more DLC, since that’d be a marketing nightmare and generate less buzz than a new game. They can’t do Gen 9 because they really lack the resources to churn out a new region so soon, so we're really out of choices.

I don’t think there will be an anniversary game because they celebrated the 20th anniversary for three years. We'll be just trapped in an endless cycle of GameFreak celebrating itself if that happens.

That has how they have been treating Gen 1/Kanto since X & Y so that self graduatory approach wouldn't be too out of place.

That has how they have been treating Gen 1/Kanto since X & Y so that self graduatory approach wouldn't be too out of place.
Making Kanto region 10 times over will gradually stop selling though, and churning out a new generation as an anniversary game again (which was the actual argument there) will eventually lead to unfeasible levels of anniversary celebrations.

i'm going to get the boring reply out of the way: who knows, right? before isle and armor and crown tundra, i'm sure some people were under the impression that we were getting a third game of some sorts, and looks like swsh's shelf life is getting extended a fair bit with its dlc, so it seems reasonable to assume that's going to be the trend going forward. maybe. i think this is probably it as far as the dlc goes though, since i don't think it'd go over well with people to pay $20-30 more than they're already paying for content that they argue should've been in the base game to begin with, so that can be ruled out.

i feel like the biggest thing i have to go on is the timing of the dlc releases. isle of armor is likely intentionally being released in june, that way it can revitalize interest in swsh and get people to talk about the games more until crown tundra, which would essentially wrap up the swsh games as i don't think (but not discounting entirely) that game freak is going to release any additional priced content, lest they get a TON of bad PR for it. i think crown tundra is meant to appease players for a few months until game freak figures out how to proceed from here on out, but if i had to take a WILD guess, it'd be some sort of spin-offish game that's technically main series like lgpe, but i don't think it'll be let's go johto or anything like that. it'll probably be a different game altogether.

I can see them doing a (sadly) bare-bones Sinnoh remake in 2021 and a Sinnoh DLC in 2022 (maybe including Distortion World and Battle Resort, or a Arceus related episode). I'd welcome a 4 year generation in the hope that Gen 9 will be full fleshed out by then. (A pipe dream , I know)

IIRC... I can't remember the exact wording, but in the Armor/Tundra trailer they said something like "these are just 2 examples of what we are working on". To me, I took it as them making more DLC other than what we know of right now, but who knows. At some point in time I'm hoping we get an RPG that's in the same vein as the Colosseum games; a side-game that has main series mechanics.

IIRC... I can't remember the exact wording, but in the Armor/Tundra trailer they said something like "these are just 2 examples of what we are working on". To me, I took it as them making more DLC other than what we know of right now, but who knows. At some point in time I'm hoping we get an RPG that's in the same vein as the Colosseum games; a side-game that has main series mechanics.
That's what I think is going to happen.

I will just say this, we don't know how to even predict.
Go back to black and white
We'll sure get a third game right?
Wrong we got a sequel!
X and Y, oh for sure Z is gonna come!
We got ORAS and no third version
Sun and Moon, we all thought of DP remakes because of the previous gen, even when that gen already had broken up some previous very well established norms, like gyms.
We got USUM, did you predict it? I sure didn't.
Then, the switch, for sure a remake is coming!
We were right! We got, what for me is the worst remake I've ever played, in the form of Let's Go games. (So predictable right?)
Then came Sword and Shield... did you expect DLC?

With this, I say... it's obvious DP remakes will happen and stop saying otherwise.
I say this not based on facts, but based that a lot of people failed the transition from GBA to DS (me included) and never played those games.
I never played 4th and 5th gen, unfortunately.
And you @RileyXY1 , your logic at points makes the same sense as when at the france pavillon at epcot they decided to make a croissant with snails just to represent France. Why? Because they eat croissants and snails in France of course.

IIRC... I can't remember the exact wording, but in the Armor/Tundra trailer they said something like "these are just 2 examples of what we are working on".

Figured I'd give the Direct a rewatch to verify this bit. With surrounding context, it states as follows: "Plus, there will be new battles waiting for you to challenge once you complete your entire game, including the Isle of Armor and the Crown Tundra. We can't go into the details of everything, but we're working on planning and developing new ways to enjoy Pokémon even as we speak! The Isle of Armor and the Crown Tundra areas themselves are actually two key examples of the things we're working on! Both areas are in fact seamless maps much like the Wild Area you can already experience in the Galar region where players are able to move around freely and control the camera."

I don't think that necessarily suggests more DLC - the new areas are "key examples" of the "new ways to enjoy Pokémon" that they're developing, which is a pretty generic cover-all phrase, presumably also including the new battle challenges they mentioned first.

Sun and Moon, we all thought of DP remakes because of the previous gen, even when that gen already had broken up some previous very well established norms, like gyms.
We got USUM, did you predict it? I sure didn't.

I'll grant that people didn't really see USUM coming, although DP remakes weren't the prevalent guess. It was kind of a three-way tie between those, (proper) Alola-based SM sequels, and the "Pokémon Stars" for the Switch that'd been purported by certain gaming journalism outlets (which in essence was similar to USUM, since it was said to be a port of SM, but "for the Switch" was a crucial part of the report). Kanto-based sequels to SM were a bit more of a niche guess, but that was the camp I was in.

Then, the switch, for sure a remake is coming!

I don't think this is something a lot of people predicted. After USUM were revealed, I think most people expected a brand-new storyline and region for the first Switch game, especially since Game Freak went ahead and announced about a week after the USUM reveal that they were working exactly that. Let's Go then came out of left field at E3 2018, where they also confirmed that the core games for the Switch that they had spoken of at E3 2017 would be out in 2019 and would feature more traditional gameplay in comparison to Let's Go.

Figured I'd give the Direct a rewatch to verify this bit. With surrounding context, it states as follows: "Plus, there will be new battles waiting for you to challenge once you complete your entire game, including the Isle of Armor and the Crown Tundra. We can't go into the details of everything, but we're working on planning and developing new ways to enjoy Pokémon even as we speak! The Isle of Armor and the Crown Tundra areas themselves are actually two key examples of the things we're working on! Both areas are in fact seamless maps much like the Wild Area you can already experience in the Galar region where players are able to move around freely and control the camera."

I don't think that necessarily suggests more DLC - the new areas are "key examples" of the "new ways to enjoy Pokémon" that they're developing, which is a pretty generic cover-all phrase, presumably also including the new battle challenges they mentioned first.

I'll grant that people didn't really see USUM coming, although DP remakes weren't the prevalent guess. It was kind of a three-way tie between those, (proper) Alola-based SM sequels, and the "Pokémon Stars" for the Switch that'd been purported by certain gaming journalism outlets (which in essence was similar to USUM, since it was said to be a port of SM, but "for the Switch" was a crucial part of the report). Kanto-based sequels to SM were a bit more of a niche guess, but that was the camp I was in.

I don't think this is something a lot of people predicted. After USUM were revealed, I think most people expected a brand-new storyline and region for the first Switch game, especially since Game Freak went ahead and announced about a week after the USUM reveal that they were working exactly that. Let's Go then came out of left field at E3 2018, where they also confirmed that the core games for the Switch that they had spoken of at E3 2017 would be out in 2019 and would feature more traditional gameplay in comparison to Let's Go.

Thing is Lets go was revealed at E3

Thing is Lets go was revealed at E3

Not quite. The timeline was as follows:

June 6, 2017 - Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon are announced alongside Pokkén Tournament DX in a Pokémon Direct. Before this occurred, there was lots of speculation as to what sort of game would succeed Sun & Moon - ranging from Diamond & Pearl remakes, to Sun & Moon sequels, to sequels set in Kanto, to a Switch port of Sun & Moon supposedly called Pokémon Stars, which had been talked about ever since it was first reported on the day of Sun & Moon's release.
June 13, 2017 - At E3, Tsunekazu Ishihara announces that Game Freak have started development on a core RPG title for the Switch, although it "may not release for more than a year."
May 30, 2018 - The Pokémon Company host a press conference in Tokyo, with three major announcements: The launch of Pokémon Quest, the upcoming launch of Let's Go, Pikachu! & Let's Go, Eevee! set for later that year, and the formal confirmation of a 2019 release date for the aforementioned "core RPG title for the Switch" they'd announced at the previous year's E3.
June 13, 2018 - Let's Go, Pikachu! and Let's Go, Eevee! feature at E3, but by this point, they have already been announced to the public at TPC's own press conference the month before.
February 27, 2019 - Sword & Shield are finally revealed in a Pokémon Direct.

What I'm ultimately saying is that there wasn't really any time for "the first games for the Switch will be remakes" to be a popular theory in between Stars being debunked by USUM and the Pokémon Company confirming that they were working on a new title for the Switch very soon after that. I remember most people thinking that "new title" would feature a new region and storyline (and indeed it did, since Ishihara was not referring to the Let's Go project), and were therefore surprised when Let's Go was then announced out of nowhere and landed on the Switch first.

If we do get DP remakes next year(and I do think it's possible), my only hope is that it's not going to be aesthetically similar to Let's Go. I'd very much like to see Sinnoh look more like SWSH, and not so much chibi characters and blocky terrain. Geographically and climate-wise, Sinnoh is my favorite region and I'm dying to see it get the Galar treatment.

If we do get DP remakes next year(and I do think it's possible), my only hope is that it's not going to be aesthetically similar to Let's Go. I'd very much like to see Sinnoh look more like SWSH, and not so much chibi characters and blocky terrain. Geographically and climate-wise, Sinnoh is my favorite region and I'm dying to see it get the Galar treatment.
I think that's going to happen, unless GF is obsessed with nostalgia for some reason.

I don't think they'll be like Let's Go. I liked those games, but I'm increasingly convinced that they were an aberration. Sword & Shield already went ahead and integrated what people liked about them into the proper core series (along with Raid battles, which weren't even in Let's Go first), such that the transition for anyone whose first game was Let's Go and whose second was Sword or Shield should be fairly smooth.

I'm reluctant to use the term "slapped together," but that's kind what LGPE were in some sense - an experimental title drawn up in response to GO's suddenly popularity, and constructed in a way that would make it feasible to release it very quickly without taking away from the primary development work going into Sword & Shield. So simple graphics and a limited roster makes sense. Whereas DP remakes would presumably be intended to serve the same purpose as FRLG, HGSS, and ORAS - that is, recreating an old, beloved game on the current gameplay engine in order to prolong the current generation's mechanics and metagame while early work begins on the next set of new generation games.

I don't think they'll be like Let's Go. I liked those games, but I'm increasingly convinced that they were an aberration. Sword & Shield already went ahead and integrated what people liked about them into the proper core series (along with Raid battles, which weren't even in Let's Go first), such that the transition for anyone whose first game was Let's Go and whose second was Sword or Shield should be fairly smooth.

I'm reluctant to use the term "slapped together," but that's kind what LGPE were in some sense - an experimental title drawn up in response to GO's suddenly popularity, and constructed in a way that would make it feasible to release it very quickly without taking away from the primary development work going into Sword & Shield. So simple graphics and a limited roster makes sense. Whereas DP remakes would presumably be intended to serve the same purpose as FRLG, HGSS, and ORAS - that is, recreating an old, beloved game on the current gameplay engine in order to prolong the current generation's mechanics and metagame while early work begins on the next set of new generation games.
But, I'm just worried that the remakes will keep the same blocky graphics and chibi models for the sake of nostalgia.

But, I'm just worried that the remakes will keep the same blocky graphics and chibi models for the sake of nostalgia.
Chibi models weren't really in the original DPPt so I don't think they will return. I'm fairly certain ORAS had chibi models due to technological limitations (and the hand-drawn battle-portraits were all in a normal style anyways), while chibi models were probably in LGPE to make the games more cutesy.

As for blocky graphics, I think there is a possibility that they will return and that the remakes will be on a grid as a result, however, I think that would be less of a nostalgia-fueled decision and more of a limitations thing. While possible, I don't think GameFreak would want to put a ton of effort into updating Sinnoh's layout to make it comparable to SwSh.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom