• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What will next month's information influx entail to the future?: Possibility of revea

Status
Not open for further replies.

BulbaBot

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur
Reaction score
What will next month's information influx entail to the future?: Possibility of revealing ...

Since it has been heavily suggested that we may see one or two previously-unknown Pokémon next month, it is interesting to consider this possibility from Nintendo's perspective. The reason an introduction of new critters would be surprising at this time is not the so-called prematurity of such an event, but the fact that hinting at a new generation would be inapt at a time when Nintendo is reluctant to even mention its next handheld system.

Read more on Bulbanews

It seems to me that regardless of whether or not new Pokémon are in our very near future, there is no certainty about our predictions regarding Game Freak's future projects. We should refrain from assumptions based on previous generations, rather like what we would undoubtedly be doing if this were 1997 and Ho-oh suddenly appeared as though from nowhere.

But wasn't that entire article just assuming that its too early for gen 5, that last paragraph seems rather contradicterary.

The DS and onward games are much harder to make so im guessing that the games will be released in larger gaps rather than the traditional patterns. I think the only reason the third game is being released at this time is because there wont be as much changes needed to the landscape. I think they will probibly update the storyline a bit.

As for G/S remakes, they have to develop both Johto and Kanto in 3D. I dont think this will be out for A while so it is probibly be best the new handheld platform isn't out any time soon.

The idea presented in the last paragraph is that after all is said and done, two new Pokémon are seemingly being foreshadowed. I am taking into account the possibility that this foreshadowing has merit, rather than being a gross misinterpretation.

The point is that even if one or two new Pokémon are revealed, it will not a change a thing about the reality of the new platform generation. Instead, it will raise some interesting questions, among which is whether the DS will accommodate more than one Pokémon generation (unlike its three predecessors). It is for this reason that I brought up the story of Pocket Monsters 2 that were designed for the Game Boy, only to be delayed for so long that they were renamed and shifted to a new system.

Another feasible question is whether the new Pokémon should be viewed as part of the current generation. Could they follow the lines of the three additional Deoxys forms - by being featured in the third game or remakes - even if they were not new forms of existent Pokémon? Would they be the solution to the so-called problem of redundancy of new DS installments in completing the National Dex?

I've actually heard some rumours floating around about a new DS being revealed in July...

All About Pokemon Figure says that Tomy has referred to "Pokémon A" as Shaymin, so it's pretty likely that one's just an alternate form. The Pokémon A stylus has inverted colors of the regular Shaymin one.

I also don't think that Generation V is likely for the DS. I think it's pretty obvious that the next place to go is Johto. I didn't notice this in the anime when I watched it, but Bulbapedia brings up a good point: "Lastly, in DP066, Reiji's badges are shown to the camera, scrolling across from Kanto to Hoenn to Sinnoh to Johto. If the camera were to go Generation-wise, Johto would come between Kanto and Hoenn. Based upon this fact, the camera goes according to recent games: Pokémon FireRed and LeafGreen Versions for Kanto, Pokémon Emerald Version for Hoenn, Pokémon Diamond and Pearl Versions for Sinnoh, and then a Johto-based game would come."

Good editorial.

Was it previously known that the Pokémon Battle Wheel item will be released April 22? Even if Pokémon A were just an alternate form of Shaymin, wouldn't it be odd if we saw it two days from now without any special announcement? Furthermore, both Pokémon A and B are featured in this item (Shaymin is not), so how would it make more sense if just one of them were brand new?

I now have my doubts. Either way, the main points in my editorial really are independent of what Pokémon A and B turn out to be.

I dunno what to expect if Shaymin had an alt form...

...maybe it'd be like Super Sonic. :p

If you are referring to this, it has been debunked by Nintendo.
While that may be so, Nintendo denied the DS Lite's existence literally the day before the DS Lite was revealled...you cannot say for sure that it wont happen

I also don't think that Generation V is likely for the DS. I think it's pretty obvious that the next place to go is Johto. I didn't notice this in the anime when I watched it, but Bulbapedia brings up a good point: "Lastly, in DP066, Reiji's badges are shown to the camera, scrolling across from Kanto to Hoenn to Sinnoh to Johto. If the camera were to go Generation-wise, Johto would come between Kanto and Hoenn. Based upon this fact, the camera goes according to recent games: Pokémon FireRed and LeafGreen Versions for Kanto, Pokémon Emerald Version for Hoenn, Pokémon Diamond and Pearl Versions for Sinnoh, and then a Johto-based game would come."
Where does it say that?

Serebii said:
While that may be so, Nintendo denied the DS Lite's existence literally the day before the DS Lite was revealled...you cannot say for sure that it wont happen
Even if that were the case again, any system announced this year would have to be another variation on the DS. Satoru Iwata didn't deny anything when he stated that even in 2011 it might be too soon for releasing a successor platform - he was sharing insight into Nintendo's agenda, which is evidently still very deeply focused on the DS.

I'll be pretty surprised if the bird creature in the hat on the cover of the Shaymin manga isn't Pokemon A or B but rather some weird robot or carving or whatever.

I think it is entirely possible that Generation V may still be on the DS, but it is ultimately up in the air as to if Nintendo needs to release a new handheld within the next 3 years. The DS pretty much owns the market share, and Nintendo may be happy to just coast on it's success. The only way they would be forced to release a new platform in the next two year period is if the PSP suddenly picked up steam out of nowhere, and I don't see that happening since it's shown it hasn't been able to get that casual gamer marketshare like the DS has. We may even get another situation like Gold and Silver where Generation V can be played on the DS but have graphical enhancements when played on the hypothetical DS II.

I'll be pretty surprised if the bird creature in the hat on the cover of the Shaymin manga isn't Pokemon A or B but rather some weird robot or carving or whatever.

And one would be correct ths time. It's not. It's from the "Duel Monsters" Manga series.

But is it a robot wood carving? ; )

My god, I hope that Pokemon A or B is some new form of evolution for Meowth. Poor thing is the second most recognized Pokemon and it's got nothing while everything else gets babies and evolution out of the wazoo. Even Azurill, quite possibly the most unnecessary baby Pokemon in the history of the franchise.

If it is an alternate form of Shaymin, wouldn't that be perfect for Kanto's white rock?

An alternate form of Shaymin and an early reveal of Arceus in this movie in setup for the next one has always been a much more likely outcome than actual new Pokemon being revealed.

It's nice to see that some other people are slowly beginning to see this instead of just blindly assuming that "new Pokemon" means that it's time to forget about the 4th Generation and focus on the next one already.

There are a few points that should be understood:

1) Pokémon A and Pokémon B are going to be revealed tomorrow. This is apparently a last-minute change, because if anyone had known it was going to be so early they would have dismissed the theory as soon as CoroCoro was released without an announcement. Even an alternate Shaymin form seems unlikely to be revealed out of the blue - as a toy item of all things.

2) The editorial does not deal with the question of Pokémon A and B's identities. It offers an explanation for either why no new Pokémon will be revealed this year, or why their introduction will not mark the beginning of the same process as in the last two generations.

3) The explanation does not suggest that it is too early for an introduction, or that it is impossible for new Pokémon to be unveiled prior to Arceus. There is an inherent flaw in such explanations in that they stem from a personal opinion, from which I refrained.

4) A look into Nintendo's agenda raises serious questions as to what the next Pokémon generation will hold in store. With the successor to the DS not being on the horizon, Game Freak will have to develop the next generation for the DS if the plan is to release it within four years from now. But then, is that really the plan? The most substantial difference between generations lies in their systems. That tradition was put into a motion when Game Freak could not release Pocket Monsters 2 for the Game Boy, ultimately changing those versions to their colored selves that we know as Gold and Silver.

5) Nintendo's almost-exclusive focus on the DS explains perfectly well the fact we have yet to see the Gold and Silver remakes. It would have been wasted potential to have released them by now.

Last edited:
To back up Unown lords point.

The first and second Gen were released on hardware that, while fantastic at time of release, couldnt keep up with the vast advances in handheld technology.

The DS, however is a fantastic piece of hardware that has'nt seen nearly its full potential used, is considerably younger in comparison and has far too much marketability at this time to try and trump.

It is farely safe to assume then, that either there will not be a new any new Generation announcements for a good while, or that such an announcement would not be the precurser for the expedient development and release of Gen V games.

The upcoming announcement(s), in my opinion, will be something that will be added to this generation (such as new forms/items/software patches or even new installments in the current gen) to keep interest alive and to generate excitement for the franchise and the possibilities of the hardware/software/online capabilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom