• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What'll happen after Episode N, and before X and Y?

Has Japan ever aired the new generation anime before the games came out? (or was this mentioned earlier in the thread?)

While they had never done that for a new generation of the games, they had done that for certain characters. Roxie made her debut in Japan way before B2W2 was released. Some pokemons even made their debut in the anime before the release of their respective generations - most notably Ho-oh, Kecleon, Wailmer, etc. If they can release a new character before the games even get released, I don't see why they can't do that for the new generation. Technically, it's possible. But looking at it realistically, they won't ever do that. At least not for this generation. They announced a world-wide simultaneous release in October - and they'd want everyone to get their first touch on the games in October. In other words, make everyone wait and hype for the game without providing any info through other merchandises. Gen 6 won't debut in the anime until after the game release.

So it's more likely that a separate arc like BF or another mini-tournament will take place. Something to wrap up Unova and all the unfinished stories of the rivals, Cilan, etc.

And this is just out of curiosity,
The first two BW episodes aired in the US in February while the games came out in March.
Does this really matter much? I think that's just a case of dubbing since the episodes were just already out there.

I most likely suspect some sort of pointless tournament arc that will poorly shoehorn in Gen 6 Pokemon to give Ash influence to go to the Gen 6 region, thereby repeating the endless and viscous cycle of the Pokemon anime.

Given the nature of the Pokemon anime and how it seems to think, tournament arcs seem to be the only way they can use Pokemon for anything anymore.

Okay, my mistake. STILL she appeared before the games were released.

It still wasn't significantly long before the games were released and B2/W2 weren't a new generation either. They've shown Pokemon from new generations before as a way to hype up the new games and get more people interested in buying the games. While starting a new journey/series before the games are release is technically possible and it could hype up the games, they probably wouldn't want to start off the series before the pre-release information on the games is revealed and they most likely want to start the new series around the same time the games are released. With X/Y, since the games are going to be released worldwide, I highly doubt that they're going to start the new series significantly long before the games are released. I'm not even sure if they'll showcase another sixth generation Pokemon in the anime to encourage Ash to go to the next region since they didn't do that with the fifth generation.

Various reasons exist to believe that Japan will air the first episodes of XY before the games are out on the stores. And there's reason to think that:

For all the reason: The XY anime won't start in Japan until at least the end of August. Personally, I think that it will start in mid-late September.

Reason 1:First and all, the international release. And specially the fact that under normal circunstances the first XY episode will air in the US in January, after the Christmas campaign. Nintendo wants to release the anime to international audiences as soon as the game came out and the most realistic way to do without the dub VAs sppeding throught the dub is airing the episodes in Japan before the game came out. One thing is expect XY in my country this year (Spain) who I personally discard and other thing is that the writers don't intend to do it in CN US, YTV Canada and possibly UK and Italy. A delay mid-series isn't that important.

Reason 2: Promoting the anime before the games poromotes the games. The anime will make sure that the first method of knowing pokemon to the fans will be in the anime and those CoroCoro will be known beforehand in the CoroCoro magazine/Nintendo Direct/etc.

Reason 3: After Episode N ends, there isn't too much to do to promote the actual series on Best Wishes with the exception of the farewells of Iris and Cilan* , the resolution of thei rivalries of Burgundy and Georgia and how Ash will transport his reserves to Kanto. This is different than ha in Sinnoh where we have 8 months where we have a Grand Festival, a Gym Battle, a Pokemon league and the departures in 20 episodes with filler episodes added into the mix.
*If he leaves.

What could happen in the last episodes before XY starts?

First, I think that the events of the movie is happening just after the N's Climax. The "anime movie teaser" won't air too soon if the movie isn't happening in the canon until July. This could be one of the consequences of the international release. (There will be events attacked to the film (I know Nintendo) and the events need to be out before XY is in the US). The US could see the movie in August.

1- A Chroniches style season (in Best Wishes time slot). For one time, I see this happening, but there will be Ash's episodes between them. But with various things: there will have anything that a normal episodes has in timing (opening?, ending?, dare- da, Live Caster/movie promotion, ...). It could feature the older main character oif the show (Mainly), specially who left later in the show, the BW Rivals, Paul and Team Rocket (Mainly).

1B- A Dawn's miniseries. I see them doing a series of Dawn's episode to spacer thing up until Pokemon XY. I personally take caution if she somehows gets a Gen VI pokemon to her because that means that Dawn is doing Gen VI promotion. And I aren'0t sure that the writers intentions of a character with Piplup (and his merch) in it. It could be in kanto and feature Brock and May?
Also, Ash's episodes.

2. A PWT Tournament. It will be 3vs3, of the main cast only Ash will take part of it, Ash will use the reserves, and the rivals will be CotD and Ash's rivals. Ash can win a tournament in Best Wishes and many people would stop complaining about Ash being a loser. And episodes for Iris and Cilan (I predict only 1 Cilan's episode, thanks Season 2)

3. Other things who I don0t have the idea. Like the Benga showdown, for example.

Last edited:
I really believe Japan might take a hiatus to let the English Dub catch up. The games are being released internationally, so it wouldn't make sense for the English Dub to be months behind in terms of episodes. They'd want the new series to coordinate with the new games.

I really believe Japan might take a hiatus to let the English Dub catch up. The games are being released internationally, so it wouldn't make sense for the English Dub to be months behind in terms of episodes. They'd want the new series to coordinate with the new games.

I still don't see why Japan would want to put the show on hiatus for a couple of months. That wouldn't seem like the best way of handling the show on their end. I think that they would want to keep the anime interesting during the pre-release information for X/Y so that the ratings don't suffer. The merchandise sales matter a lot more than the ratings for a show like Pokemon, but they probably want to help keep them steady too. With the Gensect movie connecting to Episode N, I doubt that they would go on a long break before or after the movie was released. Since I don't think that the anime has taken a break for longer than a couple of weeks since the Porygon episode aired, that option seems rather unlikely to me. Besides that, there are other countries further behind from the Japanese version than the U.S. and that makes me think it's pretty unlikely that they'll start the new series at around the same time. Even with the games being released worldwide, it would probably be too difficult for them to start off the series at the same time as the Japanese version.

well as we learned from the team rocket 2 parter , that the dub has about 5 episodes dubbed in the bank waiting to air.. so its really only a 1 month gap between the us and japan.. all it requires is cartoon network to run extra episodes, so it is very possible for the us to catch up for a bit, go simultaneous with x/y until the end of the year, before the us would take a winter break (which they didnt do this year).. the us dub will have episode 1 of x/y when theres at least 5 episodes left in BW2

well as we learned from the team rocket 2 parter , that the dub has about 5 episodes dubbed in the bank waiting to air.. so its really only a 1 month gap between the us and japan.. all it requires is cartoon network to run extra episodes, so it is very possible for the us to catch up for a bit, go simultaneous with x/y until the end of the year, before the us would take a winter break (which they didnt do this year).. the us dub will have episode 1 of x/y when theres at least 5 episodes left in BW2

Considering that Cartoon Network hasn't been interested in airing episodes outside of the Saturday premiere slot in years, that still seems pretty unlikely to me. I'm also not sure how likely it is to have a simultaneous dub with the X/Y series when other companies have problems with just a simultaneous sub.

heres the big key to this.. cartoon network has a big hole in their saturday lineup now.. they are losing 3 of their shows THIS MONTH, so come august, they will need something to fill the void.. and its a perfect chance for pokemon to gain extra airings.. you really think they will run with repeats all summer on sat am? pokemon has a big opening here to run with new episodes outside the regular slot.. as of april 1st, the only shows on their sat am block running new episodes, are the 3 anime shows, none of cn's shows have new episodes, or will have had their series finales..

heres the big key to this.. cartoon network has a big hole in their saturday lineup now.. they are losing 3 of their shows THIS MONTH, so come august, they will need something to fill the void.. and its a perfect chance for pokemon to gain extra airings.. you really think they will run with repeats all summer on sat am? pokemon has a big opening here to run with new episodes outside the regular slot.. as of april 1st, the only shows on their sat am block running new episodes, are the 3 anime shows, none of cn's shows have new episodes, or will have had their series finales..

They should be getting two new shows for their DC Nation lineup later this spring, so their lineup isn't going to be full of reruns for too long and there's still the issue of airing Pokemon premieres outside of the Saturday morning slot when they haven't been interested in doing so for years. The fact that other countries are further behind from the Japanese version also makes the idea that everyone needs to catch up sound like it would be difficult to pull off.

There's also already a thread to discuss the dub of the next series here: http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/f228/gen-vi-dub-144799/ That being said, let's take the discussion of the dub to this thread and keep this one focused on what kind of arc the series will have after Episode N wraps up.

Okay, my mistake. STILL she appeared before the games were released.

It still wasn't significantly long before the games were released and B2/W2 weren't a new generation either. They've shown Pokemon from new generations before as a way to hype up the new games and get more people interested in buying the games. While starting a new journey/series before the games are release is technically possible and it could hype up the games, they probably wouldn't want to start off the series before the pre-release information on the games is revealed and they most likely want to start the new series around the same time the games are released. With X/Y, since the games are going to be released worldwide, I highly doubt that they're going to start the new series significantly long before the games are released. I'm not even sure if they'll showcase another sixth generation Pokemon in the anime to encourage Ash to go to the next region since they didn't do that with the fifth generation.
...yeah.

Which is why I said it was technically possible, not realistically possible. I said the same thing in my post... ;_;

I predict:

1) Some filler arc or nothing at all.
2) Iris becomes Opelucid City Gym Leader.
3) Cilan remains in Unova to further his goal of being an S-Class Pokemon Connoisseur
4) Ash returns to Pallet Town
5) TRio leave and stop following the twerp at last (or continue to follow him)
6) No reunion occurs like in DP (or a small one btwn Oak, Tracey, Delia, Ash like AG192 along with possibly Brock cameo)

Last edited:
I predict:

1) Some filler arc or nothing at all.

Check.

2) Iris becomes Opelucid City Gym Leader.

Triple check if she actually is qualified enough to be an eighth gymleader if Axew and Emonga and basically worthless.

3) Cilan remains in Unova to further his goal of being an S-Class Pokemon Connoisseur

This or maybe he can go travel to Sinnoh.

6) No reunion occurs like in DP (or a small one btwn Oak, Tracey, Delia, Ash like AG192 along with possibly Brock cameo)

Brock doesn't really need a cameo being in pallet Town. He might get an urge to travel with him again if he sees him. You know how Brock is by now.:ksmile:

most likely suspect some sort of pointless tournament arc that will poorly shoehorn in Gen 6 Pokemon to give Ash influence to go to the Gen 6 region, thereby repeating the endless and viscous cycle of the Pokemon anime.

Well, hopefully maybe they can do a Senior Cup or Master Cup for them while in Unova so that it might not be so pointless to you. Maybe have Oshawott and Snivy to evolve plus get the other reserves and pokemon other than Pikachu so actual damn development.

I'm sorry but this doesn't make sense. Why would the Japanese anime take a hiatus to let the English Dub to catch up...? It doesn't make sense... Yes, the show IS internationally popular and the games are being released internationally, but they have no reason to care about the English Dub catching up or whatever. If they care about foreign dubs catching up, then they should go on indefinite hiatus for every other dub in the whole wide world to catch up.

Anyways, since they decided to introduce Cheren this late in the series, there's a 0.0000000000000000000001% chance of Hugh making an appearance to battle Ash. Maybe for a filler arc, or mini-tournament in the series (with NO Cameron). Or maybe they'll bring back Virgil with a Ninfia in his team to hype up the X,Y.

An episode or two about Pokémon Musicals or another trip to Pokestar Studios or actual SEE a game at a sports area.

Surely I'm not the only one annoyed they've just barely done anything with Gen 5's none-battle diversions after milking the Contests for the better part of a decade...

To be fair with the sports area, you never actually see sports being played in-game because you only get involved with the players during practice. And considering those never really involved Pokemon in the games, I don't think it really deserves more attention than it already received in BW053.

To be fair with the sports area, you never actually see sports being played in-game because you only get involved with the players during practice. And considering those never really involved Pokemon in the games, I don't think it really deserves more attention than it already received in BW053.

Oh! My mistake.

Still sounds like an interesting episode concept though

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom