• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What's going on with Ash and Greninja?

Desdar300

Reaction score
So I'm sure most of us can agree that the XY&Z Opening was amazing but it revealed something really interesting that I myself didn't catch at first.
It seems that Greninja was looking down on Ash almost like he was disgusted by him or something and eventually left him.
I've seen a theory going around about Greninja ditching Ash ( albeit temporary )because he lost to Charizard X and Mega Sceptile.
What do you guys think is going to happen? Are we going to get another Korrina\ Lucario like arc but with these two?

Well, something will have to put Ash and Greninja to the test in order for them to activate the special "Mega-Evolution" Greninja has going on here. I have two in mind:

1) Ash realizes that he and Greninja are virtually outclassed by the Mega-Evolutions, possibly by Alain's Mega-Charizard X. Alain is seen to be part of Team Flare's gang, so I think he might be the foe that Ash is unable to beat when fighting against Team Flare. Add on to the possibility that Sawyer has gotten himself a Mega Sceptile, that would really dampen both of their spirits. Which would then unlock the special bond.

2) The other, and more unlikely, theory is that Ash's Greninja might have (temporary) perished like AZ's Floette, hence why Greninja turns into water when Ash tries to reach him in the intro. Again this is very very unlikely, but it would be quite a shocker.

Well, something will have to put Ash and Greninja to the test in order for them to activate the special "Mega-Evolution" Greninja has going on here. I have two in mind:

1) Ash realizes that he and Greninja are virtually outclassed by the Mega-Evolutions, possibly by Alain's Mega-Charizard X. Alain is seen to be part of Team Flare's gang, so I think he might be the foe that Ash is unable to beat when fighting against Team Flare. Add on to the possibility that Sawyer has gotten himself a Mega Sceptile, that would really dampen both of their spirits. Which would then unlock the special bond.

2) The other, and more unlikely, theory is that Ash's Greninja might have (temporary) perished like AZ's Floette, hence why Greninja turns into water when Ash tries to reach him in the intro. Again this is very very unlikely, but it would be quite a shocker.

My guess is exactly the same as your first, which I wrote on the Opening theme discussion thread.

However, the second possibility is quite shocking if it come true....... but I don't see it being the case, but at the same time I won't rule out it....

What if Greninja is sad that he disappointed Ash and leaves only to be tried to be stopped by Ash but to no avail

The vibe I get from that part of the opening is Greninja is disappointed at Ash on how he's taking the losses against Alain, Sawyer and not because of the actual defeats themselves. Which makes Greninja come to the decision to leave Ash's side due to his current weakness. Until an important event happens that mends their broken bond and causes Greninja to transform into it's Ash Greninja variant.

My initial thoughts on this are that it may indicate Ash losing confidence after certain events and being caught up in his emotions. Maybe he feels like he's failed his friends or his Pokemon? Greninja then gets fed up with Ash being in this somewhat depressive state and pretty much forces him to get his shit together by threatening to walk out on him, in some way telling Ash that what's going on with him is not what he joined Ash for.

Hmm... not sure if that's quite what I wanted to say but it's good enough. :p

Much as any of these scenarios would be really interesting and something I'd love to watch...

BEWARE.

This is not the first time fans have been trolled by hype-y OP animations (Lizardon vs Reshiram anyone?) and also not the first time we have had totally irrelevant scenes of Satoshi moping (Pokemon Symphonic Medley...) It's quite possible that there is no deep meaning behind what's shown.

Yeah, random crying scenes and action-packed scenes of events that are never going to happen have been a staple of Pocket Monsters openings since the beginning. This scene of Satoshi and Gekkouga, by itself, doesn't mean anything.

Yeah, random crying scenes and action-packed scenes of events that are never going to happen have been a staple of Pocket Monsters openings since the beginning. This scene of Satoshi and Gekkouga, by itself, doesn't mean anything.
I'm just dying to see what Ash Greninja is.

Doesn't Olympia say after the gym battle that Ash and Greninja will go through some great trial?

She did all the foreshadowing for XY&Z and the opening scene doesn't seem to be deceiving in that regard.

Or maybe it's because Ash never directly reciprocated Frogadier's feelings and told him he loved him back after Olympia's revelation...

At this point, I would not be surprised if that was the case.

My thoughts exactly when I saw the opening! As much unlikely as it may sound, I would want to see something of this sort in the anime.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom