• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What's the most painful thing you've ever experienced?

chocovelvetcake

Your local cake lover ~ ♡
Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. She/Her
Tbh, it's kinda hard for me to choose what the most painful thing I've ever experienced is, but it's gotta be between having really bad period cramps and getting bit by a turtle.

When I was 8 years old, we used to own a pet turtle named Hershey (as in the chocolate bar). He was a big turtle, and he would usually be kept outside. While I was outside in the backyard with my sister, and I wanted to pet Hershey's face (I saw my neighbor pet his face, and he seemed to like it), so I stuck my right hand into his cage, and as soon as he saw my finger, he bit my middle finger. I was screaming like hell and I was crying. Blood was dripping down my finger and onto the ground. After my parents found out about the turtle bite, my mom drove me to the hospital I'm order to get the bite checked out. Luckily, I didn't need any stitches or anything like that. After that, my mom asked me if I wanted to keep Hershey or get rid of him, and I said I wanted to get rid of him. We ended up getting rid of Hershey, and we never seen him again. As for the bite, it's completely healed. You can't even see it on my finger at all. It's almost as if it never happened.

In my junior year of high school, and Spring Break was right around the corner. I was suffering from really bad period cramps. One day, during class, I couldn't really focus, due to how bad my cramps were. My teacher took notice, and she let me rest on a chair. As I was resting on the chair, I felt like I was going to vomit, so I got up off the chair so I could use the bathroom, but right as I walked towards the classroom door, I threw up on the floor. My teacher gave me one of her trash cans just in case if I threw up again and I went to the bathroom. Luckily, I didn't throw up again. Afterwards, I went to the nurse's office. As I was laying on the bed with a heating pack, the nurse was calling my mom. Needless to say, I ended up having to go home early. As my mom was picking me up, she told me she was worried about me and she thought I had covid (this took place during the covid-19 pandemic). Despite throwing up in class, I never got quarantined. Oddly enough, this took place on Friday the 13th. Luckily, my period cramps aren't as bad as they used to be, but they still hurt.

Last edited:
I think that one time I had... not sure if it was flu or gastroenteritis or both idek, but there was lots of abdomen pain, I was seriously afraid it was blocked intestine. Also lots of muscle cramps and aches all over, 39 Celsius fever, lots of... digestive problems up and down, I would sleep afraid I am dying and never waking up, have super weird dreams, then wake up and afraid I will die in the bathroom, try to have some cola (more electrolytes than plain water) and toast... Worst 48-72 hours of my life, not even sure exactly how long it lasted but it was BAD.

I was against annual flu vax before this, do it every year since just in case, COVID was much lighter than this but it was like 1.5 year in (weaker strain) + booster shot.

A lotta years ago, when I was roughly around elementary/middle school age, I'm usually not someone that's ever really intimidated nor triggered by syringes, but back when I was about to undergo a surgery I had to deal with having what my dad recalled was around ten needles because the doctors somehow had that much of an issue trying to locate blood vessels.

I don't blame him for wanting to sue the doctors.

The most debilitating pain I've had was arthritis in my feet and knees. Before the doctors finally found out was going on and helped treat that, they were treating the pain differently and it wasn't working. I was trying to work a retail job at the time. It was torture. It manifested itself in different ways:

The pain that would start up after being on my feet for 20-30 minutes. It would become intolerable to stand after a certain amount of time. I would describe this as a "burning" sensation but I don't know if that's the right way to describe it.

A separate pain in the ball of my foot that would flare up sometimes when active. This pain was sharper than the other and would freeze me in spot when it occurred. It would keep on flaring anytime I took a step, and would not stop until I finally found a place to sit. This was extremely hard to deal with working retail because I could be far away from anywhere to sit and would just have to awkwardly stand in place hoping that somehow it would go away before taking another step. Of course, it didn't. =/

Yet another pain was I'd sit down after being active and hurting. When getting back up it would cause a shock through my feet and knees. and I would have to rest any bit of support I could get in my hands/arms on a table or something until that shock went away. For those who have plantar fasciitis it's kinda like that but even worse.

That was such a nightmare. I'm so grateful my doctors finally got down to the bottom of this because my mental health was hitting rock bottom when it seemed like there were no solutions.

I see this is referring to physical pain and not emotional pain. I admit I'm kind of lucky in that I never needed to go to the hospital for anything super serious. I can really only think of one experience that I can describe as physically painful.

One time, when I was in college, one of my teeth began hurting really bad. This was right after I came back from an anime convention, and I noticed my tooth would flare up really bad if I ate something, even when it wasn't in that area. It got so bad that I made my mom set up an emergency dentist appointment to see what was going on. It turned out the nerves in my teeth were exposed and infected somehow, and I needed to get a root canal if I wanted the pain to go away. Even though I wasn't really a fan of the dentist, I was totally up for getting a root canal if it meant making the pain go away. Luckily, I was able to get an appointment to get one the day after that. I don't really remember how it played out because I was put under anesthetic, only that I couldn't eat anything for a short while and that I was sore for a few days afterward. I DO remember that I was soooooo relieved to not feel any pain in my tooth once the procedure was done. It's funny, because a lot of shows I watched made root canals out to be the absolute worst, most horrifying thing ever, but my experience with one helped me a lot, and I'm super grateful I got it done. Who knows what could have happened to me if I just endured the pain?

I've luckily never had anything during my lifetime land me in the hospital (yet), but the absolute worst I've experienced was probably when I sprained my right ankle really badly a few years ago. I took a particularly nasty fall, felt fine, and then about 30 seconds later the most excruciating pain of my life set in, lol. I honestly thought I had fractured it at first because I could barely stand, walk from room to room, or even brush against it without tearing up for a few weeks. Of course, for some reason I still had to go to class despite all that because no one believed me that it was that painful. :bulbaFacepalm:

I recall the bruise was super gruesome and took forever to go away. And to add insult to injury, the reason why I fell and sprained it? ...I tripped. On a piece of paper. In my own room. :'D

I am probably lucky enough as well, no major hospitalisations since I remember myself, although my parents said I did have a few unfortunate ones in the first two baby years. Jaundice, high fevers...

last year after going to the beach i got a horrible ear infection. i can only assume saltwater got in there and irritated it or something? it was EXTREMELY painful, just nonstop constant stabbing pain in my ear for weeks. i had to go to the doctor and got these expensive medicated ear drops and everything. i don't have proof about this part but i strongly suspect my eardrum ruptured at one point because the pressure i'd been feeling stopped and i went deaf in that ear for a time. i was so scared it would be permanent, but luckily everything's fine now. anyway, absolutely horrendous pain, i hope to never feel that again. and i strongly suggest you guys be careful about getting water in your ears while swimming, lol...

Probably either migraines or the time I fractured my ankle.

With migraine... They're migraines. The scale of how much it sucks depends on the day (I have chronic migraines so unfortunately the answer is never "not at all"), and there's an extent to which I've gotten used to it. Probably the one that seemed like the worst was the first migraine I ever experienced, starting the day before my twelfth birthday, lasting two or three days. It was something I was wholly unprepared for back then, so even though I feel like my migraines have been worse since then, and have definitely tended to last longer, that's always going to be the one that I see as the worst experience. Specifically, when the migraine set in and I went to the clinic, the doctor gave me an injection of something, I don't recall specifics, but that made it way way worse.

The ankle fracture was when I was in sixth grade, just before Thanksgiving break. We were playing a variation on capture the flag in PE and I'd been tasked with guarding my team's "jail". In this variation there were four teams rather than two, and by the point in the game this happened, we had people from every other team in our jail, and people saw an opportunity to rush to free them. In that rush, someone crashed into me and we fell; I'm not sure which of us landed on my ankle, but someone sure did, and it hurt like absolutely hell. When I tried to stand on it I was crying (granted, I was known to be a wimp); I tried to go to the nurse's office but I barely got out of the gym before not being able to keep moving. Someone had to go to the nurse's office for me and come back with a wheelchair, and my parents picked me up from school and drove me straight to the local clinic, they did an X-Ray and everything looked fine, and gave me a walking boot and some crutches. I missed the next couple of days of school after that, the bottom quarter of my leg was completely purple and had swollen up to like twice it's normal size.

January or February rolled around and I still couldn't put weight on it even with the boot so the doctor referred me out of town for an MRI and then we found a hairline fracture, which really would've been good to know about like two months before I did.

I think it was when I was like 10 or 11, and I went on holiday to Slovenia with my parents (absolutely beautiful country). But when we were there we visited a lake. I walked ahead of my parents on the path next the the lake, and I guess I didn't pay attention...... I stepped into a wasp nest and I was stung by a lot of wasps all at once in multiple different places. It's so long ago now, but I still remember how much that hurt. As you can imagine I've been terrified of wasps until this day lol.

Otherwise I've been lucky in that I've never broken anything or I haven't ever been hospitalized for anything (knocks on wood).

Having a muscle ripped of the bone in my leg when I was a teenager. Twice. Once per leg. Yes, you read that right. I tore a muscle completely off the bone in each leg at different points. Both times happened when I was on vacation with my family. I had to spend most of my time in a wheelchair or in crutches (depending on the situation). And, of course, there was physical therapy to deal with. Needless to say I've been a bit more careful about not repeating that injury for a third time.

I'd say mine was having really sore empty sockets and jaw pain after my wisdom teeth removal when I was a teenager. I had local anesthesia during the operation (meaning I was awake but couldn't completely feel the removal, just some pressure but no pain), since my wisdom teeth weren't impacted and practically all four came in perfect, and the dentist performing the surgery said it'll be relatively quick and not as painful afterwards when the anesthetic wears off. Well, afterwards it wore off pretty fast, and at this point I already had the sockets flushed and medicated gauze packs placed, so after a half hour or so at home my jaw instantly swelled and bruised all of a sudden. Let me tell you just very lightly touching my jaw made me cry so much, and the bruising was pretty bad, almost like someone punched me on both sides. And changing the medicated gauze hurt so much, the sockets kept throbbing constantly, and even though I was forced to eat soft mushy foods during recovery I was still worried about eating. Started eating just soups and certain smoothies at meals since that was what made me more comfortable to consume at the time.

Took almost two weeks for it to completely go away and the pain to reside, but it felt even longer cause of how painful it was. Funny thing is, the dentist even told me and my parents that since the wisdom teeth came in almost perfect, I probably wouldn't have needed the surgery because there was a chance it wouldn't cause me any pain later in life, or mess up my other teeth; he still pushed for it though since supposedly having the surgery later in life makes it even worse pain wise. In a way, I'm glad I got it out of the way just in case worst came to worst, but I also felt a bit cheated because I did not expect that much swelling and bruising lol. Pain was a given, but that made me realize my pain tolerance for stuff like that is quite low.

Wisdom teeth removal, the anesthesia barely worked, I could feel the pain and pressure basically the whole way through and heard every little crack.

Probably yesterday when I was crafting something and a blob of hot glue from my glue gun fell onto my exposed thigh (doesn't help that I was wearing shorts). One of the worst burns I've endured and now it looks like a huge infected mosquito bite.

But not as painful from all the times I've twisted my ankles. I have no idea why, but I'm so prone to it. I once broke my left one as a kid and I fell down the stairs one time, causing my ankle to get all bruised and purple.

I can’t choose so I’ll name some:

1. Losing my phone at a lake when I went camping in Fall (two Falls ago in 2020 of all years), I went near the water with my phone and tripped over a stick and these branches. That same second is I realized my phone was in my pocket, and swung it in the water (knew and still know where it is, I can’t go scuba diving to go to its location and get it, better broken that lost but at the same time vice versa); I got a new one a week later.
  2. Over four years ago as I was playing my then one year and a half old 3DS XL, I’m playing #2 favorite at the time Pokémon Black (my first favorite was HeartGold, in an entirely other story), 7 badges and the moment I get out of Relic Castle after doing all the stuff I need to do, that game froze. I was like so mad, I threw my 3DS at my door (I was existing on the left side of the bed). Thankfully it didn’t break (it’s not broken at all other than the top of it being free and loose when opened and closed, which I and possibly others don’t ever consider broken); data was deleted two autumns ago
  3. Then a few days ago I accidentally spilt my drink on a two year old laptop (no, it wasn’t on, nor is it open and it’s just the front, idk if it still works but like based on info I have given about it, can you find out if it’d still have a chance to work?)
  4. Another 3DS story: less than one month after I’d got my first 3DS, it broke due to whatever that had to do with the battery, the second one I’d got not too long after it broke (literally snapped it in half) a bit before Christmas. Here’s Christmas, I got a brand new 3DS, and I also got Animal Crossing: New Leaf (this ended up being one of favorite games and my literal third game ever). And in 2017 something had to happen to it (let’s call it Black 3DS or B3DS) where if I tried to turn it on, it can either stays on for a short period of time or it flickers on, then go off (what’s wrong with it so I’ll try to get it fixed?); earlier in that year I got a new 3DS like sometime in April, a Galaxy one still working to this day (w call it G3DS), still works; I played solitaire (playing by yourself in two datas of the same game or in case of Pokémon same game with two versions/datas from each other) on my B3DS and G3DS until B3DS went kaput (I guess) into 2018 (got a red XL, we call it R3DS; fits well as you can substitute E for 3, also references its color) until R3DS got snapped in half by yours truly (sarcasm).
  5. Then earlier this year there is the mistake of (in my first game Tomodachi Life) how I let Hilda marry Cilan and N would marry Dawn and Lucas’s second youngest (the youngest girl at the time). I had to age N down to 17 to set him up with Hilda but then THAT failed; multiple people knew both of them and could easily set them up but no), I wanted them together but it won’t happen like what the heck
  6. A few summers ago I drove a neighbor’s fence (accidentally) as I didn’t know the difference between the break pedal the gas pedal. Big mistake there.

There’s more but I’m a little tired and I want to stop.

All in all, I had a LONG history of wrong things and HOW I remember them well is beyond me (like some of them aren’t even life events)

Last edited:
I can’t choose so I’ll name some:

1. Losing my phone at a lake when I went camping in Fall (two Falls ago in 2020 of all years), I went near the water with my phone and tripped over a stick and these branches. That same second is I realized my phone was in my pocket, and swung it in the water (knew and still know where it is, I can’t go scuba diving to go to its location and get it, better broken that lost but at the same time vice versa); I got a new one a week later.
  2. Over four years ago as I was playing my then one year and a half old 3DS XL, I’m playing #2 favorite at the time Pokémon Black (my first favorite was HeartGold, in an entirely other story), 7 badges and the moment I get out of Relic Castle after doing all the stuff I need to do, that game froze. I was like so mad, I threw my 3DS at my door (I was existing on the left side of the bed). Thankfully it didn’t break (it’s not broken at all other than the top of it being free and loose when opened and closed, which I and possibly others don’t ever consider broken); data was deleted two autumns ago
  3. Then a few days ago I accidentally spilt my drink on a two year old laptop (no, it wasn’t on, nor is it open and it’s just the front, idk if it still works but like based on info I have given about it, can you find out if it’d still have a chance to work?)
  4. Another 3DS story: less than one month after I’d got my first 3DS, it broke due to whatever that had to do with the battery, the second one I’d got not too long after it broke (literally snapped it in half) a bit before Christmas. Here’s Christmas, I got a brand new 3DS, and I also got Animal Crossing: New Leaf (this ended up being one of favorite games and my literal third game ever). And in 2017 something had to happen to it (let’s call it Black 3DS or B3DS) where if I tried to turn it on, it can either stays on for a short period of time or it flickers on, then go off (what’s wrong with it so I’ll try to get it fixed?); earlier in that year I got a new 3DS like sometime in April, a Galaxy one still working to this day (w call it G3DS), still works; I played solitaire (playing by yourself in two datas of the same game or in case of Pokémon same game with two versions/datas from each other) on my B3DS and G3DS until B3DS went kaput (I guess) into 2018 (got a red XL, we call it R3DS; fits well as you can substitute E for 3, also references its color) until R3DS got snapped in half by yours truly (sarcasm).
  5. Then earlier this year there is the mistake of (in my first game Tomodachi Life) how I let Hilda marry Cilan and N would marry Dawn and Lucas’s second youngest (the youngest girl at the time). I had to age N down to 17 to set him up with Hilda but then THAT failed; multiple people knew both of them and could easily set them up but no), I wanted them together but it won’t happen like what the heck
  6. A few summers ago I drove a neighbor’s fence (accidentally) as I didn’t know the difference between the break pedal the gas pedal. Big mistake there.

There’s more but I’m a little tired and I want to stop.

All in all, I had a LONG history of wrong things and HOW I remember them well is beyond me (like some of them aren’t even life events)
We are mostly talking about physical pain here...

We are mostly talking about physical pain here...
My bad-
I guess where I stubbed my toe on a table in the living room earlier this month (the table is gone because it’s old)
And then several years ago I hit my head on a fan (I was young and stupid) and I had to go to the hospital to get stitches. It was really painful and I cried a bunch. Hopefully that won’t EVER happen again

Went to the ER over a year ago due to low blood pressure (because I was chewing ice for over a year, started two Julys/Julies before that and I just felt like it), stayed a night there and got out. Wasn’t as painful as I thought, but it made a lot of people worry.

Back
Top Bottom