• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What will Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire bring to the competitive aspect?

TerraTF

Is Not A Moderator
Reaction score
Every time we get a new entry in the series, the competitive aspect changes dramatically. With 6th Gen being as different from Gen 4 and Gen 5 competitively in the same sense that a Banana is different from an Apple, what major competitive changes do you expect from OR/AS?

For me the clear answer is new Mega's. Let's bring some formerly great Pokemon back into the light. I want a super Bulky Metagross Mega and a quick tanky Salamence.

Everyone's answers don't have to be the same. What move tutor moves do you want introduced? What new items do you want introduced? What new moves do you want Pokemon to learn? It can go on and on.

I hope they don't go too overboard with giving out Mega Evolutions; some Pokes need them for sure, but I still think they should be given out scarcely. That said I agree with the common sentiment that all the starter evolutionary lines should have Megas, so Mega Sceptile and Mega Swampert should happen. We know that Lati twins will be given ones. I also think Rayquaza should be given one. Metagross is one of my favorite pseudo-legendaries, so I hope it gets a Mega.

The number one move tutor move I think needs to happen is Defog. It got a major buff this generation, but so few Pokemon can learn it by breeding or level up.

Well for starters, I think Move Tutors will be a thing, drastically improving the potential of the current metagame Pokes.

*Here's hoping Delphox will get something to make sure...decent T__T*

Move tutors, definitely. Maybe new Megas (if Kyogre and Groudon get Megas as the box art suggests, let me just preemptively call that MKyogre will be the first Pokémon banned from Ubers xD). At the very least, MLati@s will be released.

I'd honestly love a mega swampert with sap sipper. Is it impossible yea, but still a pretty sweet idea. I think Sceptile should be Grass/Dragon based on its looks and moves, and I swear to God Mega Milotic better be Water/Fairy or even a whole retyping for the line. The one thing I really want is a Mega Groudon (my fave legend) should be Ground/Fire and maybe a signature move called Scorched Earth? I know it'd be 4 times weak to water, but it'd still be pretty cool.

As for real possibilities just make move tutor available and make defog easier to get.

So who wants to theorymon a bit?

Mega Kyogre
Ability: Swift Swim
100 HP/100 Atk/130 Def/195 SpA/150 SpDef/95 Spe

AKA "DrizzleSwim: The Pokémon", "Most broken POS in the Game"

Possible Sets:

"All Hail the Whale"
Kyogre @ Kyogrinite
Drizzle -> Swift Swim
Modest
4 HP/252 Sp Atk/252 Speed
~Water Spout/Hydro Pump
~Thunder
~Ice Beam
~Surf/Hydro Pump/Calm Mind

Alas, not even GF is likely to make something so beautifully broken :'(

Mega Kyogre

Possible Sets:

"All Hail the Whale"
Kyogre @ Kyogrinite
Drizzle -> Swift Swim
Modest
~Water Spout/Hydro Pump
~Thunder
~Ice Beam

Welcome to the new Mega Kyogre Smogon tier.

252+ SpA full HP Mega Kyogre Water Spout in Rain vs 252 HP/144 SpD Grass Arceus: 46.6-55.1% (guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock)

Haha, what checks? :D

Come on Mega Dunsparce! I need you!!!

Mega Groudon will be epic and so broken
My theorymon
Stats 100/ 160/ 145/ 175/ 95/ 95

"Solar Killer"
Groudonite
Drought-> Solar Power
252 HP, 252 SpAtk, 4 SpDef
Eruption
Solarbeam
Earth Power
HP Ice

I am very glad that Hoeen will get its remakes.
Answering the question which is the title of the thread...
I dunno.

I'm hoping for a physically defensive version of the Assault vest.

Mega Kyogre

Possible Sets:

"All Hail the Whale"
Kyogre @ Kyogrinite
Drizzle -> Swift Swim
Modest
~Water Spout/Hydro Pump
~Thunder
~Ice Beam

All I can say is full HP water sprout in rain.. the end.

Mega Kyogre

Possible Sets:

"All Hail the Whale"
Kyogre @ Kyogrinite
Drizzle -> Swift Swim
Modest
~Water Spout/Hydro Pump
~Thunder
~Ice Beam

lol @ the thought of needing Calm Mind with those Base Stats. Will we see the first item banned from Ubers?

tbh we won't see another tier outside of ubers. Its called Nintendo Free Battle. Everything goes.

Mega Groudon (Earth/Fire)
Ability: Solar Power

Yes please.

On a more serious note I would not be surprised by Mega Sceptile and Mega Swarmpert and maybe a new mega Blaziken form. The nice thing about the 3ds is they can patch X & Y to allow for new mega pokemon in them.

Next predictmons

70/ 105/ 75/ 125/ 110/ 145

Sceptille@ Sceptillenite
Overgrow/Unburden-> Quick Feet
Grass/Dark
252 Spd, 252 Atk, 4 Def
Night Slash
Leaf Blade
X-Scissor
Rock Slide

And
100/170/110/85/110/60

Swampert@ Swampertite
Torrent/Damp-> Moxie
252 Def, 252 SpDef, 4 Atk
Waterfall
Earthquake
Hammer Arm
Avalanche

And I want HA GenV starters. I want my Contrary Serperior.

derp

Sceptile and Swampert will pick up Mega Evolutions, as will Kyogre, Groudon, Milotic and possibly Zygarde (we'll probably have to wait for Z Version for him, but he does fit in nicely with the natural disaster theme of R/S/E).

Not sure what I'd expect from Mega Milotic (other than dual Water/Fairy typing as BAK said), but whatever it gets I expect it to be formidable.

Move Tutors are likely, as they are typically set aside for the remakes or 3rd versions in a generation (HGSS/Platinum/Emerald/BW2) and never have appeared in the initial installment of a generation.
New megas are obvious.
Extended Pokedex-eligibility to use in VGC is obvious. I mean, face it. Getting Blaziken back into the VGC format might change SOME things. People will start using it more, then people will use more Azumarill and Talonflame to counter it, then people will use even more Electric, Poison and Rock than they already are to counter THOSE. Oh, and of course, Smogon will dish out a whole new wave of bans as new megas are released, and people will tout those bans as gospel, even in official tournament settings, where the judges will just laugh at them.

I'd love a mega Sableye too. It was pretty crushing to see mawile get one and Sableye not, but GF could (and probably will) give him one this gen. There isn't a whole lot Sableye needs fixed though. I mean to be honest it's pretty powerful/annoying now, but maybe some extra power in its stats are in order. I do think it should keep it's typing and abbility if it were to get one.

(I really only want a Mega Sableye because of nostalgia.)

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom