• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What would you like to see in PMD 5?

evolution during the main game instead of being locked to post game (PSMD temporary evolution doesn't count).

Let's see now. First, the things I think are paramount:

- Tightly woven, epic, fulfilling main story, on par with SMD or Explorers (yes, I listed Super Mystery Dungeon first for a reason)
- Soundtrack with a good central leitmotif (SMD absolutely nailed this) and other catchy reprisals to hum long after the credits have rolled
- Good boss battle designs (Dark Matter >> Bittercold for this reason alone)

Note that I didn't list Gen 7 elements because that's a given; all PMD games are developed relative to the "current" gen.

Now, on to things that I don't think are necessary, but I would want to see them if possible:
- Improved dungeon design algorithm. We still need closer rooms shorter tunnels. More intersecting paths outside of rooms. Make some tunnels two tiles wide. Put more obstacles in rooms that we have to navigate around (or could hide behind). Overall, continue adding more variety.
- A starter choice that actually matters. Obviously the main quest has to be oblivious to your picks, but find ways to at least acknowledge the player's choice of species. Maybe add a "rival" NPC whose species is decided secretly, based on starter types you didn't pick. Or have a faction-like group of NPCs who won't let you in to their hangout unless you have a certain species/type of Pokemon with you (i.e. if it's yours then you can get in already, otherwise you have to recruit one first). If I learned even one thing from Skyrim's Civil War questline, sometimes it doesn't matter if two factions are essentially identical under the surface, so long as you are allowed to choose.
- Whenever the player is allowed to evolve, their evolutions should have the full set of animations that their base form did. I know this is a lot of work for little benefit, but you may remember that in Explorers, if you evolved your starting pair they didn't have a proper sleeping animation during the morning cutscene. (Neither does Super, which just excises the morning cutscene entirely.)
- More varied dialogue portraits for all Pokemon. Super Mystery Dungeon came the closest so far.
- Optional sidequests in the postgame. Or better yet, some mini-questlines. Remember what I said about factions earlier? This could be a good way to give you and/or your recruits some actual dialogue scenes. (If you've played Chrono Cross, you might be familiar with this - various minor scenes where whomever is in your active party will deliver a line, right down to their verbal mannerisms)

1. Let us Replay Boss fights- i would like to fight the final bos over again without redoing the whole game over again please.
you could make it lore friendly by making it a simulation so we can refight things like: The Bittercold, Dark Matter and more

2. more variety in starters- Pmsd BARELY has any starters that are not fire,water,or grass type and pikachu and riolu do not count
just give us back jigglypuff or something PLEASE

3. make Poipole a starter- look, it may be an Ultra beast but its also a starter in the world it come from and its cute, sounds like something a human would become right?

4.More Humans- don't you think its a little sad that the little protagonist is the only Human in the game that we see i mean,
don't you wonder what the Old protagonists are doing?
just smiplly make a "canon" human and partner from each game as NPCS for the new protagonist to talk to
oh and I want to see a human come to the PMD world to look for their brother/sister who: "suddenly disappeared in light one day"
(why am i feeling my "the Pmsd protagonist's past finally being unearthed" tingle working)

5. Devolution-now, before you all attack me with swords might i remind you that we are talking about the PMD World
where trees make Pokemon evolve,oran berries heal 100 hp instead of 10,and Humans become Pokemon, i don't see why not.
it most likely would cost you to Devolve so yeah i think it might work

6. Have someone do a "Flowey" at the beginning of the game-
i would love that,some cute thing that looks like its going to help you learn the game but then Nearly kills you
that would be a nice wake up call to say this game is not easy

(Oh my gosh! an undertale reference! Hunt them out!)

have any other other ideas? list them below!

Last edited:
4.More Humans- don't you think its a little sad that the little protagonist is the only Human in the game that we see i mean,
don't you wonder what the Old protagonists are doing?
Alternately, have a second human protagonist somewhere, who also wound up turned into a Pokemon. And the fact that, for the most part, neither you nor them knows what actually happened to the other person (until it's revealed late in the game).

just give us back jigglypuff or something PLEASE
Jigglypuff was never a starter in Pokémon Mystery Dungeon, but...

I'd like to see more variety amongst the starters. I wouldn't mind if PMD5 had, say, 16 starters, and the only main series starters were Rowlet, Litten, and Popplio. Personally, I'd like to see Rockruff, Clefairy, Keokeo, Sand/Snowshrew, and Ralts as starters, as well as Cubone and Munchlax returning.

@Stratelier There were other transformed humans in Gates to Infinity... off-screen.

@Stratelier There were other transformed humans in Gates to Infinity... off-screen.
That's the thing though ... off-screen, off-plot, out of sight out of mind. Telling vs. showing. It could be FAR more interesting for you to actually meet one of them, albeit only to learn the truth about them later. For example, what if Grovyle from Explorers was originally a human too?

It could be FAR more interesting for you to actually meet one of them, albeit only to learn the truth about them later.
In the first game
Gengar was the cursed human he framed you as being.

I'd like to see a lot of the things from the Shiren the Wanderer games. More complex interwoven dungeons would be interesting, or different kinds of floor shape generation.
More interesting dungeon features that aren't just traps or the occasional shop, like peaceful npc pokemon (that help you or give you quests) or special tiles of other kinds. Think fountains in Nethack and the like

so replaying some explorers of the sky I was thinking, you know how the quiz for getting a pokemon gives also a nature along it?

since that means the nature is based on you, with the game having an idea of what kind of person you are... it would be neat if there were slight variations in the story events based on it
nothing too significant, just dialogue differences and how situations play out... but the idea is that they could give the protagonist a lot more character and involvement, since they outright have a personality test at the start of the game

so replaying some explorers of the sky I was thinking, you know how the quiz for getting a pokemon gives also a nature along it?

since that means the nature is based on you, with the game having an idea of what kind of person you are... it would be neat if there were slight variations in the story events based on it
nothing too significant, just dialogue differences and how situations play out... but the idea is that they could give the protagonist a lot more character and involvement, since they outright have a personality test at the start of the game
Isn’t the Pokémon you get directly based on what nature it gives you, though? That would mean that playing as any one Pokémon will only have one kind of story variation.

That said, they could do like a combo of both that and PSMD where they could give you the quiz, determine your nature, give you a Pokémon tied to that nature, and then let you pick a different pokemon if you wish, while retaining the nature.

Also, it’d be neat if your partner then had its own nature that is determined to compliment yours, and then your two personalities (like dialogue and reactions and stuff) would be different in regards to story events. I’d dig that.

Isn’t the Pokémon you get directly based on what nature it gives you, though? That would mean that playing as any one Pokémon will only have one kind of story variation.

That said, they could do like a combo of both that and PSMD where they could give you the quiz, determine your nature, give you a Pokémon tied to that nature, and then let you pick a different pokemon if you wish, while retaining the nature.

Also, it’d be neat if your partner then had its own nature that is determined to compliment yours, and then your two personalities (like dialogue and reactions and stuff) would be different in regards to story events. I’d dig that.
Well, in Super Mystery Dungeon, they still had the personality test and then let you choose a Pokemon if you were dissatisfied with your result. So maybe if that remained, then the alternate dialogue can still happen

Well, in Super Mystery Dungeon, they still had the personality test and then let you choose a Pokemon if you were dissatisfied with your result. So maybe if that remained, then the alternate dialogue can still happen
Yep, that’s what I said. My point being that the dialogue differences are based on your nature, not your species.

I think a Partner Pokémon with a nasty, turbulent personality - a partner who would stir trouble because of their awful attitude or devious deeds - bears much potential. I think a "partner" like that could allow for many interesting decisions - "Intervene?" ; "Agree to bully?" ; "Agree to steal the item?" ; "Who will you support? Partner? Victim? Neither?"

Perhaps those decisions could have more mechanical effects (that is, whom the player must fight in a subsequent or future battle or which (special) items a player may be able to use, sell, etc.) rather than narrative effects because the latter may be more difficult to implement.

Anyway, I thoroughly enjoy the genuine development of the Partner Pokémon in the past games, although I would like to see more internal conflict than an obligatory adversary, i.e. a malicious or destructive outsider.

I would like to see more internal conflict than an obligatory adversary, i.e. a malicious or destructive outsider.
YES. I've said this before, but I get bored of larger-than-life plots and I'm not good at putting why into words. The best way I can put it is that it's the difference between 2003 and Brotherhood, if any of you lot are into Fullmetal Alchemist.

I think a Partner Pokémon with a nasty, turbulent personality - a partner who would stir trouble because of their awful attitude or devious deeds - bears much potential. I think a "partner" like that could allow for many interesting decisions - "Intervene?" ; "Agree to bully?" ; "Agree to steal the item?" ; "Who will you support? Partner? Victim? Neither?"

Perhaps those decisions could have more mechanical effects (that is, whom the player must fight in a subsequent or future battle or which (special) items a player may be able to use, sell, etc.) rather than narrative effects because the latter may be more difficult to implement.

Anyway, I thoroughly enjoy the genuine development of the Partner Pokémon in the past games, although I would like to see more internal conflict than an obligatory adversary, i.e. a malicious or destructive outsider.

didn't we have this in Pmsd? i mean, we could have decided to hide from the school after saving budew
and the Partner was pretty mischievous themselfs, most likely because actually they are a-"Moon Blasted by xerneas"

I would like to see more internal conflict than an obligatory adversary, i.e. a malicious or destructive outsider.
YES. I've said this before, but I get bored of larger-than-life plots and I'm not good at putting why into words.
I really like how rescue team handled the plot, it was an interpersonal thing. There was a punctuation of a world-endangering event, but it was a plot point for the climax of the story, not the basis of it. There's not even really a true villain in that game.

didn't we have this in Pmsd? i mean, we could have decided to hide from the school after saving budew

Well, mischief & disobedience are not qualities I would predominantly associate with an indicidual of offensive personality. Team Skull in PMD: Explorers of T/D/S were pretty brutish, and they were bullies, and I think a partner with similar characteristics would be interesting.

I really like how rescue team handled the plot, it was an interpersonal thing. There was a punctuation of a world-endangering event, but it was a plot point for the climax of the story, not the basis of it. There's not even really a true villain in that game.

I haven't played the Rescue Team games, and I now want to play them because you provided this information!

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom