• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What's an Obscure Pokémon Move/Ability that Deserves a Spotlight?

Parissong

the bells of joy are ringing
Reaction score
Despite having 742 moves and 233 Abilities, I always feel like I learn a new move every time I pass by a Pokémon video, thread, or just anything. I find that while the majority of moves/abilities do not make it into the list of "metagame" moves in competitive Pokémon or the like, there are still some really cool ones that I've either forgotten or never heard of?

TIL that Magnitude is an actual move, which functions like a gamble-y counterpart of Earthquake. Despite having 100% Accuracy, its magnitude can range from the lowest (Magnitude 4 at 10 Power) to the highest (Magnitude 10 at 150 power). I can see Earthquake beats it all-round in terms of consistency, but high roll moves like this always make it fun.

What are some obscure or underrated moves/abilities do you know? :lapras:

Long unused in battle Teleport.
Its used by psychic types it should long ago work like Acupressure(chose your or oponents pokemon), Whirlwind and Batton Pass in one allowing the user to switch itself or oponent out from battle during single battles. This way Teleport would thematically fit battles more.

Kinesis the signature move of Alakazam that bends metal spoons only affects stats but should damage steel types in my opinion.

Telepathy and Forewarn-abilities that should protect you like disquise from those moves during single battles too.
Would deserve spotligh and change.

Telekinesis- makes pokemon levitate and easy to hit. Would be cool to take out a pokemon from Dig, Dive, Bounce, sky drop Semiinvulnerable turn and stopping it. Would be cool to get 30%chancd make oponent flinch or force to re-charge a turn.
Should effect flying and levitating pokemon. When used by the user on the user should work like Magnet rise.

Powder. Bug type move that explodes when contact with fire move... If oponent has flame body or magma armor then it should work automatically. Also weird that electricicity (sparks) and poison(chemical explosion) moves should activate it. Would deserve a buff and more spotlight especially in anime.

Stench . causes 10% flinching by contact but actually should have now 30% chance of making the oponent to re-charge(lose) a turn. Making a oponent re-charge a turn would make more logical sense for the slow pokemon who got the ability in the past.
Especially after the spotlight in anime gen 1.

Magnet moves and abilities should differently react to steel and electric types... Magnet pull traps only steel types? Why not electric types too? Why not make user immune to steel attacks? Why no Magnet push for switching? Why cant You use Magnet Rise on Your oponent too and make it work like Telekinesis?

Circle Throw fighting type switching move that should be learned by wrestlers, fighters, samurais, sumo fighters but Emboar, Samuotrr, Chesnsugh and Incineroar still didnt learned it?

Tickle- reduces stats but should cause flinching, disable a move or make oponent recharge a turn.

Metal sound- a move that always in the anime is shown to block, flinch, disable, force oponent to re-charge a furn and cause demage but only reduces stats. Needs buff and spotlight.

Dragontail needs anime spotlight with actual game effect used.

Perish song and Cursed body need more be used in gyms and have more anime spotlight.

Swallow and spit up it consumes a pokemon to then shot it out of yourself... If it has a ability that normally hurts oponent when draining also should activate by this.

Shed skin helps to free/heal from status conditions but should also free from trapping and biding too. This deserves a spotlight.

Wonder guard protects Shedinja from poison damage moves but not from toxic and toxic spikes? Silly. Ice moves and hail? I understand sandstorm and rock moves but not the ones it sbould be immune too.

Sandstorm- rock type move and wather even if sand moves are mostly ground oriented. Sandstream used by a rock and ground type. Boosts 1,5 sp.def from rock types? Why not both defences? Special and physical? but only imnunity for ground and steel types? Ground should heal hp during it or get 1,5 def. Steel could loose speed one stage actually bc rock types are weak to them.

We got hail and sandstorm weathers but no Sandy or Snowy terrains? This deserve a spotlight.

Immunity- helps not to get poisoned but doesnt reduce damage?

Heatroof?Waterproof? Why not reduce damage and boost both def and sp. Def at the samd time?

Spider web? Reduces speed but no flinching? No causing recharge? Spider web moves and string shot should affect flying pokemon... Flinch, Disable, Block or force a oponent to recharge a turn too by 10 or 30% chance.

Shadow Force and Fantom Force go through protect, differ in power and not many can hit them in semiinvunerable turn.

Rottoteiler... You dig ground to make grass stronger but ground not? No sense... Dig should be stopped. Ingrain should get blocked or be stronger after it. Maybe even it should remove or change a terrain?

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom