• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What would you like to see in a Pokemon Fighting game?

Saiga

Reaction score
If Nintendo were to make an official Pokemon fighting game, what features and Pokemon would you like to see included? Would you want the gameplay to be that of a more traditional fighter, or in a similar to vein to the SSB (Super Smash Brothers) series? Would you want a selection of Pokemon from each Gen in one game, or a series of games focusing on one Gen each? And what Pokemon specifically do you think would work well in a fighting game, what Pokemon would you want to see in one? What other gameplay elements would you like?

Personally, I'd like a game with some more traditional fighting aspects (1 vs 1, although possibly with assist Pokemon) which means bipedal Pokemon would probably be a must to be part of the fighting roster. I'd like to have a select few Pokemon from each Generation, and I think they could have a set of four moves from the game as their special attacks. I'd like to see some "less common" Pokemon that could still work well, like Sandslash or similar. I think the bipedal starter Pokemon would be a shoo-in.

What would your wishes for a Pokemon Fighter?

When I first saw pictures of Pokemon Stadium, I thought that it was a fighting game. I was disappointed that it wasn't. So, I would like a Pokemon fighter to be like Stadium, where you can link over your own Pokemon from the DS, and fight similar levels, but with action battles of course, not turn-based ones. The attacks a Pokemon know would be done with button combinations. They would have some simple attacks like punch or kick, then combinations for their four known techniques. What these combinations are should be programmed for each technique, so for instance the attack Thunder would always have the same combination, regardless Pokemon. I think that is simplest to do.

Basically, all we need is PokéPark style battles with a(n even) greater selection of Pokémon.

It could go either way: a roster filled with only Pokemon from the current gen (and Pikachu) or a roster filled with Pokemon from different gens mixed in.

It could go either way: a roster filled with only Pokemon from the current gen (and Pikachu) or a roster filled with Pokemon from different gens mixed in.

Since it's hypothetical, it could go any way. I think the question is what you would want, not what they're likely to do.

I would love a fighting filled with Pokemon like this:

015MS.png
Beedrill: It's not really bipedal but its stabbing abilities make it work well I would think.
045MS.png
Vileplume: I think Vileplume would have an interesting slow-paced play style, with a bit of long range because of the large flower and a low center of gravity.
076MS.png
Golem: Easy choice, it looks like a fighter too but not TOO cliche like Machop line.
184MS.png
Azumarill: Can bounce on is tail and fight with arms as well as ears.
201MS.png
Unown: Crowd playstyle. You play as a cloud of Unown, not just one, and your attacks are fairly random because of Hidden Power.
257MS.png
Blaziken: Obvious.
295MS.png
Exploud: Could have some interesting long-range attacks based on sound.
325MS.png
Spoink: Because every game needs a cutesy character.
327MS.png
Spinda: Seems like it would have a very interesting and random playstyle that's hard to control.
402MS.png
Kricketune: A very fast fighter but not incredibly strong. Relies on hitting and then getting out of there before the opponent can hit back.
534MS.png
Conkeldurr: Similar to Machamp, but could have an interesting twist with its concrete cylinders.
563MS.png
Cofagrigus: Just imagine how fun it would be to play as.
598MS.png
Ferrothorn: Vines would make for an interesting playstyle imo.

Then the final boss that can be unlocked to play as would be Deoxys, because a game without a legendary would be saaaaad. ):

Since it's hypothetical, it could go any way. I think the question is what you would want, not what they're likely to do.

It's best to think in the perspective of the designers rather than the fans.

I would love a fighting filled with Pokemon like this:

015MS.png
Beedrill: It's not really bipedal but its stabbing abilities make it work well I would think.
045MS.png
Vileplume: I think Vileplume would have an interesting slow-paced play style, with a bit of long range because of the large flower and a low center of gravity.
076MS.png
Golem: Easy choice, it looks like a fighter too but not TOO cliche like Machop line.
184MS.png
Azumarill: Can bounce on is tail and fight with arms as well as ears.
201MS.png
Unown: Crowd playstyle. You play as a cloud of Unown, not just one, and your attacks are fairly random because of Hidden Power.
257MS.png
Blaziken: Obvious.
295MS.png
Exploud: Could have some interesting long-range attacks based on sound.
325MS.png
Spoink: Because every game needs a cutesy character.
327MS.png
Spinda: Seems like it would have a very interesting and random playstyle that's hard to control.
402MS.png
Kricketune: A very fast fighter but not incredibly strong. Relies on hitting and then getting out of there before the opponent can hit back.
534MS.png
Conkeldurr: Similar to Machamp, but could have an interesting twist with its concrete cylinders.
563MS.png
Cofagrigus: Just imagine how fun it would be to play as.
598MS.png
Ferrothorn: Vines would make for an interesting playstyle imo.

Then the final boss that can be unlocked to play as would be Deoxys, because a game without a legendary would be saaaaad. ):

I don't see Pikachu on the list, but then again, his tier position in Smogon proves that it doesn't deserve the mascot title (Larvitar should replace him instead).

It's best to think in the perspective of the designers rather than the fans.

Why? That's a rather subjective statement presented in a very objective manner. I personally believe that there's no point in thinking about what the hypothetical designers would do; They don't exist and don't have an opinion, while I do. Isn't it boring to basically say "Because I don't know I refuse to think about it"? It's much more fun to consider what you'd personally want.

I don't see Pikachu on the list, but then again, his tier position in Smogon proves that it doesn't deserve the mascot title (Larvitar should replace him instead).

Well in this kind of game, at least in my vision, tiers wouldn't matter as it's a real, honest to goodness fighting game. I guess Pikachu would have to be in there somewhere, but I don't think it would be particularly fun to play.

Why? That's a rather subjective statement presented in a very objective manner. I personally believe that there's no point in thinking about what the hypothetical designers would do; They don't exist and don't have an opinion, while I do. Isn't it boring to basically say "Because I don't know I refuse to think about it"? It's much more fun to consider what you'd personally want.

I've been doing this all the time, especially when it comes to SSB, because I've been studying/researching on how the roster would be like based on comparing rosters from other fighting games and who will make it based on their structures. It's why I can't stand the character suggestions people made for future SSB titles because they're seriously about them, without even thinking first about the rules Sakurai has made during Brawl's early development, and will cause a negative backlash simply because their characters didn't make the cut. So it's best to think in a game designer's perspective on how a Pokemon fighting game would work.

I've been doing this all the time, especially when it comes to SSB, because I've been studying/researching on how the roster would be like based on comparing rosters from other fighting games and who will make it based on their structures. It's why I can't stand the character suggestions people made for future SSB titles because they're seriously about them, without even thinking first about the rules Sakurai has made during Brawl's early development, and will cause a negative backlash simply because their characters didn't make the cut. So it's best to think in a game designer's perspective on how a Pokemon fighting game would work.

The point I was making was that your statement was...well, unnecessary if you really didn't want to think any further into it. "Either they'll choose them all from one generation, or they'll choose them from more than one generation." If all you're going to say is what hypothetical developers might do, with no solid knowledge on even what it would be like since it doesn't exist yet, there kind of seems no point in saying anything. Might as well not cover your hypothetical bases and say what you want, or what you think they would do. Either way is better than what you said, lol.

Maybe I should have just posted "It could go either way: a fighting game with Blaziken, or a fighting game without Blaziken." I would have said as much as you said in your first post.

I'd love a Pokemon Fighting game... but don't you think some would be rather unfair? They won't be able to include pokemons from all generations. Since pre-evolved pokemons are weak, they'd probably use only fully-evolved pokemon or pokemons with no evolutions - but nobody is going to choose Stunfisk if it were a playable option. Besides, you'd be screwed if you picked Emboar but the opponent is Chandelure with Flash Fire.

And if they keep the stats from previous gens, Alakazam would be probably over-used. Maybe Rampardos, too. Seriously, if we keep his attack stat as it is, then the opponent is going to go down in a few hits if it can't evade.

Why can't they include all Pokemon? Doesn't Battle Revolution contain them all (except 5th gen, but they're sure to come next)? The only thing is to somehow replace the turn-based battles with real-time ones and replace the attack menus with button combinations. This is what I first thought when I heard about Pokemon Stadium. I would play that game so much more if it had real-time battles.

i would like to see every pokemon included in the game and with controls similar to super smash bros (a=attack, down+a=another attack ect.) and real time battles. if all of these things combined the game would be amazing. easy enough for kids to pick it up and still challenging for the older types to build combos with team mates in multiplayer battles. that and Gamefreak should leave nintendo for this and give in to xbox 360 and playstation. their online support, graphics and user's are much larger/better then the current following and ability's of the Wii. imagine being able to turn on your xbox and playing online. it just makes more sense this way

I prefer the SSB-style controls.

Fully evolved forms of the starters (all generations) would probably be a good choice. Of course, the version mascots of each generation would be an obvious choice too.

It's truly unfeasible to have every Pokemon in the game. In fact, I'd say it's impossible. For that, the gameplay would have to be very simple and all the characters would play exactly the same, making it a terrible fighting game. Even a 100 character roster would probably be too much to ask for. Realistically, I'd say ~50 at most.

Well I'd be happy if it had all the mechanics of pokemon in a full fighting game.
Every Pokemon with all of there typical stats in play.
Speed will instead be based around how fast the pokemon will just move.
Abilities will be the same as in the game.
Experience will be gained by how long the pokemon fights rather then at the end of a battle.
This way a pokemon may evolve or learn a move a new move when battling.
Personally I'd also rather see this played out as a regular pokemon game too.
Basically it'd have gym leaders, trainers and a champion, limit of six pokemon per team and PC box system.

This will probably never happen but I can dream can't I?

Problems will be if attacks are used with button combinations, because can there be combinations for all attacks? Can a Pokemon fighting game really include all techniques the Pokemon learn? Perhaps techniques such as stat modifers, that are not damaging attacks, will still be menu based.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom