• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What's the Most Foolish Thing You've done with a Master Ball?

Using it to catch Primal Groudon in Omega Ruby. Only because it kept spamming Rest, I couldn't lower its health enough for the Ultra Balls to work, and when it WAS low enough, it either still didn't work, used Rest again, or the move was a critical and I had to start all over again. So in the end, I just used the Master Ball, which I really wanted to save, to catch it.

And then I gave Groudon a stupid nickname just to spite it. Hopefully "Mr Cuddles" will learn his lesson about messing with me.

Using it to catch Primal Groudon in Omega Ruby. Only because it kept spamming Rest, I couldn't lower its health enough for the Ultra Balls to work, and when it WAS low enough, it either still didn't work, used Rest again, or the move was a critical and I had to start all over again. So in the end, I just used the Master Ball, which I really wanted to save, to catch it.

And then I gave Groudon a stupid nickname just to spite it. Hopefully "Mr Cuddles" will learn his lesson about messing with me.
That's not foolish. It's perfect and I love it

Luckily enough, I have never used the Master Ball for foolish catches. In my first ever "immersion" on Pokémon games with R/B, I used it to catch Zapdos so, nothing of foolish here I guess.

As for now, the Master Ball is still the most precious item for me since by using it with Synchronize, definitely reveals a rather easy way to get a legendary you want to have with perfect Nature and IVs.

The only time I've ever used a Master Ball on a non-legendary Pokémon was when I wanted a Beldum for my Platinum team.

Considering that it has the lowest catch rate of any non-legendary, only appear in swarms for 24 hours if they ever show up, and how its only move deals recoil damage... this definitely wasn't foolish by any stretch if you ask me.

When I was a kid playing Yellow I remember using the Master Ball on Zapdos because I hadn’t yet figured out save scumming and I couldn’t handle not having Zapdos.

Spent about 4 hours looking for Feebas in Ruby, when I finally found one, I threw the MasterBall. Even though, they re-spawn in the same location for the whole day...

Spent about 4 hours looking for Feebas in Ruby, when I finally found one, I threw the MasterBall. Even though, they re-spawn in the same location for the whole day...
actually, they'll spawn in the same spot until there's a new hip-and-happening thing in Dewford. It's D/P/Pt that has the location change daily

When I was 12 Diamond came out. Got to the part where you had to get up to the Spear Pillar, and was so ready for Dialga, but then I met a Abomasnow, got freaked out, thinking it was some special Pokemon, or something I d have incredible trouble finding again. I used it on a Abomasnow, I think I had just caught a Snover too

When I was playing Soul Silver back in 2011 or so I got so tired of chasing Raikou I just threw the Master Ball at it. I love Raikou to bits so that's not really the foolish part of all this. I struggled a lot with Entei, Suicune, Ho-Oh and so on without the Master Ball. Sooo I ended up resetting the game. I have no idea what my thought process was. It's not like the Master Ball would just clone itself if I reset the game. It took me a few years to figure out how to actually just catch them in other types of Poké Balls, so in the meanwhile I thought I could just catch one legend per gameplay, usually being Raikou or Lugia. Oh well.

I can't remember which of the BW/B2W2 games, but I stupidly caught one of the Swords of Justice with the MB. I had just started playing Pokemon again after a ten year break.

Less of a foolish thing of what I tried to use it on, but more a when I tried to use it. If I remember right, when you first fight necrozma in USUM I had planned to use it during that battle (since everyone said it would be difficult). Imagine my surprise and horror when I find out I cannot use the ball because this necrozma is technically two pokemon. This lead to a very difficult battle since I did not plan my part to face this guy. I only won because my Incineroar is a freaking beast and held onto 1 hp multiple times while I prayed the poison or burn that had been inflicted on it would take it out.

I later threw that masterball straight at necrozma head the moment I found him on the way to the Elite Four. YOU DON'T GET A SECOND BATTLE SIR, THE LAST ONE WAS GOOD FOR AT LEAST 10. Thank god I did not do a nuzlocke that run.

Less of a foolish thing of what I tried to use it on, but more a when I tried to use it. If I remember right, when you first fight necrozma in USUM I had planned to use it during that battle (since everyone said it would be difficult). Imagine my surprise and horror when I find out I cannot use the ball because this necrozma is technically two pokemon. This lead to a very difficult battle since I did not plan my part to face this guy. I only won because my Incineroar is a freaking beast and held onto 1 hp multiple times while I prayed the poison or burn that had been inflicted on it would take it out.

I later threw that masterball straight at necrozma head the moment I found him on the way to the Elite Four. YOU DON'T GET A SECOND BATTLE SIR, THE LAST ONE WAS GOOD FOR AT LEAST 10. Thank god I did not do a nuzlocke that run.
I still don't know what they were thinking there. Ultra Necrozma is frickin' strong and even if you only train one Pokémon, it will only be 4-6 levels higher and has a good chance of being 1-hit killed if it happens to be weak to one of Necrozma's moves. Doesn't help that it has an aura that boosts all its stats.

I still don't know what they were thinking there. Ultra Necrozma is frickin' strong and even if you only train one Pokémon, it will only be 4-6 levels higher and has a good chance of being 1-hit killed if it happens to be weak to one of Necrozma's moves. Doesn't help that it has an aura that boosts all its stats.
giving you a challenge. showing you that ultra necrozma is a threat. honestly? i welcomed the challenge, I hadn't felt this surprised by an opponent in ages (ok, the totem pokemon could be pretty good too)

giving you a challenge. showing you that ultra necrozma is a threat. honestly? i welcomed the challenge, I hadn't felt this surprised by an opponent in ages (ok, the totem pokemon could be pretty good too)
Yes, but I felt like it was a little too much since the times I had to beat it I had to resort to stall it with Revives until it only uses Struggle or abuse Roto Boosts. I like challenges, but when you have to resort to dirty tactics, it feels like was not well designed.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom