• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What would you change in the design of future generation starters?What animals would you choose?

If I somehow wound up designing Starters. They would probably be...

A Water/Flying-type Dolphin pokemon with an Indigo/Blue/Cyan color scheme
A Fire/Fairy Pokemon Rabbit pokemon with a Purple/Red/Orange color scheme
and a feminine Grass/Psychic pokemon with a Green/Chartreuse/Yellow color scheme

The subtype theme is types that are strong against Fighting-types. Other themes include a Rainbow Color palette, rounding out the feminine starter lines (which started Fennekin and Popilio) and getting an unambiguous dolphin pokemon

I've just made up a new Starter Trio!

Fire Horse-Pegasus Line
Valaise (Fire)> Aiserolt (Fire) > Valaisus (Fire/Fairy with Levitate)

Water Flamingo-Heron- Swan Line
Minfall (Water/Flying) > Vapon (Water/Flying) > Vapoissant (Water/Fighting)
(Vapoissant attacks with its beak, which has grown into a sword-like structure.

Grass Rabbit Line
Ivare (Grass)> Budroot (Grass/Steel) > Silvablitz (Grass/Steel)

I think there will be no feminine, or masculine starter here. They'll be neutral. I plan Valaisus to be a special attacker, Vapoissant to be the mixed attacker, and Silvablitz to be the physical attacker.
Valaisus, and Vapoissant will tie for the fastest speed, and Silvablitz would be a bit slow, but it will be compensated with above average defences.

The Subtypes form a reverse effectiveness pattern (Fairy is strong to Fighting which is strong to Steel, and so on)

for me a fire/ghost , ghost rider , centaur (could have levitate or priority fire gale wings Hell Ride, when under 50% hp and fire draining move, the horse skull with flames normally like with a horse, and a ghost humanoid upper body with hands on thorse made of smoke or shadow)

Or ability to heal up when the oponent is burned? Hell Rider?

fire/poison more black and violet snake/cobra (fast , 106 speed, should learn bounce, priority poison gale wings version)
fire/electric rabbit (fast+magnet rise, could see a ninja motive)
fire/fairy sheep/greek Pan creature with music motive and Soundproof
fire/steel ox/minotaur (Roman Centurion and Gladiator, maybe a ability that would reduce its ground weakness)

grass/steel rhino (hp, ability ,defences+averege speed and great attack)
grass/electric grizzly bear (maybe this one viking with axe glows??? hunts for fish)
grass/rock puma

grass/ghost??? elephant, special oriented
grass/steel could become mega grass/fighting wolf fast
(last two are always a problem maybe rock, fighting, ghost and steel, or fairy??? depending on stats or ability)

water/electric jaguar (fast), black , yellow with a little blue dots and tail.
or elephant

water/poison shrew(fast)
(shrews have poison in fangs, maybe this not needs to be a sterter afterall) or
strong hippopotamus (with Gale wings version of priority poison moves or a priority poison signature move and with Corrosion, this would fit really)
violet , black , white and blue colors

water/bug water bell spider (fast )mixed with snail(exoskeletons aree very protective) Pirate motive with the pirate symbol and a canon on front of its back.

water/ghost elephant (yes this needs to happen) or a bear or hippo
white, blue and with great tusks. (Boom Burst)
or jaguar

water/fighting hippopotamus or
bear(viking with steel worker and a great axe or axe glows)
blue, white , black or or brown with steel viking helmet
large defense, medium sp. defence and hp, good attack.
Speed greater then venusaurs.

2 faster water starters need to hapen

a electric typemove supper effective to steel types,
a water web move that causes 50% chance of flinching

for the ones with grass/electric or water/electric:
a magnetic force ability typing to cause a oponents steel or/and electric type to loose a turn (flinch) when first encountered, in first turn of battle with it.
a electromagnetism ability that would make the user immune to steel and electric type moves.

(this abilities could also be given to other electric or steel types)

Last edited:
That would be too similar to the dewpider line. They have bubbles as their 'exoskeleton'.

Yes I remeber it.
I dont want bubble i want a canon and more tarantulla apperence with pirate symbol on its back.
With other ability then that water bubble of dewpider line, I dont want to steal its place.
Maybe something new ability for bug types? or a totally new ability? or Exoskeleton or Filter or Fur Coat against it's electric, rock and flying weaknees?

We had so many snails already even water ones, but snails are to slow.
A spider would fit... Some spiders hunt for birds. A water type with electric web, yummy.
(a electric/steel snail would need to be fast)

(ps. Game Freak and the Pokemon Creators and company are allowed to use all my ideas free and how they want, if they want to pay or make me good for them its there decision and my luck)

Last edited:
I was always intrigued by the idea of a ghost/dark/psychic trio as starters.

Moon did do something I like in litten,I always thought they should do 3 starters based off animals kids actually get in real life like a cat/dog/hamster like trio

The poor psychic type in your trio... being beaten up by its dark and ghost counterparts...
Pretty much the story of my alolan Raichu in moon....Yeah it might me better to switch out psychic for fairy

but a water/poison, ghost/fire and grass/rock could work well or not?

i like the idea of a water/bug starter.

particularly i'd love an ice starter for a snowy region: grass/ice, fire/ground and water/rock.
a grass/ice moose or other artic animal like a bear
fire/ground goat or ox, following the zodiac theory
and water/rock beaver

grass/dark or grass/rock cheetah or lion would be really neat, as well.

i like the idea of a water/bug starter.

particularly i'd love an ice starter for a snowy region: grass/ice, fire/ground and water/rock.
a grass/ice moose or other artic animal like a bear
fire/ground goat or ox, following the zodiac theory
and water/rock beaver

grass/dark or grass/rock cheetah or lion would be really neat, as well.

Lion was rather done with Incineroar, but we got Squirtle and Turtwig...

Also, I would really like the idea of a Fire/Ice starter, which could be a snow leopard or a mountain goat.

Lion was rather done with Incineroar, but we got Squirtle and Turtwig...

Also, I would really like the idea of a Fire/Ice starter, which could be a snow leopard or a mountain goat.

No that was Tiger. Though the Pyroar line is also Fire-type.

Fire/Ice starter would be interesting, but If paradoxal type combinations would be a theme, then what else can be done for Water and grass? Water/Thunder? Grass/Steel?

Fire/Ice starter would be interesting, but If paradoxal type combinations would be a theme, then what else can be done for Water and grass? Water/Thunder? Grass/Steel?

I have an idea for Grass/Steel. It could be a Rabbit/Kangaroo? The line I thought up was the one which I've posted before.
I think Grass/Steel physical Grass starter is so ething which I want to see. A fast one in that, too.

I haven't thought up anything for Fire/Ice, though. A mountain goat (which related to the zodiac) may fit. Snow Leopard may not become a reality due to the zodiac.
I feel that Litten was a missed opportunity for a Fire/Ice white tiger.

I think a lion starter with its mane made by grass would be pretty cool.
Pyroar and Luxray existing is a thing, but most starters are based on animals that already was used for pokemon.

A fire/ice starter would be awesome. If they scrap the trio that has advantage against each other. It happened in DP and SM, right? What animal could be? A bunny? A goat?

I like to see an actual pokemon league instead of or before an elite four.

Either computer generated characters you have to beat tournament style or somekind of online added feature

a lion is not a Tiger. More cats would be good. 3 cats, like we got 3 birds.

grass/ice would need good speed and ability for its weakness. Im not against it becuse of getting rid of ice weakness but it would need Aurora Veil and something better then snow warning, maybe a grass/ice bear with Sturdy?, and ice would need something like Dark got with Prankster.

Maybe immunity to some entry hazards like those spike based moves?
or make ice types get more draining, switching moves?

now I really want a Hippo water/poison with Corrosion, Bannefull Bunker and stats like this:

hp 84
attack 100
def 116
sp. attack 77
sp. def 100
speed 53

then we could get a grass/steel, grass/rock or grass/electric and a fire/electric or fire/steel pokemon in the same generation.

Last edited:
Thanks to DeviantArt, I have noticed a trend with each starter type.

Grass types end up being based on an extinct animal.
Fire, as we all know, is the Chinese zodiac.
Water is a bit tricky, but they are based partially on weapons, at least in their highest evolved forms.

Thanks to DeviantArt, I have noticed a trend with each starter type.

Grass types end up being based on an extinct animal.
Fire, as we all know, is the Chinese zodiac.
Water is a bit tricky, but they are based partially on weapons, at least in their highest evolved forms.

Primarina, Sepctile, Serpierior, maybe Torterra, Chesnaught and Empoleon might need some explaining then

I think a Fire/Fairy starter wold be cool. It could look mostly like a dove, but some of it's feathers could be a vibrant orangish/red, and could have a orangish/red crest on it's head.

This is something that I've seen some fanart of, and I've wanted it for a very long time. A water/psychic starter that's an elephant. The only elephant we have is a Phanpy, so I think we're do for another elephant. Honestly if this ever happened, I'd die of happiness.

I'm at a loss for what I want for a grass starter, but I've always thought a Squirrel starter Pokemon would be cute. I think a grass/dark squirrel with a grayish color and some green markings would be pretty cute.

I'd pick Dragons for all three:

Grass based on the Azure Dragon, and the element of Wood.
Fire based on the European dragons & wyverns.
Water based on traditional Asian dragons, and has a rain theme.

They woud have a backstory which would be reference to the Sinnoh Lake Trio - the starters are originally said to be hatched from the same egg, hence why their first forms look somewhat similar to one another.

Please note: The thread is from 7 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom