• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What will happen to Ash's Z-Ring and Z-Crystals?

Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
SPOILER WARNING! THIS THREAD CONTAINS SPOILERS FOR THE SWORD AND SHIELD GAMES

With the news that Z-Moves will not be making a return in SwSh, I was wondering what is going to happen to Ash's Z-Moves and Z-Crystals. There's a couple of options I suppose:
  • He will leave them at home (assuming he goes back to Pallet at all)
  • He will leave them at Kukui's (where they are just left to rot as well)
  • He will give them to Tapu Koko (who gave Ash the Z-Ring in the first place, and the Guardians keep Z-Crystals as well)
  • He will give them to another Trainer (I see this as highly unlikely, and I would really dislike this)
  • He WILL bring them with him to Galar (I give this a 1% chance, he'd be the only Trainer in Galar with Z-moves and I doubt the writers would go on with an outdated feature)
The farewell of Z-Moves was to be expected as we're moving on to a new feature (Dynamaxing) but SMUSUM still had Mega Evolutions and they still had a minor role in the SM series. It's going to be weird to see a thing that was such a huge part of a saga likely disappear completely (now watch the classmates visit Galar with Z-moves) and all those Crystals Ash gathered just go away like that.

That said, I think it's safe to say many will be glad Z-Moves are gone. They have been little more than pretty animations and OHKO moves. Let's just not hope Dynamaxing will have the same problems

He'll probably just leave it in his room on that drawer with the rest of his souvenirs from his past journeys. Still, the odds that we'll ever see him perform a Z-Move again after SuMo are so low that it really doesn't matter.

I like the idea of them being destroyed in some kind of big battle that some users have mentioned before. Either something about a big Team Rocket plot or in the obligatory book end match with Tapu Koko.

But I wouldn't be surprised if he left them out in a simpler way, placing it in a shelf alongside a picture of the Alola class in the last SM episode, and from the first SWSH episode onward it's never mentioned again.

He uses the Deus ex Machina move with Pikachu during the big climatic moment (probably related to Team Rocket if that happens)... unfortunately for him the Deus ex Machina move is so broken, so marvellously broken (that it could make the Balloon command from KH: Dream Drop Distance weep), it ends up damaging and eventually destroying his Z crystal thus he can no longer use any more moves ever again.

Or he just leaves it at home with his other trophies and stuff from past regions and once he leaves to Galar it magically disappears off the face of the earth.

I kind of like the idea of Ash's Z-Ring and Z-Crystals being destroyed. I don't dislike Z-Moves that much, but it would have a more dramatic tone to the situation and possibly factor into why Ash leaves Alola. It is more likely that he'll just leave them at his house along with other stuff he's gotten from his various journeys though. Even though they probably aren't going to be featured in the SWSH series, I'm not sure if they'd want to eliminate any chance of Ash using Z-Moves in the future in case they are going to be in other games in the future.

I think that Ash will just his Z-Ring and Z-Crystals at his house. I don't think that his Z-Ring will be destroyed unless GF intends on having Z-Moves be an Alola only feature.

He will obviously feed them to Necrozma so he will permanently stay as Ultra Necrozma, of course.

As a serious answer, I think he will do what he did with the Badges from past adventures: leave them at home. Even though, I like the idea of them becoming unusable, but that would bring the point of what they could do if they brought Z-Moves back in the games in the future.

After SM is done and Ash returns to Pallet town, an anime version of Ohmori and Masuda will come and forcefully take them away from him. They'll also be taking all the Pokémon that are not in the Galar dex.

After SM is done and Ash returns to Pallet town, an anime version of Ohmori and Masuda will come and forcefully take them away from him. They'll also be taking all the Pokémon that are not in the Galar dex.
Ash decides to Thanos snap his entire team excluding Pikachu and whatever Pokemon he has that are part of Galar, wipes his brain clean of any memories he has of them and starts from scratch.

Last edited:
Pretty sure it’s been established Z-crystals just can’t be used outside of Alola, otherwise they just disintegrate like Ash’s first crystal did. The Z-Crystal gods want them to stay in Alola.

Don't you dare, heretic. Rotomdex is awesome.
Rotomdex is literally the only character I’d rate lower than Max as a member of the group goes. He manages to outuseless Max by virtue of being a Pokémon who, even in the worst of pinches, can’t help with anything due to being in a Pokédex and is twice as annoying. It’s even worse that it’s looking like we’re gonna be stuck with him in Sword and Shield because of the Rotom Phone.

Pretty sure it’s been established Z-crystals just can’t be used outside of Alola, otherwise they just disintegrate like Ash’s first crystal did. The Z-Crystal gods want them to stay in Alola.
That would make sense, if that was true, but it isn't. Too bad Satoshi and Kaki used their Z-Crystals in the Kanto episode, at Cerulean gym.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom