• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What's the most interesting word you've read?

Calcium

Former Slythe
Reaction score
I like anomalous words that I haven't heard/read before and it's a personal priority of mine to make a mental note of and use any that I find, so it would be interesting to see what other people have come across.

Please provide a definition and/or a link to a definition of each word (if not we could probably just google it), and we can build a library, of sorts, for vocabulary to be used in everyday life or, say, English papers and the like.

I'll start, I suppose-

Sangfroid (noun):
Composure or coolness shown in difficult or dangerous circumstances.
"He performed in front of millions with extraordinary sangfroid."

Last edited:
Iguanodontidae-Of or pertaining to Iguanadons, plant eating dinosaurs of prehistoric times.

Flockynockynihilipilitication.

The act saying that something is worthless or without value.

See username.

Caprizant

Bounding; leaping; denoting a form of pulse beat.

Lopadotemachoselachogaleokranioleipsanodrimhypotrimmatosilphioparaomelitokatakechymenokichlepikossyphophattoperisteralektryonoptekephalliokigklopeleiolagoiosiraiobaphetraganopterygon

That is is a fictional dish mentioned in Aristophanes' comedy Assemblywomen. See Wikipedia

Supercillious- displaying arrogant pride, scorn or indifference.

Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia - fear of long words

This must have been made by one sadistic person.

schadenfreude (n.) - Pleasure derived by someone from another person's misfortune
concupiscence (n.) - Strong sexual desire; lust
lachrymose (adj.) - Tearful or given to weeping; inducing tears; sad
oneiric (adj.) Of or relating to dreams or dreaming
concomitant (adj.) - Naturally accompanying or associated; (n.) - A phenomenon that naturally accompanies or follows something
contumacious (adj.) - Stubbornly or willfully disobedient to authority.
leitmotif (n.) - A recurrent theme throughout a musical or literary composition, associated with a particular person, idea, or situation.
usufruct (n.) - The right to enjoy the use and advantages of another's property short of the destruction or waste of its substance.

just a few.

Tedious{Adj}: Too long, slow, or dull. Tiresome or monotonous.

Eversince I heard of that word, I've used it a lot recently...and still is a favorite of mine.

Grandiloquence—pompous speech

eldritch
adjective
eerie; weird; spooky.

dreich
— adj
dialect ( Scot ) dreary

Back
Top Bottom