• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What's the Easiest/Hardest Part About Writing Fan Fiction?

Legacy

Reader and Writer
Reaction score
Think about your entire process that you go through when you write your fic. What is the easiest step in that process? What is the most difficult part of that process?

For me, I think the easiest part is once I get everything in order and I can just write... I can just let my abilities take over and do what I love doing: writing.

I think the hardest part for me is organizing my thoughts before I write.

What about you?

Easiest part is writing the action things for me, and the hardest is planning it out in general because I always change my mind :/

Easiest part? Finding an idea. Hardest part, finding the time to write it.

Easiest would definitely be getting ideas and making stories out of them... hardest would be to make the chapters long enough. I don't have any finished work here, but my finished ones end up being the same length as anyone elses, but with millions of teeny-tiny chapters.

Well, on another aspect. The easiest thing is imagining how things will unfold, a vision of the events in the story plays through your mind. The hardest part is steering away from the usual crap that people wrote, I'm not reading another journey fic, but aside the fact, being original with ideas, writing stylings, and Everything. A quote I love, or rather a tecniques, is to explore the latest trends, and avoid them at all costs. But I digress.

The easiest part is planning out the plot in general. The hardest part is to plan out the small sections.

easiest is...um...i don't know. i think everything about writing is hard until i actually start writing, and then only half of it is hard...and then i slow down, and then i stop. i love to write, but i am a perfectionist and stopping to scratch out things every single sentence is creatively draining. once this fic of mine gets going i'll probably be churning out chapters once every two or three weeks :|

something that's always hard is writing fight scenes. i almost never find them fun to read, and therefore they are boring to write. i've been struggling with description a lot lately, too; i am a fan of (well-executed) flowery prose, but i've been reading somewhat minimalist literature and i have a tendency to emulate the style of whatever i'm reading at the time, so...it doesn't work out well.

Action sequences are the easiest to write for me.

The hardest part is getting the motivation to write.

Other hard things for me include:

- Going back and making sure what I wrote sound
- Finding the time to actually sit down and knock out a good chunk
- Making believable characters and writing their interaction with each other
- After brainstorming, implementing the stuff I come up with and sorting what I want to use and what I don't

Easiest would be writing, and hardest writing something I like. This makes me rewrite a lot :-(

The easiest for me is just the writing. Once I start, it's easy to keep going. The hardest part is bridging the gap between the things I have though out. That's when I go for a run or meditate to some Two Steps From Hell to help visualize the scenes I need.

The easiest for me would be coming up with ideas and writing them. I find it extremely easy to plan out a whole story, and usually do it in seconds. But the hardest would be writing emotional scenes, which I'm very bad at writing.

Easiest? The plans, ideas, scenes, relationships, character development, plot twists. Hardest? PLOT. STARTING. PUTTING STUFF INTO WORDS. OVER COMING PROCRASTINATION. Yes, I think of plot twists before the actual plot =w= Doesn't help that I change my mind frequently.

Esiest for me isthe plannig- I'm always bursting with ideas, much of which are sadly ideas for different fics alltogether. The hard part is definetly finding time to sit down and write and let it all flow out. Forced writing doesn't work for me. For some reason I work best in the wee hours of the night. Which, considering I'm still a student can get pretty frustrating and tiresome. Then again, when it's summer and people don't bother sleeping at night either way...

Easy part is coming up with ideas but the hard part is not getting distracted for other ideas that I've thought of for the next part. For exampe I already know what I'm doing when I finish tales but I'm not even half finished yet

Upon my ideas

Easiest= Conceiving the idea
Easy = Telling the idea
Medium= Thinking of special characters
Hard = Not making them Mary/Marty- Sues
Hardest = Explaining the story

The easy parts are making a plot and writing it out. The only hard part for me is to actually stick to this plot: With all of the stories I've done, I've done quite a few instinctive things that totally screw up my original plan for the story.

My most extreme case? Sinnoh Stories. I originally intended for it to be a legitimate backstory for Volkner, using canon events (I'd done research even in the anime, which I don't like). But then I started typing, and bam - I have an out of character (mean, Pokemon-hating, jerkface) Volkner going through supernatural events, partnering up with people like Cyrus and Gardenia. Both of these partners being off of a whim, by the way.

For me, I felt easy for all kinds of plot planning. From the general major story flow to small minor background details like the structure of buildings the characters went to.

The actual writing is generally hard for me, though the writing section I can divided into further detailed difficulty levels:
Easy: All the fighting scenes. I'm just good with that.
Medium: All the major scenes that is not fighting.
Hard: All the minor scenes + filler chapters which the protagonist is not doing any big events. It bored me out when I'm trying to write these sections.

The HARDEST amongs the hardest for me will be the grammar + being consistence in your own writing style. I'm also a perfectionist, hence I need to think very hard for every single sentences I need to write before I actually write it down. This part really takes most of my time, because I often delete the written sentence because I think it is not very good, and takes another several minutes to think of another sentences that express the same thing but in better language style.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom