• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh What will happen right after the Isle or Armor and the Crown Tundra original release?

Right after the Isle or Armor and Crown Tundra releases, what do you think might happen?

• Remastered Compilation of Generations I-VII Main Series Video Games

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
What we think of them didn’t really matter in the long run. There are enough people loving the games remember ThankYouGameFreak? On a side note: I find it slightly ridiculous that there’s stuff like "We should be grateful they’re making the games", when we're literally paying (it can be argued a worse value than previous entries) for them. GameFreak hardly make games for altruistic purposes. They get loads more than we get.

I've adopted the tendency separating of what I want them to and what they would do, since any sort of hopes have been crushed many times in the past.

The new generation brings a coalossal amount of income: merchandise sales, PR boosts due to new Pokemon, spotlight in the media. And new games would have higher margins too. They also tend to sell more than remakes or DLC,
The following day gamefreak lied was trending xD I remember that roller coaster.

They provide more PR, and kick start a new merchandise cycle with the new Pokemon. The majority of the profits come from merchandise sales so having a new stock of plushies provides new stuff to promote and sell.

With the coming DLCs there's already quite a fair bit of new merchandise they can sell. What I'm saying new PR doesn't have to come with a new gen if they can push the boundaries through DLC. Introduce new pokemon with the DLCs, new locations, heck even a new battle mechanic.

Incredibly well. They're the fourth best-selling main series games and are on track to overtake Diamond & Pearl as the third. They've outsold every 3DS Pokémon title despite sustaining many of those games' design choices that the more committed fandom have been criticizing for seven years and despite being shadowed by the Dexit controversy. So yeah, regardless of what one thinks of the quality of the games, new generation rollouts are pretty undeniably sweet. The general audience adores the main series and doesn't really seem to need it to do much more than it's doing.

4/8 generations doesn't sound that great? Yea they have the general audience wrapped around their fingers but I don't think that new gen being superior is absolutely true. I mean USUM sold really well for a third version, the best a third version has ever sold in fact and they churned that out within a year as well. Besides, there's also the fact that they chose to start the Switch era with a remake which also sold really well. What I'm saying is, a whole new generation is not evvvverything.

With the coming DLCs there's already quite a fair bit of new merchandise they can sell. What I'm saying new PR doesn't have to come with a new gen if they can push the boundaries through DLC. Introduce new pokemon with the DLCs, new locations, heck even a new battle mechanic.

4/8 generations doesn't sound that great? Yea they have the general audience wrapped around their fingers but I don't think that new gen being superior is absolutely true. I mean USUM sold really well for a third version, the best a third version has ever sold in fact and they churned that out within a year as well. Besides, there's also the fact that they chose to start the Switch era with a remake which also sold really well. What I'm saying is, a whole new generation is not evvvverything.
DLC would never introduce as many Pokemon as a new gen. LGPE is also a very situational game. It's purpose is solely to get people who play GO into the main series and nothing more.

LGPE is also a very situational game. It's purpose is solely to get people who play GO into the main series and nothing more.
I definitely don’t think that was its sole purpose. One goal, sure, but the game as a whole appealed to a whole lot more than just people who had played exclusively GO until that point.

The yearly releases have already ended thanks to the DLC, though. By "churning out anniversary games" I was referring to a new Generation like Sun and Moon. Not every anniversary has to mean a new Generation. It would get unfeasible quickly. But non new generation games can work off a previous engine and are feasible. I was disagreeing with Riley on how x anniversary would mean a new generation.

I guess you can say the yearly releases have ended thanks to the DLC, but the expansion pass does seem to occupy the same role as the "third versions" of the past, even if the execution is a bit different. Monster hunter World : Iceborne is essentially the "ultimate" version of World despite the primary distribution method being DLC instead of a new game (though the option to get it that way does exist).

Also with regards, to the anniversary. Now that you clarified it, I agree with you.

I definitely don’t think that was its sole purpose. One goal, sure, but the game as a whole appealed to a whole lot more than just people who had played exclusively GO until that point.

Such as people who wanted to play a main series game on the Switch without having to wait a whole extra year, for instance. I mean, that's the reason why I bought it. Plus, LGPE too has sold just shy of 12 million copies - those can't possibly all be GO-borne inductees.

The new gens tend to be the most marketed thanks in part to the new Pokemon. New Pokemon means brand new merch to market. I think that we'll be seeing Gen 9 in 2022.

I agree with 2020 to 2023, although I feel like by 2026, a whopping eight years after LGPE, the interest train for Let's Go-style games will have well and truly left the station. Or, at least, for something as banal as a straight-up GSC remake, because by that time, Pokémon GO will most likely be caught up with the main series (assuming that GO maintains its current pace of "starting" a new generation every year - me might see Kalos begin to poke its head up later this year, then Alola in late 2021, and then Galar in late 2022... actually, Galar's regional evolutions are already on their way... interestingly, going by your projection, that would make 2023/Gen 9 the first time that the main series and GO are on the "same page"). I think they would need to do something a little more up-to-date with where GO is at by then, rather than arbitrarily limiting the GO-Let's Go compatibility to only the first 251 Pokémon even though it'll have been almost a decade since LGPE.

Even at the point when LPGE released, limiting it just to Kanto Pokemon was horribly outdated to Pokemon Go's current state. At the point, the game came out, the game was already almost done with Gen 4. I understand that it was to recapture Gen 1 nostalgia and the game would have probably started production during Go's heyday when only Gen 1 Pokemon were there, but that doesn't change the fact that it was inaccurate to the current state of Go at the time. I could also go on a whole rant about how poorly Let's Go transitions Go players to the main series, due to the mechanics it chose to include/exclude, but I'll save that for another time.

Last edited:
Even at the point when LPGE released, limiting it just to Kanto Pokemon was horribly outdated to Pokemon Go's current state. At the point, the game came out, the game was already almost done with Gen 4. I understand that it was to recapture Gen 1 nostalgia and the game would have probably started production during Go's heyday when only Gen 1 Pokemon were there, but that doesn't change the fact that it was inaccurate to the current state of Go at the time. I could also go on a whole rant about how poorly Let's Go transitions Go players to the main series, due to the mechanics it chose to include/exclude, but I'll save that for another time.

"It started production during GO's heyday when only Gen 1 Pokémon were there" is probably a better way of capturing what I'm trying to get at in that post. Let's Go started on the same foot that GO started. But a follow-up would be conceived in the context of a version of GO that has gone through numerous updates to catch up to the more modern generations - at the end of the day, it's probably considerably easier to develop gradual content updates for GO than it is to develop a whole game like Let's Go from the ground up.

Though in any case, while I'd prefer if they didn't limit anything, I think it will always feel less weird to limit things to just the original 151 than to them plus another generation or two, because the original batch is a special exception by dint of being original. Pokémon Quest didn't have to set any limitation for itself in terms of which Pokémon it included, but it still stuck entirely to the original roster.

It's the same kind of deal where there were those begging for Gen 6 to be going on for the longest time, a generation never lasts forever, that's a fact.

Last edited:
It’s not really about whether or not they care about backlash; it’s about whether they are feasibly able to push a quality product out in the same timeframe with the added restrictions created by the current situation.

Something tells me they can still develop and do things remotely. I wouldn’t be surprised if it got delayed, but I don’t think it will be delayed an entire year. Either way, we’d never know the initial intended release date so we’d never really know if it was delayed or not unless they outright told us.

Honestly, the reason why I want Gen 9 to come out so much later is because I want them to port over the pre-existing regions as DLC maps for you to explore. No need for any convoluted plot like Team Skull/TeamFlare taking over the world; just a chance for you to roam around and maybe do the gym league. I think that could be done via DLCs and would also make them pretty worthwhile.

Honestly, the reason why I want Gen 9 to come out so much later is because I want them to port over the pre-existing regions as DLC maps for you to explore. No need for any convoluted plot like Team Skull/TeamFlare taking over the world; just a chance for you to roam around and maybe do the gym league. I think that could be done via DLCs and would also make them pretty worthwhile.
It would make more financial sense if they did traditional remakes.

It would make more financial sense if they did traditional remakes.

Yea but isn't there supposed to be a port for Alola already? They can't possibly released GigantaUltraSunMun once again. I mean I already know what you're going to say but I'm just thinking what could be nice for the fans not whether GameFreak makes money or not.

Yea but isn't there supposed to be a port for Alola already? They can't possibly released GigantaUltraSunMun once again. I mean I already know what you're going to say but I'm just thinking what could be nice for the fans not whether GameFreak makes money or not.
Where did they say they were going to do a port of Alola?

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom