• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What's the most embarrassing thing you used to believe about the Pokémon games?

I don't really remember any truly embarrassing things I believed about the games for some reason. I do have one memory though: my first Pokémon game ever was Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness, and after reading about it online I genuinely believed you would start the game with a Salamence and even bragged about it to friends at school... Imagine my surprise and disappointment when that was only a cutscene and you get an Eevee instead. Still love the game though :wynaut:

I used to think that the emulator I played Pokemon Crystal on made it impossible to obtain shiny Pokemon. For some reason, I was sure it was impossible because I hadn't encountered any myself. At the time I must have thought shinies were less rare than they really on.

I used to think water was weak to ice-type Pokemon. I remember how salty I was when I realized it wasn't. I was playing SoulSilver and trying to beat Claire's Kingdra with my somewhat underleveled Dewgong. I was so frustrated because I thought Kingdra was 4x weak to Dewgong's ice type attacks because it was a Water/Dragon-type and it was like my hits were doing barely anything. To rub salt even more in the wound, when I looked it up I realized Kingdra was not only not 4x weak to the ice type attacks, it was damaged normally by them because the water negated that ice type weakness dragon types had. I was not happy.

Now that I think about it... I have never seen an RPG where Ice is strong against Water... You would have thought there would be a game with that, but no.

(I do agree that Water being weak against Ice would have been logical).

Last edited:
After watching the corresponding episode in the anime, I actually believed you could catch Keckleon in Pokémon Crystal :wynaut: More specifically, I convinced myself that it was found in a headbutt tree near Olivine City and I kid you not I spent weeks trying to get that thing. I assume I just gave up at some point but man! I can't believe I managed to convince myself of that haha

To be fair, Diancie is a mutation of Carbink in-universe, just one that is unknown to humans, so the player can't trigger it. So your belief was actually not that far off.
I remember reading about that in one of those Pokémon handbooks, so that's probably where the belief came from.

As a kid, I noticed that the evolutions of a Pokemon appeared after the base stage in the Pokedex, and I mistakenly thought that consecutive single-stage Pokemon in the Pokedex evolved into each other too.

So in Sapphire, I ended up with a lv. 50-something Plusle, Lunatone and Volbeat as my party members. I assumed that they'd evolved into Minun, Solrock and Illumise eventually. Then I discovered Pokemon fansites like Bulbapedia and Serebii and learned I was just dumb. :wynaut:

Really stupid, but as a young kid I thought stat-lowering moves didn't do anything, since that Level 2 Pidgey's Tackle basically did the same damage before and after my Bulbasaur's Growl. For a long time, my partner's movesets consisted of outright damaging or non-stat related status moves.

Then I learned about stat stages the hard way courtesy of Winona and her Dragon Dance.
I used to believe that status were useless for the longest time too since I couldn't read English to infer their effects. However, when I eventually found out what they did and realised that Tail Whip lowered my Pokémon's defense, I became deadly afraid of every Rattata using it on my starter on Route 1 because I hadn't figured out the effect only lasted for a single battle. I thought that after going through Route 1 and repeatedly getting hit with Tail Whip would give a Rattata that used Tackle a super powerful hit into my lowered defense. Thankfully this never happened >_>

When the Sinnoh anime debuted I was 100% sure Dialga was a Dragon/Ice-type because in the first anime opening, it's shown standing on a glacier apparently using Blizzard, which it can learn, so when I got Diamond later in the summer I was a bit disappointed when I learned it's true typing. Ice is still my favorite type, Dialga is still one of my favorite Pokemon, and I still teach it Blizzard in every game just because of this.

An old friend of mine once told me it was possible to kill a low-level Pokemon (Read: KILL, not knock out) with a strong attack from a level 100 Pokemon in the original games, and that then cops would pursue you until you were caught and thrown in jail for the crime. I believed it.

I guess it was a tease.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom