• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What would Ash's team be if you wrote Journeys?

If we are going by the journeys format of world traveling I think the Pokémon Ash should used are the ones that he has at Oaks lab. I say this because of the heavy lack of focus his current journeys team has and if they used his older teams they wouldn't need to put much focus on them because they already have a region of experience and development. I also think using his older Pokémon could make some bad decision a bit more palpable like the jump in ranks because who gonna doubt Charizard, Snorlax, Sceptile, Infernape and Krookodile from ripping apart trainers in lower ranks. It also could give redemption to Pokémon who are strong but got screwed because of circumstances like Torterra and Noivern. I also think they could evolve some of Ash mons like Boldore, Pignite, Buizel, Corphish and Bayleef. They also could use the smaller and simple pokemon like Oshawott and Gible on the adventure with Ash so it make it he doesn't only bring Pikachu and I say this because when Riolu evolved into a Lucario it started to show up less and less because I think the animator couldn't draw Lucario consistently.
I like the idea of bringing back old Pokemon, but it should be done in heavy moderation. The show needs to keep a balance of being friendly towards new viewers while still appealing to the older ones. If they just randomly bring back Corphish in one episode and in the next episode they bring Boldore instead, it would be very confusing for new viewers who have no context on these Pokemon, are not attached to them and have no reason to be attached to them. If, for example, they bring one or two of Ash's old pokes as permanent team members, then yeah, the New Viewers will get attached to them overtime. But if Ash randomly brings out a different Pokemon each episode, I'd imagine it would get very confusing for new viewers and they might lose interest.

I like the idea of bringing back old Pokemon, but it should be done in heavy moderation. The show needs to keep a balance of being friendly towards new viewers while still appealing to the older ones. If they just randomly bring back Corphish in one episode and in the next episode they bring Boldore instead, it would be very confusing for new viewers who have no context on these Pokemon, are not attached to them and have no reason to be attached to them. If, for example, they bring one or two of Ash's old pokes as permanent team members, then yeah, the New Viewers will get attached to them overtime. But if Ash randomly brings out a different Pokemon each episode, I'd imagine it would get very confusing for new viewers and they might lose interest.
I kind of went into this discussion with the idea that because Ash team in Journeys get so little screen time that it would've been better to at least use Pokémon that old fans know and newer fans can watch older episode to see the older mons development. Plus ash is in a world tournament so why not use Pokémon he caught from around the world.

Since some brought them.....

The Legendary: Ho-Oh, Lugia, Latios, Zekrom and Dakuma > Wuraosu (Rengeki)
The Mythical: Keldeo and Marshadow.

Either one of each category or two from the same. No more.

I would not remove any of the Ash Mons. I would, however, make sure they have more to do. Even if it just in group scenes like meals and scenarios like the eating contest they'd do more outside of battle.

I'd certainly consider a relocation to Oak's ranch and thus wider use of the reserves.

One mon I'd defininately have Ash get would be the Ralts line, as I like the idea of a Ralts and Riolu playing a dynamic of 'spunky tough kid and sensitive nice kid'. Sort of like a Naruto and Hinata dynamic.

I'd probably consider having Goh focus on the less-uber popular G1-7 mons and Ash with the bigger named ones. Not a hard and fast rule, but Goh would be meant to make you find X cool, while Ash will get to keep Y cool. G8 is a bit more flexible to that 'rule'.

(...) If they just randomly bring back Corphish in one episode and in the next episode they bring Boldore instead, it would be very confusing for new viewers who have no context on these Pokemon, are not attached to them and have no reason to be attached to them. (...) But if Ash randomly brings out a different Pokemon each episode, I'd imagine it would get very confusing for new viewers and they might lose interest.

I don't think it would be hard to work around. You start with an episode (or maybe even 2) to re-introduce the old Pokémon. Ash and Goh visit Oak's lab, Ash meets his old pokémon again and he tells Goh about his old adventures (inclusive flashbacks for the viewers). Also, for viewers who missed those episode(s) you could have Ash and/or Professor Cerise contact Professor Oak by the videophone for research discussions and some of Ash Pokémon can make appearances, like in the past.

And let say the focus is kept on Ash new team, but sometimes an older members helps out for 1 mission and/or 1 battle, I think the newer viewers/kids wouldn't mind. You don't have to underestimate kids. I'm sure they will be exited by the (for them) new Pokémon on the team. And to be honest, if you miss an episode, Goh can also call out a Pokémon a viewer never saw before. ;)

Like in the OS. Ash needs a 2nd water Pokémon: Krabby/Kingler (Indigo League and Whirl Cup). Ash needs a tactical Pokémon for the grass field: Muk. Ash needs more power against Clair: Snorlax and Charizard.

Ash has a rescue mission in the sewers: Muk (to bad Muk didn't do anything in the end, but I remember the moment he called Muk out very fondly).

Ash wants to compete in a Sumo competition: Snorlax. Ash wants to compete in a Tauros competition: Tauros.

This are all examples of Pokémon joining Ash's party for a short period for a specific task.

Of course, most children/viewers who watched the OS to the end knew about Kanto, the Orange Islands and Jotho. So a re-introduction wasn't needed. But Charizard got a re-introduction in BW. And at the start of the Battle Frontier the Pokémon at Oak's lab were re-introduced. And a lot came back to right in the Battle Frontier, also from outside Oak's lab. At the start of the Sinnoh League they also let viewers know Ash had other Pokémon and he used them in the league. So it's not unprecedented.

But it would be important the new team gets the most focus (and let be honest, for the moment this isn't the case).

These are the Pokemon I would have wanted Ash to have
Kanto- Arcanine, Gengar and Kangaskhan( the one Pikachu befriended when it was a Pichu)
Johto - Scizor, Espeon and Houndoom
Hoenn - Absol, Gardevoir and Blaziken
Sinnoh - Empoleon, Weavile and Lucario
Unova- Zoroark, Haxorus and Braviary
Kalos- Tyrantrum, Gogoat and Pyroar
Alola - Kommo-o, Zeraora and Mudsdale
Galar - Grimmsnarl, Sirfetch'd, Corviknight, Dragapult, Perserrker and Urshifu( Single Strike)

Haven't really kept up with the anime for years now, but while playing SWSH (and the DLCs) I pictured his team looking like this:
  • Pikachu
  • Scorbunny - Raboot - Cinderace
  • Rookidee - Corvisquire - Corviknight
  • Applin - Appletun :bulbaLove:
  • Kubfu - Urshifu (Rapid Strike Style)
  • Snom - Frosmoth :bulbaLove:
I could also weirdly see Dracovish in this team as well, replacing the Urshifu if IoA never happened.

Last edited:
I like the idea of bringing back old Pokemon, but it should be done in heavy moderation. The show needs to keep a balance of being friendly towards new viewers while still appealing to the older ones. If they just randomly bring back Corphish in one episode and in the next episode they bring Boldore instead, it would be very confusing for new viewers who have no context on these Pokemon, are not attached to them and have no reason to be attached to them.
Doesn't Gou kind of disprove that? He often uses reserves randomly that we haven't seen since their debut episode, and I think the kids haven't had any major panic attacks (yet). With a properly done Oak's lab episode, Ash should be able to use reserves fairly regularly, for minor battles (Team Rocket) or general utility.

Obviously the new guys should have a majority of the plot focus, but a fun "Who's Ash going to use today" approach could make episodes a lot more engaging, especially the fillers.

For a six pokemon team, I would want Ash's team like so:
  • Pikachu(Obvious reasons. I would have Pikachu rarely battle but basically be the mentor of the group. His skills come into question by both his teammates and other characters because of him rarely battling, but when it comes down to it, Pikachu shows his skills in important battles. There's another reason for why Pikachu doesn't battle as much, however-which is a recurring subplot-since he is later revealed to have gotten sick, so he needed to take a long time to recover. It's a subtle subplot as it causes problems between Ash and Pikachu themselves, though they eventually overcome this as the series goes on-Pikachu makes a full recovery near the end of the series.)
  • Inteleon(As rare as it is, a female. She's introduced as a Sobble who is unusually cold and calculating, a complete contrast to the friendly type of pokemon that hits it off with Ash. However, it is revealed that she does have another side to her, which Ash tries to uncover as time goes on. She eventually evolves, slowly opening up to Ash and her teammates, which leads to Ash finding out more about her backstory. Inteleon used to have a trainer, an elderly woman who found her when she was just an egg, but sadly, the woman had passed away due to old age just after Inteleon had gotten attached to her as a Sobble.)
  • Hatterene(Also female. Hatterene was found as a Hatenna by Ash in a town where she had regularly played mild pranks on the villagers-though they were always mild and never proven as true annoyances, so most people didn't mind. She was actually raised by a Raichu living in the town as well, which led her to humorously believe that Pikachu was related to her and referred to him as a big brother, though the latter didn't mind and regularly took care of Hatenna. Hatenna had wanted to go with Ash after he had cleared up an incident where the pranks had started to increase due to a group of boys playing pranks this time, making it seem as if Hatenna did so. Raichu reluctantly allowed for Hatenna to leave, though Ash had made the promise that they would regularly come back to visit.)
  • Centiskorch(Female as well. Very volatile and easily disagreeable, often picking fights with other pokemon. Ash found her after she was rampaging in a town due to accidentally gigantamaxing. She caused a lot of destruction, leading to many people and pokemon to hate her-though Ash came to her defense. He promised her that he would help her control her abilities(and her anger) no matter what, and when he helped her repair the damaged homes, she decided to come with him to learn how to properly control her gigantamaxing abilities.)
  • Thieval(Male. Ash first found Thival as a Nickit in the forest, where he was aggressively attacking any trainers that passed by. Ash later figured out that this was because Nickit was trying to protect his mother Thieval, who was very sick. After connecting the dots, Ash tries to gain Nickit's trust by helping the mother Thieval, eventually able to save the mother and take it to the Pokemon Center to heal. After Thieval was fully healed, it and Nickit stayed near the Poke center. It doesn't join Ash's team at first, but joins later a while after the incident with Hatenna-funnily enough, this town is where a lot of Ash's captures take place in Galar.)
  • Morgrem(Male. Raised from an egg and is rather shy and insecure. Though, when he evolves, he becomes more outgoing and social. His egg was given to Ash by Officer Jenny, who had found the egg left behind in the abandoned hideout of a recurring Pokemon Hunter throughout the series.)
I'll elaborate more later, but this is what I've got in mind if I wrote Journeys. Like most others, I would want this to have been a Sword and Shield anime rather than the direction it is currently going, and I actually have some ideas in mind for what it would look like.

His current team is alright, and I really like them.

New Pokemon I would like him catch and use to diversify his team

Tyranitar-Since it would hearken back to when Ash took care of a Larvitar during his time in Johto

Gardevoir or Hatterene-Ash would have a Psychic/Fairy type that'd want to battle. Leaning more towards Hatterene for more decent Galar rep

Volcarona-It's powerful, and it's been a while since Ash caught a good Bug type Pokemon

Eiscue-Derpy Ice type that's a lot stronger than it looks, plus more much needed Galar rep

A grass or ground type

Legendaries for special occasions or emergencies such as if he has to fight another trainer like Tobias/Takuto, and If they can be captured and used like any regular Pokemon, I think Ash has worked hard enough to have a few

Solgaleo-In case it ever wants to come back and officially join Ash's team (Also because I think there's hints of Goh getting Lunala)

Zacian-Cause it chose Ash as the Sword Hero

Mewtwo-If anyone deserves to catch Mewtwo, it's the guy who got turned to stone to stop a fight between Mewtwo and Mew

Last edited:
I actually think this set of Pokémon is as good as it's going to get when it comes to team variety and overall coolness/popularity, and like it a lot. The main issue is screentime and development. But if I could actually give him something else....it'd be Falinks tbh. :bulbaLove: I just can't let go of the idea of Ash having it and think it would be really fitting.

Pikachu+rotation of all of his reserves in the other 5 slots.

This would also be cool, to represent the fact that Journeys wants to give focus to more than just one region at a time! Having team representation for Pokémon from all over would have been perfect for this.

I added some silly fanfiction about my choices... So there's that. Read it if you want, I guess. Also bumping this

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom