• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What'd you name your rival?

Red: Gary
Crystal: First run: ??? (I think he appears with that name so when the I was asked to say the name I said that)
Second run: Silver (I lost the cartridge and bought another one online in 2010 and I knew that the Adventures character is called Silver so I called him that)
Leaf Green: Gary
Pearl: Gary (I did not know the default name)
Platinum: Barry
Soul Silver: Paul (I called him this after Ash's Sinnoh rival)
Blue: Gary
Silver: Silver (the battery of this game ran out or it became loose after about 2 months of owning it and I can't remember what I called it originally but when I replaced the battery in March 2011 I called the rival Silver)
I also have Black, Emerald and Sapphire but you can't choose the names of the rivals in those games.

I name him Pestana or Salazar because those are really scary names, and just for fun, using a typical evil name =D

Well in my nuzlocke run I named my Rival "luke" after a kid who flawlessly used to destroy my teams. Now that I know the game he is pre shitty :)

My rival's name in the games were Bison, Seth and a few naughty names rofl. :p

Last edited:
I have lots of immature names. One time, I named him POOP. All caps cuz I was too lazy.

i forgot that I named him ??? in gold and silver because they asked for his name and that was his name, lol. :p

I named my rival ??? in Crystal too. xD Such a clever little kid.

In Diamond/Platinum I named my rival Jasper. (Just a random name that I thought fit him.) In SoulSilver...I can't remember right now. I could grab my game and check but I feel lazy. I think it was Ray, or something similar. I think I just called him Blue in Leafgreen, and I can't remember the other games where you got to pick.

I tend to name him after a rival or foe of the character I base my name after. For example I am Edward in my Sapphire so if was FR/LG or G/S/C, I would have named him Jacob.

In my very first game, Yellow I am pretty sure I called him Trent after a guy who was a jerk to me from fifth grade through my freshman year of high school.

I named him Chris because that's my friend's name in real life, and also my brother's name who is my Pokémon rival. :D

I usually name them after my brothers if they allow me.

It also helped that some of the preset names for the rivals were my brothers names XD

I restarted my leafgreen, and I named my rival FAIL, so when I beat the elite four and the professer comes, he's gonna say "FAIL! i'm very disapointed in you." or whatever he says

Like a lot of people here, I named my rival "???" in most of the Johto games I played. I'm a good person.
LeafGreen: Gary
Diamond: Henry (Me and some friends all had Diamond/Pearl and had to brainstorm on a name, so we got this.)
These days I name them after my actual friends.

leafgreen-Mark
firered-oak (so awesome, non?)
emrald-Rachel
diamond-Barry (wasn't in the mood to naming)

I think I named my GII rival Mom and I made up my own story about how your rival was actually your mom in disguise. I thought of mom because it has the same number of characters as ???.

Can't really remember any previous rival names, but I know I named my rival in SS "Ginger." I hated him so much in GSC, but he's less of a jerk later on in HGSS, so now I feel bad for naming him Ginger...

just started a nuzlocke challenge on Yellow and in homage to this comic i called him...
Dicks+Oak_1cb0a4_430792.jpg

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom