• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What's the most ironic thing in Pokemon?

SamTheAwesome

Reaction score
Is there anything ironic in Pokemon? I personally think Oblivion Wing is ironic. Yveltals's signature move heals it- but Yveltal itself is the Destruction Pokemon.

In Gen. I, Lickitung couldn't learn Lick. Let me repeat that. LICKITUNG COULD NOT LEARN LICK.

Team Plasma.
"Pokemon battling is inhmane, let's liberate all Pokemon from trainers! By Pokemon battling!"
"Uh, sir, don't you think that's counterproductive?"
"No it's perfect, shut up."

Pokemon were meant to process dangerous power that could endanger human being if they wanted.

Why Ken Sugimori designed in such cutie dolly SD style that made them look harmless?

Zekrom is exclusive to Pokémon White and Reshiram to Black. You'd think that it'd be the opposite...

The fact that Blue boasts about how being the Champion of Kanto makes him the greatest Trainer in the world immediately prior to the battle in which he loses that title.

Stunfisk and Anorith/Armaldo are aquatic creatures yet are weak to Water.

Lysandre's character is many kinds of ironic. He's mad at the majority of the population of the world because he views them as those who take instead of give yet his master plan is to kill everyone except him and his associates so they alone can benefit from the planet's resources and if you want to be spared you have to pay the man 5 million dollars, now who's the taker and giver again? Further more the guy leads a team with a very strong fire motif yet his strongest pokemon is a water type.

Xerneas is supposed to grant life, yet it learns Horn Leech, which means it drains life. Also, Greninja, despite being based on a frog (which eat insects), is weak to Bug-type attacks (unless it changes type with Protean).

the guy leads a team with a very strong fire motif yet his strongest pokemon is a water type.

Could it be a message of him? That "Pokémon are better creatures than human beings."?

It's a possibility. He views pokemon as magnificent beings but since they live alongside humans so closely he sees them as needing to be killed by association. Of course that is also another example of irony seeing as he's using pokemon to enact a scheme that will end up killing lots of pokemon and Lysandre doesn't give a damn about all the lives and bonds he will ruin despite having a close bond with his Gyarados knowing how it feels like. It just makes him look like a bigger hypocrite then he already is since he's mad at all the selfish takers in the world yet is probably the biggest example of that in Kalos at the minimum.

Mega Gyarados was probably chosen because it's big, fierce looking and considering the fairy tale motifs that Kalos has his Gyarados may be an analogy to the evil dragon to be defeated by the hero in many old stories.

Personally I think they could have used mega Garchomp since it is also fierce looking and is actually a dragon but I guess Mega Gyarados was deemed easier to beat.

Last edited:
Is there anything ironic in Pokemon? I personally think Oblivion Wing is ironic. Yveltals's signature move heals it- but Yveltal itself is the Destruction Pokemon.

I hope I don't sound rude or anything, but I don't understand the inherent irony in that one. Part of Yveltal's lore is that it gains life from death.

Team Plasma.
"Pokemon battling is inhmane, let's liberate all Pokemon from trainers! By Pokemon battling!"
"Uh, sir, don't you think that's counterproductive?"
"No it's perfect, shut up."

That's more hypocritical than ironic. The fact that those in the organization who believed they were doing the right thing were just being manipulated towards Ghetsis' ends like the Pokémon they sought to liberate could be considered ironic, though.

It just makes him look like a bigger hypocrite then he already is since he's mad at all the selfish takers in the world yet is probably the biggest example of that in Kalos at the minimum.

Mega Gyarados was probably chosen because it's big, fierce looking and considering the fairy tale motifs that Kalos has his Gyarados may be an analogy to the evil dragon to be defeated by the hero in many old stories.

Personally I think they could have used mega Garchomp since it is also fierce looking and is actually a dragon but I guess Mega Gyarados was deemed easier to beat.

Than (sorry for being a spelling Nazi; that aside, that evaluation was wonderful).

I think Mega Gyarados was chosen because of how it's stated to be destructive, with its 'Dex entrees stating it goes on rampages and such, while Garchomp doesn't have the aggressive nature that fits Lysandre. Gyarados also resembles a traditional dragon more so than Garchomp.

It's ironic that Primal Groudon's only weakness is Ground, since it embodies the land. Groudon even has a type advantage over its Primal Reversion.

Pokemon has always talked about the value of your bonds with your Pokemon, treating them with kindness, and valuing them as more than just tools of victory. The anime champions using whatever 'mon you want, never mind what everyone says is the best, because your connection with your Pokemon will carry you through.

And then we have the metagame.

It's ironic that Primal Groudon's only weakness is Ground, since it embodies the land. Groudon even has a type advantage over its Primal Reversion.

In a way it kinda makes sense. Quite a few ground type moves involve attacking the ground or breaking through it like Earthquake, Earth Power, Magnitude, Fissure, Bulldoze and Dig. Since Primal Groudon is the embodiment of land it makes sense it would be weak to attacks that destroy and damage the thing it represents.

Another ironic thing I remembered recently. In the anime it was said that Scyther (and Electabuzz) go on crazy rampages when they see the color red. Then Scyther evolves into something bright red a few years later. You gotta wonder what happens when a Scizor looks at itself in a mirror.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom