• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What would you like to see in future games.

-Full open world where you can go anywhere on the map and complete gyms in any order. To facilitate this, the trainer levels would scale based on how many gym badges you have.
-Following/Riding Pokemon is retained from LGPE and whichever Pokemon follows you can use their field move. Field moves can affect just about anything in the environment like BotW. You can cut down any tree, move or smash any boulder, climb any rock wall, etc. Here is a full list of field moves I would implement:

• -Push: Can push boulders around like Strength in previous games.
  • -Break: Can smash boulders and fragile surfaces (such as cracked rock walls or ice walls) like Rock Smash in previous games.
  • -Cut: Can cut down trees. Cut trees can turn into logs that can be pushed around using Strength to use as bridges, or can be Cut a second time to be destroyed completely.
  • -Fly: Can soar above the map, allowing you to reach high ledges and explore the clouds to find Pokemon. Can only land in certain areas, such as cities, landmarks, clearings, and high places (this is to prevent it from making the exploration and puzzle solving too easy).
  • -Swim: Can travel on any water surface. Works exactly the same as Surf in every other game.
  • -Jet: Can swim against faster currents on water surfaces. This includes waterfalls, rapids, and currents such as the ones seen in Seafloor Cavern and Unova Rt. 17.
  • -Dive: Can swim underwater. Works like underwater swimming in most adventure games, the underwater sections are a continuous extension of the above water sections.
  • -Climb: Can climb any rocky surface. Some surfaces, such as smooth metal surfaces with no grips, cannot be climbed.
  • -Jump: Can jump up small ledges and across gaps.

If you do not have a Pokemon that has one of these field moves, you can choose to rent a Pokemon that does. These Pokemon do not battle with you and don't take up a slot in your team.

May I add that it would be nice to have the following returned as well?
  • Sweet Scent: either works as it always has OR attracts wild pokemon in the overworld. The return of horde battles through this mechanic would be nice too
  • Dig: Instantly escape dungeons
  • Teleport: have it work like the Travel Medallion, allowing you to select your current location as a marker to instantly travel back to
  • Flash: light up dark areas and places with heavy mist. Might attract/disturb pokemon in certain areas
  • Secret Power: cause who doesn't like making a secret base?
These could be rewards for optional things, such as longer sidequests

Additionally, I'd make it so that rental pokemon return to their owner if you leave them behind, as well as having them be in the field continuously.

Sweet Scent: either works as it always has OR attracts wild pokemon in the overworld. The return of horde battles through this mechanic would be nice too

As a field move? Probably not. I see field moves more as skills that help you explore the overworld. Sweet Scent doesn't really do that, it's just a tool that helps you catch Pokemon more easily. I would like to keep the functionality, but I don't think it really makes for a good ride Pokemon ability.

Dig: Instantly escape dungeons

I kind of want to do more with Dig than just using it as a "Get Out of Dungeon Free" card. Again, the focus is on having skills that help you explore the overworld. I did have a thought about using Dig to dig through soft dirt to open paths through certain walls or pitfalls to a lower floor.

Teleport: have it work like the Travel Medallion, allowing you to select your current location as a marker to instantly travel back to

All right, this could be really useful.

Flash: light up dark areas and places with heavy mist. Might attract/disturb pokemon in certain areas

Flash and Defog's usage was kind of contrived, it was only useful because they made the areas hard to see in the first place and not because it could help you go anywhere you couldn't in the first place. I'd rather it just stay gone and they just not have dark/misty caves.

Secret Power: cause who doesn't like making a secret base?

Again, not really something related to exploring the overworld, this is more related to a sidequest. They should probably find some other way to implement this.

I did have a few other ideas for field moves, such as having Fire types burn trees and thick brush, Grass types using Vine Whip to cross gaps like in Ranger, Ghost types to help you phase through walls, lava surfing like in Ranger: Shadows of Almia, crossing through heavy snow. There's a ton of possibilities that they could build on in future games, but ultimately I just chose the ones that were simple, common sense abilities that had a ton of utility.

These could be rewards for optional things, such as longer sidequests

Eh, I don't think that's a good idea. You don't want to lock something this important behind a sidequest, that'd make it a needle in a haystack.

Additionally, I'd make it so that rental pokemon return to their owner if you leave them behind, as well as having them be in the field continuously.

Why should they allow you to leave them behind in the first place? They should just always follow you, or warp to your location when needed.

As a field move? Probably not. I see field moves more as skills that help you explore the overworld. Sweet Scent doesn't really do that, it's just a tool that helps you catch Pokemon more easily. I would like to keep the functionality, but I don't think it really makes for a good ride Pokemon ability.
That's now what they've so far always been though. Even Gen VII's equivalent, Ride Pokemon, were a way for you to interact with the overworld, rather than just explore (i.e. Stoutland). Additionally, Sweet Scent has always been more convenient for this purpose than the other method we have, Honey, because it can be used infinitely.

I kind of want to do more with Dig than just using it as a "Get Out of Dungeon Free" card. Again, the focus is on having skills that help you explore the overworld. I did have a thought about using Dig to dig through soft dirt to open paths through certain walls or pitfalls to a lower floor.
Point taken, I figured it would just be nice to have it return because its function is handy. I don't see why you'd add dirt walls though if you already have breakable walls too. Maybe it could function as a move to helps you find buried items? A bit along the line of treasure hunting in the Underground

Flash and Defog's usage was kind of contrived, it was only useful because they made the areas hard to see in the first place and not because it could help you go anywhere you couldn't in the first place. I'd rather it just stay gone and they just not have dark/misty caves.
How so? They serve a purpose no different than trees or builders, forming an obstacle. An area that's so misty you get turned around is no different than a dead end because of boulders. It just means you'll have to find a way to make it through. Why not included dark caves and underground tunnels if you're gonna make a region focused on exploration? And it's not like as a field move it will ruin your pokemon's moveset anymore either, which has always been one of the biggest complaints about HM moves

Again, not really something related to exploring the overworld, this is more related to a sidequest. They should probably find some other way to implement this.
It is though? I mean, it literally lets you uncover hidden areas. Pretty sure that's exploration. And it feels more logical than a single-use item, like the Underground had. Or if they make it a key item, what would it even have to be? A drill is logical for underground bases, but not really for something in a tree...

I did have a few other ideas for field moves, such as having Fire types burn trees and thick brush, Grass types using Vine Whip to cross gaps like in Ranger, Ghost types to help you phase through walls, lava surfing like in Ranger: Shadows of Almia, crossing through heavy snow. There's a ton of possibilities that they could build on in future games, but ultimately I just chose the ones that were simple, common sense abilities that had a ton of utility.

. . .

Eh, I don't think that's a good idea. You don't want to lock something this important behind a sidequest, that'd make it a needle in a haystack.
That's exactly why you put less useful abilities behind a sidequest. Not to mention that they don't have to be difficult to find, there are plenty of ways to put in hints for finding them. Plus, open world type games might very well rely less on plot, or direct you less rigidly through it, so that should give plenty of opportunities to encounter sidequests or missions or whatever you want to call them. I don't think @they possibly might be hard to find@ is really a good argument

Why should they allow you to leave them behind in the first place? They should just always follow you, or warp to your location when needed.
Because you might want to go somewhere it can't follow you? "Hey graveller, Imma dive into this lake now, I know you can't swim but follow me regardless!". Simply put, there will be situations where a pokemon logically shouldn't be bale to follow you. And they'll have to go somewhere, so why not have them return to their owner? Not to mention, why ever get any pokemon if you can just rent a string of help pokemon indefinitely? I'll be honest, I also don't like the warp to your location function, like Ride Pokemon did, because it's my adventure I'm having with the pokemon I catch and befriend. But I do see the use of rental pokemon and I do think giving that option allows for interesting game events

That's now what they've so far always been though. Even Gen VII's equivalent, Ride Pokemon, were a way for you to interact with the overworld, rather than just explore (i.e. Stoutland).

That's predominantly what it's been for though. Field abilities are primarily used for getting past obstacles, so that should be the focus in choosing which ones to add.

Additionally, Sweet Scent has always been more convenient for this purpose than the other method we have, Honey, because it can be used infinitely.

Which is why I said keep the functionality. I like the idea of an infinite use method of attracting Pokemon, but not as a Ride ability.

Point taken, I figured it would just be nice to have it return because its function is handy. I don't see why you'd add dirt walls though if you already have breakable walls too. Maybe it could function as a move to helps you find buried items? A bit along the line of treasure hunting in the Underground

Fair point, that does make breakable walls redundant. Maybe just stick with boulders for Break.

And yeah, maybe digging could help you find buried items too.

How so? They serve a purpose no different than trees or builders, forming an obstacle. An area that's so misty you get turned around is no different than a dead end because of boulders. It just means you'll have to find a way to make it through. Why not included dark caves and underground tunnels if you're gonna make a region focused on exploration? And it's not like as a field move it will ruin your pokemon's moveset anymore either, which has always been one of the biggest complaints about HM moves

They're not dead ends, they're just hindrances. You can still progress through a dark or misty area, it's just harder to navigate. That kind of obstacle doesn't really add anything to the design, you don't change your path through the area because of it or solve a puzzle any differently, it just makes it harder to decide where to go.

It is though? I mean, it literally lets you uncover hidden areas. Pretty sure that's exploration. And it feels more logical than a single-use item, like the Underground had. Or if they make it a key item, what would it even have to be? A drill is logical for underground bases, but not really for something in a tree...

Uncovering them doesn't actually enhance the exploration though. The exploration occurs before finding them, after that you're just decorating or stealing flags.

That's exactly why you put less useful abilities behind a sidequest. Not to mention that they don't have to be difficult to find, there are plenty of ways to put in hints for finding them. Plus, open world type games might very well rely less on plot, or direct you less rigidly through it, so that should give plenty of opportunities to encounter sidequests or missions or whatever you want to call them. I don't think @they possibly might be hard to find@ is really a good argument

Hints can still be missed though. If you don't talk to the right person, or go in the right direction, you won't find them. It'd be better to just make them easily accessible instead of just going through one of several dozen sidequests.

Because you might want to go somewhere it can't follow you? "Hey graveller, Imma dive into this lake now, I know you can't swim but follow me regardless!". Simply put, there will be situations where a pokemon logically shouldn't be bale to follow you. And they'll have to go somewhere, so why not have them return to their owner?

You wouldn't keep the Pokemon out in those scenarios anyway. Remember, the way I've described this mechanic it only works when the Pokemon is following you, so if you want to use Dive, you would have to swap out Graveler for a Pokemon that can swim.

Not to mention, why ever get any pokemon if you can just rent a string of help pokemon indefinitely?

The purpose of rental Pokemon is to fill in any field abilities your active team may be lacking, not to rely on them constantly. There's an easy way to prevent the latter, just limit the player to one rental Pokemon at a time and design sections that utilize multiple field moves.

I'll be honest, I also don't like the warp to your location function, like Ride Pokemon did, because it's my adventure I'm having with the pokemon I catch and befriend. But I do see the use of rental pokemon and I do think giving that option allows for interesting game events

For your own Pokemon? Maybe you'd have a point, it would ruin the bond with them. But for rental Pokemon that aren't yours and are simply there to help you explore? That doesn't really matter as much. You wouldn't really have the same bond with them as you would a Pokemon you fully own.

That's predominantly what it's been for though. Field abilities are primarily used for getting past obstacles, so that should be the focus in choosing which ones to add.

. . .

Which is why I said keep the functionality. I like the idea of an infinite use method of attracting Pokemon, but not as a Ride ability.
That assumes you keep moves with a function in the overworld too, which seems unnecessarily complicated? Not as in "players won't understand this", but as in "there are two different systems with extremely similar functions". So either allow all moves/actions that can influence the overworld as field abilities/moves that you can unlock, or have them all be part of a moveset.

They're not dead ends, they're just hindrances. You can still progress through a dark or misty area, it's just harder to navigate. That kind of obstacle doesn't really add anything to the design, you don't change your path through the area because of it or solve a puzzle any differently, it just makes it harder to decide where to go.
That depends entirely on how you implement the mechanic. Why not do something like the Lost Woods, or Kalos Route 20, or Lost Cave, or that shrouded area north of the Lost Woods in BotW? If you're gonna make something open world, there will be obstacles that can be overcome in different ways, in all likelihood. Maybe there are trees blocking a passage which you could Cut to get through, but alternatively you could circumvent them by Climbing. Or you cross a river by Surfing, but alternatively you could keep following it until you find a bridge. How does that make a misty or dark area different? If you want to allow a different way for such a place to be explored, you could easily implement that. Not to mention that darkness/heavy mist could be introduced as new battle mechanics, with associated moves (it could even give an in-battle effect to Illuminate)

Uncovering them doesn't actually enhance the exploration though. The exploration occurs before finding them, after that you're just decorating or stealing flags.
Again, that depends on how you implement them. And that still begs the question "How else would you satisfyingly implement such a feature?"

Hints can still be missed though. If you don't talk to the right person, or go in the right direction, you won't find them. It'd be better to just make them easily accessible instead of just going through one of several dozen sidequests.
Then you might as well not make it open world and go back to handholding as tightly as you can. I thought the fandom wanted GF to let us do our own thing more again? Not to mention, ,(online) guides do exist. And it's not hard to highlight something important in a main quest event and make it practically part of that. For example, you just beat Gym Leader A and they now give you helpful information "Well, I heard that Person B can teach you how to do X, but I don't think she will do it for free. You can find her in place Y." And then your quest log gets updated. Not that hard

You wouldn't keep the Pokemon out in those scenarios anyway. Remember, the way I've described this mechanic it only works when the Pokemon is following you, so if you want to use Dive, you would have to swap out Graveler for a Pokemon that can swim.

The purpose of rental Pokemon is to fill in any field abilities your active team may be lacking, not to rely on them constantly. There's an easy way to prevent the latter, just limit the player to one rental Pokemon at a time and design sections that utilize multiple field moves.

For your own Pokemon? Maybe you'd have a point, it would ruin the bond with them. But for rental Pokemon that aren't yours and are simply there to help you explore? That doesn't really matter as much. You wouldn't really have the same bond with them as you would a Pokemon you fully own.
That assumes you take a rental pokemon's pokeball though. Which so far the game has never done. I mean, that doesn't mean it can't be done, but possession of a pokemon's pokeball has always suggested some kind of ownership. In Kalos the rental pokemon just goes with you and brings you to where you want. And in Alola ride pokemon are summoned. So, say you go to a rental place and take a graveller with you to use Break. It follows you around, helping you out until you hit a river you want to cross. You already have access to Surf, so you decide to do just that. Unless you have that graveller's pokeball, you can't recall it.

And that was not my point, I mean the fact you constantly have to use rental pokemon to get through stuff, rather than a member of your team, or even a pokemon you caught currently residing in the PC to help you face obstacles. Of course, this won't be so much of an issue if you can only have one rental pokemon out at a time anyway

I hope they add in the "Small species", "Big species" and "Regular species" in the game. With that, I mean that a species can have three different sizes. I think it adds something that makes it 'more real' since not all cats and dogs (I know that's really different, but still) are the same size and weight.

It's also a nice thing for stuff like Heavy Slam or Low Kick.

An ability that tells you the nature of the opposing wild Pokemon, I think it's way overdue for something that makes it easier for competitive players to achieve without hacking.

I hope they add in the "Small species", "Big species" and "Regular species" in the game. With that, I mean that a species can have three different sizes. I think it adds something that makes it 'more real' since not all cats and dogs (I know that's really different, but still) are the same size and weight.
You mean like they sorta did with Pumpkaboo and Gourgeist last generation? I do still like the sound of that myself.

You mean like they sorta did with Pumpkaboo and Gourgeist last generation? I do still like the sound of that myself.

Yeah, but then without the stat changes for each size.

I totally do not want that to get a Charizard that's taller than me instead of shorter.

That assumes you keep moves with a function in the overworld too, which seems unnecessarily complicated? Not as in "players won't understand this", but as in "there are two different systems with extremely similar functions". So either allow all moves/actions that can influence the overworld as field abilities/moves that you can unlock, or have them all be part of a moveset.

It's not an either/or scenario, there are other alternatives to this such as having a Key Item, an overworld object (such as the Pokeblock feeders), or some way to infinitely replenish Honey for free (a Vespiquen hive?).

That depends entirely on how you implement the mechanic. Why not do something like the Lost Woods, or Kalos Route 20, or Lost Cave, or that shrouded area north of the Lost Woods in BotW? If you're gonna make something open world, there will be obstacles that can be overcome in different ways, in all likelihood. Maybe there are trees blocking a passage which you could Cut to get through, but alternatively you could circumvent them by Climbing. Or you cross a river by Surfing, but alternatively you could keep following it until you find a bridge. How does that make a misty or dark area different? If you want to allow a different way for such a place to be explored, you could easily implement that. Not to mention that darkness/heavy mist could be introduced as new battle mechanics, with associated moves (it could even give an in-battle effect to Illuminate)

No, it doesn't depend on how it's implemented, it's just an inherent trait of the mechanic. Darkness and fog aren't like trees, rocks, or bodies of water, they don't outright stop your progress, they just hinder you and make an area harder to navigate. For the sake of simplicity, let's call obstacles like darkness and fog "soft obstacles" and the others "hard obstacles". The problem with soft obstacles is that the field moves used for clearing them don't really empower you to explore areas you otherwise couldn't or define puzzles like the kind you mentioned. You can still get through the area without them, leaving them around just makes the area more irritating to deal with. All of that can be avoided simply by not including soft obstacles in the first place.

Then you might as well not make it open world and go back to handholding as tightly as you can. I thought the fandom wanted GF to let us do our own thing more again? Not to mention, ,(online) guides do exist. And it's not hard to highlight something important in a main quest event and make it practically part of that. For example, you just beat Gym Leader A and they now give you helpful information "Well, I heard that Person B can teach you how to do X, but I don't think she will do it for free. You can find her in place Y." And then your quest log gets updated. Not that hard

Again, not an either/or scenario. Just because the game is open world doesn't mean it can't be designed to be accessible. The larger problem with handholding isn't that the game is making it easier by helping you, that can sometimes be a good thing if it makes the game less tedious or confusing, it's that the game restricts you from choices it doesn't think you can handle. With an open world, that's not a problem.

EDIT: On second thought though, maybe there is a way for this to work. If they place the sidequest needed to unlock it near the obstacle that it's used for, then they could distribute it through that sidequest. Say, for example, in a volcano there's a sidequest where someone asks you to find an item hidden deep within the area and gives you access to a Lava Surfing Pokemon to help you find it, that could work. But I would only use that for lesser field abilities that don't have as much utility, for the major ones like the ones I specified in my initial post, those should just be given to you outright instead of having to hunt for them.

That assumes you take a rental pokemon's pokeball though. Which so far the game has never done. I mean, that doesn't mean it can't be done, but possession of a pokemon's pokeball has always suggested some kind of ownership. In Kalos the rental pokemon just goes with you and brings you to where you want. And in Alola ride pokemon are summoned. So, say you go to a rental place and take a graveller with you to use Break. It follows you around, helping you out until you hit a river you want to cross. You already have access to Surf, so you decide to do just that. Unless you have that graveller's pokeball, you can't recall it.

Not necessarily. The mechanic could work using warping or some other type of containment device. Or it could have a special type of Poke Ball that doesn't signify ownership (a Rental Ball?).

Last edited:
It's not an either/or scenario, there are other alternatives to this such as having a Key Item, an overworld object (such as the Pokeblock feeders), or some way to infinitely replenish Honey for free (a Vespiquen hive?).
Again, why make things needlessly complex? In case of feeders you'd have to scatter them everywhere, a usable item still needs to be repeatedly replenished even if free (and having to pick them up everytime you run out gets tired pretty quick). And not to mention, so far GF has always given us either/or. Either we get HM moves and others moves that influence the overworld, or we get Ride Pokemon. And it doesn't have to be that way opf course and they can break this pattern, but as I said, it would introduce needless complexity.

No, it doesn't depend on how it's implemented, it's just an inherent trait of the mechanic. Darkness and fog aren't like trees, rocks, or bodies of water, they don't outright stop your progress, they just hinder you and make an area harder to navigate. For the sake of simplicity, let's call obstacles like darkness and fog "soft obstacles" and the others "hard obstacles". The problem with soft obstacles is that the field moves used for clearing them don't really empower you to explore areas you otherwise couldn't or define puzzles like the kind you mentioned. You can still get through the area without them, leaving them around just makes the area more irritating to deal with. All of that can be avoided simply by not including soft obstacles in the first place.
Sorry, but how is that different? I'd get it if we were discussing the overworld as we now have it, but not with an open world. The examples I mention become soft obstacles by your definition. Because the game gives you options here. Either you decide to press on with limited visibility, or you get the required field move. Either you take the easy way and just cross the water by surfing, or you follow the river until you find a bridge. Either you break the boulder that's in your way, or you go through the effort of climbing past it. So no, they aren't exactly puzzles and in an open world are absolutely not guaranteed to stop your progress.

And again, it depends on how you implement it. If you're in a misty area without light, but fives steps in the mist covers your entire screen and the game tells you "you got lost in the mist" and sends you back to your starting point, it becomes a hard obstacle. If you enter a dark cave and the game tells you "it's to dark to move on" and sends you back (or lets you wander aimlessly until you go back the direction you came from) it again becomes a hard obstacle. Whether you like this implementation is a matter of taste (though I think it's no less ridiculous than a two feet tall tree blocking your way).

Again, not an either/or scenario. Just because the game is open world doesn't mean it can't be designed to be accessible. The larger problem with handholding isn't that the game is making it easier by helping you, that can sometimes be a good thing if it makes the game less tedious or confusing, it's that the game restricts you from choices it doesn't think you can handle. With an open world, that's not a problem.

EDIT: On second thought though, maybe there is a way for this to work. If they place the sidequest needed to unlock it near the obstacle that it's used for, then they could distribute it through that sidequest. Say, for example, in a volcano there's a sidequest where someone asks you to find an item hidden deep within the area and gives you access to a Lava Surfing Pokemon to help you find it, that could work. But I would only use that for lesser field abilities that don't have as much utility, for the major ones like the ones I specified in my initial post, those should just be given to you outright instead of having to hunt for them.
And that is why I say add it to a quest log. Let NPCs close by give hints. That's really rather common honestly. I'm glad you finally managed to repeat my point though. And indeed, there's no reason to put important or main field moves behind sidequests, that would be ridiculous. That's why I said "These could be rewards for optional things, such as longer sidequests" in my very first post, directly after listing a bunch of less important possible field moves. Of course, which moves exactly are major and which are not depends on the game itself. But that of course depends on what kind of obstacles are implemented and how regular you'll encounter them.

Not necessarily. The mechanic could work using warping or some other type of containment device. Or it could have a special type of Poke Ball that doesn't signify ownership (a Rental Ball?).
But don't you ultimately want to encourage people to get through the overworld with their pokemon, rather than rentals? I mean, a rental ball might be something you could call it (and is a better solution than yet another system), but the whole nature of a rental 'thing' (whether they be vehicles, or pokemon, or tools) is that the use is of a temporary nature. Or in case of the rental ball it might take up a slot in your party, Maybe it's just my preferences, but I find the idea of an entire extra pokemon following you around practically permanent kinda odd...

Sorry, but how is that different? I'd get it if we were discussing the overworld as we now have it, but not with an open world. The examples I mention become soft obstacles by your definition. Because the game gives you options here. Either you decide to press on with limited visibility, or you get the required field move. Either you take the easy way and just cross the water by surfing, or you follow the river until you find a bridge. Either you break the boulder that's in your way, or you go through the effort of climbing past it. So no, they aren't exactly puzzles and in an open world are absolutely not guaranteed to stop your progress.

No, even if there's an alternate path to get around it, that doesn't make it a soft obstacle. You're still outright blocked from taking that path unless you have the appropriate field move. For it to be a soft obstacle it can't block you from taking any path.

And again, it depends on how you implement it. If you're in a misty area without light, but fives steps in the mist covers your entire screen and the game tells you "you got lost in the mist" and sends you back to your starting point, it becomes a hard obstacle. If you enter a dark cave and the game tells you "it's to dark to move on" and sends you back (or lets you wander aimlessly until you go back the direction you came from) it again becomes a hard obstacle. Whether you like this implementation is a matter of taste (though I think it's no less ridiculous than a two feet tall tree blocking your way).

This would make it a hard obstacle, yes, but the problem is that this implementation isn't common sense. Realistically, darkness and mist won't physically stop you from moving in a particular direction, they just make it harder to see. And if they implement it like a hard obstacle, players will just complain even more. Why should you be turned around by something you can still press on through IRL? By far the best thing to do about soft obstacles is to simply not include them. They only serve as an annoyance to the player and don't really add anything to the design

And that is why I say add it to a quest log. Let NPCs close by give hints. That's really rather common honestly. I'm glad you finally managed to repeat my point though.

The problem with that is there's really no way to help someone that's far away. Quest logs will only help you if you've found the NPC giving you the mission and the NPCs only help you if you're close by. So what if you're halfway across the region from the NPC you're looking for?

And indeed, there's no reason to put important or main field moves behind sidequests, that would be ridiculous. That's why I said "These could be rewards for optional things, such as longer sidequests" in my very first post, directly after listing a bunch of less important possible field moves. Of course, which moves exactly are major and which are not depends on the game itself. But that of course depends on what kind of obstacles are implemented and how regular you'll encounter them.

There's a couple of obstacles that are just universally common though. Trees, rocks, water, ledges, you encounter those frequently in any type of environment. So the field moves that help you get past those obstacles would be considered major in any game. That's why I picked the field moves I did in my initial post, all of those fit that.

But don't you ultimately want to encourage people to get through the overworld with their pokemon, rather than rentals? I mean, a rental ball might be something you could call it (and is a better solution than yet another system), but the whole nature of a rental 'thing' (whether they be vehicles, or pokemon, or tools) is that the use is of a temporary nature. Or in case of the rental ball it might take up a slot in your party, Maybe it's just my preferences, but I find the idea of an entire extra pokemon following you around practically permanent kinda odd...

What I want to encourage is for people to be able to choose their own team of 6 Pokemon without having to worry about whether or not an obstacle blocks their progresst. Rental Pokemon are meant to fill in the gaps for obstacles your team may be missing, that way you don't have to swap out one of your favorites just to get past an obstacle in the overworld. Limiting you to 1 Rental Pokemon at a time is all it takes to encourage that, then you'll need to have a diverse team of 6 to really get around.

Dunsparce needs a mega.

Darmanitanian needs a other kind of form or forms... Ghost, steel, ground and fairy modes. Zen mode , Aura wheel, mega or something.

I want new abilities and moves that would make you force the oponent to re-charge a turn and ones disable a move. Traps , entry hazards and damage dealing ones too.

Physical sound moves.

Shedinja like pokemon. Dragon/ghost immune to special moves and dark/ghost or dark/psychic immune to physical moves.

Abilities similar to bulletproof, soundproof that could protect from magic, slash/cutting/biting/blade/sword or Ram (full body or head )moves

Honey gather ability to protect from powder moves and maybe immunity to grass moves and hp healing or half bug type move damage? Or half bug and grass damage?

I hope that every ability and move get good and usefull in battle effects for every kind of battle( ball fetch-why?why?why? Boost ball moves or half damage from them or both!!!)

This might sound stupid, but I'd like to see more Pokemon.

In the games, most of the towns just have humans, with one or two Pokemon sprinkled around somewhere on the overworld. For a game series revolving around the Pokemon themselves, it's a bit ridiculous that this is the case. I'd like to see more Pokemon helping humans out with jobs, like serving dishes at restaurants or stocking shelves in PokeMarts. Seeing them run around towns and resting on rooftops would be cute as well. I want to see them everywhere.

LGPE and SWSH having Pokemon on routes is a step towards this, sort of. Although seeing different species interacting with each other on routes would be really cool too, especially given how some Pokemon are said to have rivalries with each other, or how some prey on others. Imagine going along a route and seeing some poor Wurmple getting chased down by a Taillow or seeing a Seviper and Zangoose duke it out in the middle of a field somewhere..

It'd add a much-needed liveliness to the overworld, I think.

More moves that slightly mess with the type chart like Flying Press or Freeze Dry would be nice too.

This might sound stupid, but I'd like to see more Pokemon.

In the games, most of the towns just have humans, with one or two Pokemon sprinkled around somewhere on the overworld. For a game series revolving around the Pokemon themselves, it's a bit ridiculous that this is the case. I'd like to see more Pokemon helping humans out with jobs, like serving dishes at restaurants or stocking shelves in PokeMarts. Seeing them run around towns and resting on rooftops would be cute as well. I want to see them everywhere.

LGPE and SWSH having Pokemon on routes is a step towards this, sort of. Although seeing different species interacting with each other on routes would be really cool too, especially given how some Pokemon are said to have rivalries with each other, or how some prey on others. Imagine going along a route and seeing some poor Wurmple getting chased down by a Taillow or seeing a Seviper and Zangoose duke it out in the middle of a field somewhere..

It'd add a much-needed liveliness to the overworld, I think.

More moves that slightly mess with the type chart like Flying Press or Freeze Dry would be nice too.

A lot of animation work there but could be reused motives.

Though about electric move SE to steel that could also burn. Galvanic Lance physical. It would be a sound move bc by galvanization a sound comes into play.

A poison move SE to water.

A dragon move SE to steel that could burn oponent. Dragon Torch or Fire.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom