• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What would a Sun & Moon movie have been like?

Gabo2oo

Reaction score
Featured Pokémon? Plot lines? New antagonists like usual or just focused on the already big main cast? Roles of each classmate?
I keep wondering how the artstyle would've looked like, as well.

Take cues from some of the Doraemon movies: take a school trip to an anime-only new location, for example a new volcanic island that appeared out of nowhere in the Alola region, which turns out to be the work of a movie villain or a mythical/legendary

At the end of the movie, the island would get destroyed, so everything stays status quo

It probably wouldn't have happened but I think it would have been cool if the SM movies had either focused on the game plot with Lusamine or the alternate universe that was destroyed by Guzzlord.

I felt that the Guzzlord episode was more like a filler and should have been more serious. It would have been more interesting if Satoshi's friends existed in this alternate universe and we got to see how they dealt with the apocalypse. It would have had a greater impact than a random character of the day who is mostly there to promote Zeraora.

School trip to a Tahiti inspired island, a big fight between Marshadow, the protector god of the island, and Ultra Beast invaders. Classmates would be the peacemakers.

Would have probably continued to beat the cliched dead horses that all the Pokemon films have done before - legendary or mythical Pokemon as the focus, Ash hogging all the spotlight and all the classmates/companions being reduced to absolute fodder.

They probably would have gone to an anime-only location, encounter the Legendary Pokemon of the year, Ash would bond with said Legendary Pokemon and the classmates would be lucky to do anything noteworthy while Ash saves the day. They could have possibly done something with the Ultra Beasts instead, but aside from Guzzlord, I'm not sure if any of them would be threatening enough to warrant a movie. As much as I didn't like how they handled the Nebby arc and Lusamine's character in general, that conflict was more fitting for the series than it would have been for a movie format. They just shouldn't have tried the cram in the climax of the Sun/Moon storyline into one arc when there was no buildup for it prior to that arc.

As cool as it would have been to see the SM cast in a movie, I'm still more than fine that it didn't happen. I love I Choose You and The Power of Us. I think just making the movies set in their own continuity instead of trying to fit them within the events of the newest series gives them some more creative freedom. Since Ash gets all of the focus in nearly all of the movies and the rest of the cast are primarily on the sidelines, they might as well just keep the focus on Ash and maybe some of the new movie only characters. I really hope that they'll keep doing that for the next batch of movies.

An updated version of my post from last year:

The Marshadow movie could be something like this: Marshadow stoles something, and the group chases it through the Ultra Space visiting most of the Ultra Beasts' worlds chasing it. The final showdown is in an alternate Alola where Solgaleo or Lunala rule. Gekijouban Pocket Monsters: Marshadow of the Ultra Space!
The Zeraora movie would be the Necrozma Arc from the anime with many twists. Instead of Poipole's world there's Ultra Megalopolis, and the key to heal Necrozma is Zeraora's thunder. Also, they could show Stakataka and Blacephalon as owned by minor characters. Gekijouban Pocket Monsters: Necrozma and the Infinite Light: Zeraora!
The Meltan movie would take place on Kanto and would be about Team Rocket (inspired by Rainbow Rocket, but without the other villains) trying to capture Meltan. Gigantamax Melmetal, Gigantamax Charizard and Gigantamax Machamp (used by Giovanni, he could also use Gengar which he owned on Stadium or Kingler which was on his lab) would appear. Gekijouban Pocket Monsters: Hardest Metal Melmetal and the secret of Dynamax!

For some reason I've always gotten a Chinese vibe from Marshadow's design, so if we had gotten a regular movie dealing with the SuMo cast meeting Marshadow instead of that shitty 20th anniversary movie, I could imagine the setting being inspired by China.

Realistically it would have just been the Necrozma arc condensed down to two hours.

The Necrozma episodes were basically Sun and Moon's movie. 5 episodes, about 110 minutes, roughly movie length. The appearance of the Mother and Daughter in the final episode of it suggests that the producers were treating it as such. To be honest I would have preferred we have that as the movie instead of Mewtwo Strikes Back: Evolution with those 5 episodes going towards other less-budget intensive things so that come the Pokemon League there would have been enough money to make them not have to waste time repeating the interminable Bewear's robot butler footage 3 times across 2 episodes or the Double-Iron Bash animation spam and maybe even enough for a real animated special to give Shaymin a sendoff and/or show Mohn and not the crappy 1-hour special that's literally just PM001 preceded by a bunch of people hosting a talkshow that revealed no new information and was somehow even more of a waste of time than the aforementioned Bewear scenes.

Agreed. A movie would probably have been the best way to tackle Team Rainbow Rocket in anime form (and while we're at it, at least have cameos from some Team Rocket members we haven't seen in a while, like Butch and Cassidy, Attila and Hun, and Dr. Namba).

A movie where Ash meets the Ultra Recon Squad would be ideal, so they can properly flesh out Necrozma and show off its Z-Move

Exclude the classmates entirely, or use a movie to show an Alola closer to the games, where Lusamine's deranged, the Trial Captains exist, and Lillie is actually a character - go hog wild with the multiverse setup

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom