• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What would you like to see in future games.

I'd like to see a rival that isn't so friendly, and actually cheats in battle. I'd quite like it if the rival proposed certain restrictions to battles, such as no healing items or only three Pokemon, and then breaks the rules. Maybe he has a super potion hidden, or perhaps he decides to throw out an extra Pokemon now and then.

The assholeishness could be explained by having an older sibling as part of the evil gang, and the rival was brought up battling with an unsportsmanlike attitude. Throughout the game he learns that cheating gets him nowhere, and that he should trust his Pokemon and his skills as a battler without having to resort to cheating. Before fighting the E4 he finally offers you a proper battle, win or lose, he just wants to be friends. So basically he goes from Silver/Blue to Brendan/May.

Possible ways he'd cheat:
Proposing limited battles, i.e no healing, and then when he sends out his last Pokemon, he'll revive his starter.
2v1 Pokemon battle.
Blocking your items, whilst he's happy to use his own potions.
Somehow have two Mega Evolutions during one battle.

More than anything I'd like a bit of a return to realism. I get the sense that with each passing generation, the Pokemon and plots are becoming more and more alien/fantasy-oriented. For me, Pokemon's charm was initially in how it was a fun analogue for real life; common animals had natural-looking Pokemon counterparts, cities and towns functioned sort of the same way. The entire experience felt organic, more so than it does now.

Besides that, I'd appreciate better characters. If the Pokemon games are going to continue to be devoid of real plot (Gen V wasn't, and I really liked that about that gen), the focus should then be on the characters. Zinnia and AZ are good starts, but too many characters are still one-dimensional and after all of this time it's gotten boring.

Zinnia and AZ are good starts, but too many characters are still one-dimensional and after all of this time it's gotten boring.
AZ was one-dimensional, albeit in a unique way. He just felt sorry for himself - before and after he activated the Ultimate Weapon. He never did anything to redeem himself for that atrocity, but for some reason Game Freak wanted us to sympathize with him.

Zinnia and AZ are good starts, but too many characters are still one-dimensional and after all of this time it's gotten boring.
AZ was one-dimensional, albeit in a unique way. He just felt sorry for himself - before and after he activated the Ultimate Weapon. He never did anything to redeem himself for that atrocity, but for some reason Game Freak wanted us to sympathize with him.
That's true. I was more so referring to how he had a history and there seems to be more dimensions to him as a result of his enigmatic nature. He's not like basically every Gym Leader, who up until recent games existed as living, breathing embodiments of the types they specialized in.

That's true. I was more so referring to how he had a history and there seems to be more dimensions to him as a result of his enigmatic nature. He's not like basically every Gym Leader, who up until recent games existed as living, breathing embodiments of the types they specialized in.
I get what you mean. I'm just worried that Game Freak think that an enigmatic character is interesting even without proper characterization and growth. I dislike how N was handled in B2W2, too.

First and foremost, I've been feeling really impatient about what we're supposed to be getting next. Next Gen 6 installment or Gen 7? If we get a new Gen 6 installment that involves X/Y, for the love of Garchomp PLEASE fix the plot. 3rd version, sequel, I don't care how you do it Game Freak... just git 'r done. If we get Gen 7, please learn from your mistakes in X/Y and steer yourself more towards Gen V territory instead of going backwards.

Also, I would hate for them to go back to having generic, flat characters. If that isn't trolling to the max, I don't know what is. They started good with Gen IV, and have gotten progressively better all the way into ORAS.

Any future remakes to have all the third version stuff from third game of the originals. Have at least 100 new pokemon in each generation instead on 72. Have Gym leader matches in games to help train your pokemon. Bring back the Battle Frontier, although I have never won a single silver/gold thing from them.

If we get Gen 7, please learn from your mistakes in X/Y and steer yourself more towards Gen V territory instead of going backwards.

That's a funny way of saying 4th gen.

I mean to say that in Gen V, Game Freak started taking the plot Up To Eleven. But then all of a sudden they started going backwards with X/Y. It's like... what the hell? You're going to get us all hyped that "oh finally, the plots are getting better in these games!" with one Generation, and then with the next Generation you're going back to dumbing things down?

If we get Gen 7, please learn from your mistakes in X/Y and steer yourself more towards Gen V territory instead of going backwards.

That's a funny way of saying 4th gen.

I mean to say that in Gen V, Game Freak started taking the plot Up To Eleven. But then all of a sudden they started going backwards with X/Y. It's like... what the hell? You're going to get us all hyped that "oh finally, the plots are getting better in these games!" with one Generation, and then with the next Generation you're going back to dumbing things down?

I'm thinking more in terms of region design, content, and difficulty. Of course they should keep the plot improvements from 5th gen, but overall, 4th gen is a better standard for what Pokemon games should be like than 5th gen.

Appearance variations for Pokémon; in size, colour, markings etc. Beyond what we currently have with Spinda and Pumpkaboo. Perhaps even extending to minor proportional differences.

Make them genetic so you can breed for them, maybe with certain colours etc only available by breeding. Maybe certain colours are preferred in contests so you receive more points for them. The rarest/hardest to breed combination would be the 'shiny' variation.

Say you received a Bulbasaur from Professor Oak. They come in a few shades in the blue/green spectrum, and a bunch of different spot pattern variations. But whenever it evolves into Ivysaur, the bulb opens and it may be any one of many different colours. (Pink, red, orange, yellow, blue, black, white, purple etc.) Then when the flower fully opens up there will be a range of patterns for it too.

More than anything it would give individual Pokémon more 'personality'. It's not likely to ever be implemented though :(

You should be able to go to 3 or so different gyms at once that base their level on your team. Walking Pokémon that when talked to open up sort-of Pokémon Amie.

Soaring on any Pokémon, perhaps a "fast fly" option in the settings...

HM 05 earlier in the game.

Longer post game. Rather than a long overall game, I like to have a break in between.
Better Pokemon designs- quality over quantity.

I'd like to see them to stop cutting corners on content, and holding stuff back so you have to buy another game the very next year...Haha...

No, but seriously. I think Game Freak really needs to live up to this "Complete Experience" idea that Masuda, or whomever it was spoke about in regards to their opposition to game updates/DLC. Because right now its very questionable. Particularly after ORAS.

Last edited:
I know I'm probably going to sound annoying for saying this for over a thousand times, but I cannot stress this enough: AUTO SORT

They added the brilliant idea of having Lanette put 'Organize Boxes' at the top for us. It saves time, even if it's just a few seconds, since all I need to do is just mash A and use the feature without having to manually pick the option. It means they know that players want to use the PC efficiently when playing games. And if they care enough, they should, they MUST add an auto sort feature for the 700+ pokemons. Besides, with Bank, people are going to have more than just 1000 pokemon, so at the very least adding a feature which sorts pokemon according by their National Dex number will be a huge, HUGE help.

One thing I really liked about Pokemon GSC and XY were the realism in the regions. A number of people mentioned a post-game region as a must-have, and I think the addition of Kanto in GSC was indeed brilliant, but for a different reason. Why? Because it's an acknowledgement that Kanto and Johto form part of Japan. Note also that Osaka, Tokyo, and everything in between is considered to be the Pacific Belt (much longer and more urbanised than, say, Boston-NYC-Philadelphia-DC), so in that aspect too it really make sense to consider Kanto-Johto as a bigger region. Plus, the legendaries (esp Ho-Oh) are inspired from Japanese folklore. Not to mention that when I navigated around Ecruteak City, it really was Kyoto in the Pokemon world.

Similarly for Kalos, Lumiose City really felt like Paris, and Parfum Palace really felt like Versailles. The majority of the scenery and architecture are something that I've seen, read, and heard about in regards to France. We have tourists that are actually Japanese (they even specifically bring in Gen 1-4 Pokemon), and one even speaks the language to Looker. GF even acknowledged that there are actually people from the former French colonies that do reside in France - the references being Shauna and some of the other trainers. It went as far as it reasonably could in actually establishing realism in an overseas region. It was essentially a revisit to the realism that made Johto its special day.

Now, what I do not want to see is a geographical mess-up like Hoenn (and ORAS utterly failed in this regard) and I've written that as my latest blog entry. Link below:
http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/blogs/72744/whats-unrealistic-world-building-hoenn-68426/

I would take a realistic region any day.

Last edited:
You know what else we need?

Bidoofs. Oodles and oodles of Bidoofs.
As long as a Poke Radar does not exist in this game, I'm all for it. If it does, I'll be forced to decline. <insert rant about broken Radar chains in Pearl here>

For me, some variety among the Friend Safaris would be great. Out of all my Safaris on X, I only have two Dark type Safaris and only one of them has Pawniard. I don't have a Fairy area with Kirlia, either. And it's not from lack of friends; I have something like twenty plus zones I could hunt but a lot of them are repeats with the exact same critters, not including Golurk. (I have two Safaris where I can find him. I wanted more.)

So yeah, if the Friend Safari comes back, I'd like some diversity in the choices we get.

- a poison/psychic witch,
- a tribal hunter pokemon that would hunt for other pokemon,
- a voodo based pokemon,
- a pokemon regaining hp when hazards are on the field,
- pokemon immune to all moves in a categorie (physicall ; special)(special: dragon/ghost ; ground/flying, dark/psychic)(physicall: fairy/ghost;grass/water; electric/poison)
- pokemon that use more turn changes (time)(a clock steel/psychic)
- more new type combos and old type combos in new form (dual typed pokemon)
- starters with dual type moves
- a ghost type version of stealth rock, a hazard that would cause every pokemon of the oponent thats send on the field to flinch in the first turn it's on the battlefield.
- more special bug type moves (based on slime and with slime in their name)
-a actual vampire(weak to fairy, sunny day and solar beam), werewolf(weak to steel 4x), mummy, frankenstein monster, grim reaper like in the movies.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom