• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What Would Be on an Anime-Specific Pokemon Iceberg?

Powerstars

Reaction score
You guys have seen those Iceberg memes, right? The ones that go like this:

iowh2vrujna51.png

Basically, starting with fairly well known bits of trivia about a work before getting darker and more obscure over time, even delving into odd fan theories. I'm interested in a lot of anime-specific trivia and a lot of the Pokemon icebergs seem to prioritize the games. This got me thinking about what an iceberg specific to the anime would look like. I came up with quite a bit of stuff for the higher levels, but when it came to the truly dark and obscure, I was at a bit of a loss. I figured I'd post what I came up with so far here and it could make for a fun discussion.

1st level (super well known by fans):
-Electric Soldier Porygon
-Kiss with Serena
-The Legend of Dratini
-Beauty and the Beach
-Voice actor change
-Riceballs

2nd level (slightly less known):
-Sammy is Professor Oak
-The Birth of Mewtwo
-The Misty Lure
-The Kanzenban
-Pokemon Live
-Jynx censorship
-The mother/daughter in the movies
-"Aim for the horn"

3rd level (obscure but still real):
-Pokemon De English
-Pokemon 3D and 4D
-Pokemon Heroes blue tint
-Team Rocket vs. Team Plasma
-Barboach vs. Whiscash
-The Ash coma theory
-Lenora censorship

4th level (incredibly oddly specific and niche):
-"Porygon did nothing wrong"
-Hiroki
-Misty's/Jessie's mallet
-The T. Rex version of the third movie
-The original First Movie teaser/adult Misty
-Pikachu & Pichu is banned in Japan

5th level (obscure fan theories):
-Giovanni is Ash's father
-Alternate continuity Ash is a girl

1st Level
"Leo Burnett and 4Kids are the Devil"
The Ice Cave
Satoshi and Nagetukesaru! Touchdown of Friendship!!

2nd Level
Lt. Surge cursing in EP14

3rd Level
Pre-Pokemon Shock versions of EP1 - EP37
The ANA shorts
Pokemon Radio Show! Team Rocket's Secret Empire
James's VA changing mid-episode
Cursing Pokemon

4th Level
Celebi Movie Tokubetsuhen
This frame that was hidden in EP18

5th Level
Takeshi's Paradise was removed after 6 episodes because parents complained

Last edited:
I don’t know if you’d count this as technically anime specific, but it’s definitely an iceberg...

Remember Toshihiro Ono, the guy who wrote the anime-based manga The Electric Tale of Pikachu? The one where Musashi and Kojiro are married and having a baby in the epilogue? I wonder how many people know that this guy wrote a supplementary hentai doujinshi showing how that baby was conceived, which abhorrently enough also included
Kasumi.

Maybe the Takeshi Shudo light novels? I could see them somewhere in the iceberg but I have no idea on what level. This isn't one of my preferred memes.

Some of Takeshi Shudo's intended endings or ideas like Pikachu turning against Ash to lead an anti human revolt would fit somewhere.
I don’t know if you’d count this as technically anime specific, but it’s definitely an iceberg...

Remember Toshihiro Ono, the guy who wrote the anime-based manga The Electric Tale of Pikachu? The one where Musashi and Kojiro are married and having a baby in the epilogue? I wonder how many people know that this guy wrote a supplementary hentai doujinshi showing how that baby was conceived, which abhorrently enough also included
Kasumi.
I'd read before that he did a lot of hentai before Electric Tale, and even that he'd done one with the rockets.

The spoilered part I was not familiar with and am now rather horrified. Definitely near the bottom of the iceberg.

1st Level
Ash Greninja
2nd Level
Ash's Infernape Charizard Krookodile Pikachu and Sceptile
3rd Level
Ash's Bulbasaur and Squirtle
4th Level
Ash's Donphan
5th Level
Ash's Unpleasant and Paplitoad

It was taken off the air after six episodes, but because it was meant to be a limited-time ED. That's according to Yuji Ueda in a 2017 interview. Seems like prior to that interview it was theorized amongst some people in the Japanese fandom that it was removed due to complaints, though.

AU1fC8T.png

I tried to keep it somewhat even, but the Rocket hentai bit was an essential inclusion. I never knew about it, good God xD I took a lot of the suggestions into account and added quite a few of my own.

Still might update it if there's other stuff but I quite like this.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom