• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What's the difference between Journeys Offscreen Training and Previous OFT?

KrspaceT

Reaction score
So this is something I was thinking the other day. Now, I do think that this series could use some more training focused moments (though the issue with their lower count is overinflated IMO), but it is hardly the only time this sort of thing happens. So thought I'd ask some questions.

1. First, how does this differ from moments in previous series where a Pokemon shows a new move that it learned offscreen while in Ash's rotation: examples including Swellow's Double Team, Phanpy's Earthquake, Pignite's Brick Break, Leavanny's X-Scissor, Palpitoad's Sludge Wave, Krookodile's Aerial Ace, Hawlucha's X-Scissor, and Noivern's Dragon Claw. Basically a move that was pretty clearly not shown when captured or shortly enough after and it is an interesting move enough to warrant seeing its learning (AKA 'you could this being a cool moment in an episode')
  2. Second, how does this differ from when Ash's team learn new moves at Professor Oak's or elsewhere.
I feel like no one has ever had issue with the second option (which rarely makes a specific note of it, honestly Torkoal's Heat Wave is the only time I recall it coming up, they just have the moves when we next see them used), and I can't remember how people react to incidents like the first and how this might differ from Journeys reactions.

Well, people cheer when Gengar makes a two second cameo in an episode merely doing nothing but floating around, so it should only be natural there would be significant upset over them learning moves off-screen when we could've used it as a chance for development or more team bonding.

I care about quality screentime, not necessarily training. In the games, new moves pretty much come out of nowhere (or worse, by paying some commodity for them), so I don't understand the anime fandom's fixation on spending a lot of time to perfect a move. It isn't interesting.

1. Second, how does this differ from when Ash's team learn new moves at Professor Oak's or elsewhere.
I feel like no one has ever had issue with the second option (which rarely makes a specific note of it, honestly Torkoal's Heat Wave is the only time I recall it coming up, they just have the moves when we next see them used), and I can't remember how people react to incidents like the first and how this might differ from Journeys reactions.
If a Pokemon has been absent for a long time (and all the reserves have, to varying degrees), then it's far more understandable that it's been training on its own. The alternative would be depressing.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom