• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What would your IRL team be?

Realistically speaking, I think that having a team of six would be difficult for the vast majority of people and would be the purview mostly of Pokemon trainers with a good chunk of financial backing, of which there would be a lot less. That's a lot of mouths to feed, not to mention having enough space for these Pokemon in a regular-sized house. Even if Pokeballs existed [which I don't think they would due to the ethical issues they'd probably raise in real life], you'd still want to let your Pokemon out frequently to keep them physically and mentally fit. So I'd probably only have three.

I live in a hot, very humid area, which is also quite populated and devoid of much nature save for beaches and swamps. [Florida]
  • Umbreon [Garnet]: An Eeveelution is always a safe bet. In this realistic scenario, I would prefer an Espeon as it is one of my favorite Pokemon, but mine would definitely end up evolving into Umbreon because I am very nocturnal. Also, it would mirror my black cat. There has been a colony of cats outside my house for decades and we've adopted two from that number. [The black cat isn't one of them, but still.] I'd imagine all of those cats as being various feline Pokemon, as well as Eevee. So that's probably where I would've gotten this one.

• Starmie [Anima]: Requisite Water-type for humidity land. And I would imagine a LOT of Pokemon would have one due to the unbearable heat frequent to these parts. There's lots of starfish on the beach. Eventually, I would've bought a Water Stone off the internet to evolve it. This one would help me stay cool because I would definitely prioritize teaching it an Ice-type move. Would also probably make a good conversation partner due to being Psychic-type and likely having heightened intellect.

• Ledian [Alisae]: Where I live, it is teeming with insects, which I am immensely afraid of. Though I probably wouldn't be as afraid of Pokemon insects, in real life I don't fear lady bugs all that much, loving their red coloring. So if there was any Bug-type I'd be confident with catching, it'd be this one. I'd probably ask her to keep the other bugs away from me.
All of these Pokemon are named after characters/monsters from my favorite video games, by the way.

Last edited:
Growing up I have lived in a small town in Sweden. This is my Pokemon team and the reasons.

Sawsbuck: Just 5 minutes walk we had nature preserves where deer and multiple other animals live. Deer used to come onto our lawn every now and then. Sweden is also well known for having variety with the seasons where the sun barely sets in the summer with lovely summer environments to complete darkess (northern sweden) during winter with beautiful winter wonderlands so Sawsbuck adapting after those is a solid choice.

Braviary: the region I grew up in has an eagle as representative animal. Also always useful to fly around.

Samurott: the region I moved to in order to study has an otter as representative animal. Very useful to surf with.

Ampharos: i have been studying Lighting Design and my passion for that began back when i was 15. Ampharos being the lighthouse Pokemon is a definite choice

Perrserker: growin up we had a cat who was the boss over his territory, all other cats had no chance. Perrserker(galarian meowth) is a solid choice due to both the cat but also the Viking ancestry

Arcanine: winter is cold. Need heat. Arcanine has been one of my old time favourites and a definite use in any pokemon game i play.

Ooo, this is difficult, especially trying to get a team somewhat based around your area. I live in California, about an hour or so away from the ocean and near some big cities, but also near the water. So I think I'm going to mostly take inspiration from the dexes for Unova, Galar, and a little bit of Alola, though Alola is just to get those beachy themes. The Hawaiin islands and California are quite different, seeing as Hawaii gets rain and actual weather and California is on fire for a good third of the year because it is so dry.

Primarina - I am so glad I managed to get a starter I love to work out for this team. Whenever I go to the coast, I often get to see seals and sea lions, aka Popplio. So, I think she would be an excellent pick for my team.
Sawsbuck - While I am not living in a rural area myself, I am not far from some large grassy fields, so I can imagine it wouldn't be too hard to get a Deerling or Sawsbuck, and I really like this Pokemon so it'd make a great team member.
Pyroar - This one is stretching it a little bit. I live in an area where we get a lot of mountain lions and coyotes, but since we don't have Pokemon for either of those animals, I had to make a stretch for one of them, and Pyroar seemed closer to mountain lion than Arcanine did to coyote. Definitely a solid team member, though I now have two part normal types.
Boltund - The dog Pokemon that is definitely closest to the labrador dog. Not only did I grow up with a labrador, but they're a very common type of dog here, seeing as many of them like water. And heck, I'll take any excuse to have one of my favorite Pokemon on my team.
Smoliv - I'm giving up and embracing the normal types. So what if I have four Pokemon weak to fighting types? I just suddenly remembered I live really close to vineyards, and while we don't have any grape Pokemon, we do have an olive Pokemon now. So Smoliv's on the team.
Espeon - I just had to have an Eeveelution on the team, and I mean hey, Eevee can be found in the wild in both Unova and Galar so I'm not cheating here. I love cats and grew up with one, and Espeon is the most cat-like Eeveelution to me, so I decided my last team member would be an Espeon.

And that's my team. Honestly, while this was a difficult challenge, I think my picks fit my area and life for the most part, and I'm really happy with how my team came out. Heck, I might have 4 pokemon weak to fighting types but the other two of them are strong against fighting types. The only thing I wish I could have added to my team was an ice type, but I could not justify that, seeing as the weather doesn't get all that cold in the winter where I am, and I rarely go to the snow. Someday though I'll be living somewhere with actual weather.

Dragon team:
  • Dragonite
  • Salamence
  • Haxorus
  • Hydreigon
  • Flygon
  • Kommo-o
Standard Team:
  • Dragonite
  • Charizard
  • Salamence (or Aegislash if I wanted one less flying type)
  • Aerodactyl
  • Metagross
  • Gyarados
My standard team has a lot of the same weaknesses (5/6 Pokémon being flying type) but these are pretty much my top 6 favourite Pokémon, and if real world Pokémon worked similarly to the anime, type matchups wouldn't be 'as' important as the games.

I life in a little village with a handfull cats and ducks and a lot of work to do. Here is my team:

240px-Schneid-Rotom_Anime.jpg
IMG_20220820_162057.jpg

IMG_20220820_162227.jpg
IMG_20220820_162400.jpg

Shiny Dragonite (Typhoon), Mega Shiny Altaria (Cirra or Stratus), Blaziken (Blaze), Porygon-Z (Proxy), Chatot (Kip), and Noivern (Viraug). This team is real, and I like them, especially Blaziken from Sapphire, who is 16 years old in real life.

Honorable mentions include Myu the Mew, Rio the Pidgeot, Riff the hyped Toxtricity, Penna the Togekiss, and my shiny Latias (who forgot her name like the peanut I am).

IRL I'd have Mincinno & Hoppip. I find them both cute, and seeing as they're easy to find in the wild in the games, it wouldn't be hard to get them as pets. I would value them for their company rather than try to battle.

however, if I was a trainer trying to do the league...

Jumpluff - hazards setter and lead.
Reuniclus - Special sweeper.
Togekiss - Tank, flinch hax.
Chandelure - Backup special sweeper

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom