• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

BDSP What’s The Point About This Game?

I don't take Let's Go as indicative of anything to do with the core series going forward because - even setting aside the fact that it uses GO-based gameplay, or the fact that it came out on a separate console from the Alola games - it feels like it's trying too hard to be a Generation I game. There's no Abilities, half of the Kanto Dex is missing evolutionary relatives, and they didn't even include the Sevii Islands. It seems like it was an experiment in #Retraux, and one I doubt will see repetition.

I don't take Let's Go as indicative of anything to do with the core series going forward because - even setting aside the fact that it uses GO-based gameplay, or the fact that it came out on a separate console from the Alola games - it feels like it's trying too hard to be a Generation I game. There's no Abilities, half of the Kanto Dex is missing evolutionary relatives, and they didn't even include the Sevii Islands. It seems like it was an experiment in #Retraux, and one I doubt will see repetition.

Yeah so. You can transfer from LGPE to Home and then to SWSH (Which means the no abilities argument is pointless).

Here are a few arguments as to why SWSH and BDSP won't have direct connectivity: SWSH are produced by Gamefreak, BDSP by ILCA. The difference in art-style and the graphical differences between the 2 games is also what direct connectivity almost makes impossible.

You can only transfer from SWSH to Home and then to BDSP.

Yeah so. You can transfer from LGPE to Home and then to SWSH (Which means the no abilities argument is pointless).
Let's Go is a Generation VII game. I wasn't talking about communication between Let's Go and Galar, I was talking about communication between Let's Go and Alola. Transfer to Galar via HOME falls under Generation advancement. Sorry for being ambiguious.

Here are a few arguments as to why SWSH and BDSP won't have direct connectivity: SWSH are produced by Gamefreak, BDSP by ILCA. The difference in art-style and the graphical differences between the 2 games is also what direct connectivity almost makes impossible.
Colosseum and XD were produced by Genius Sorority, and also had dramatic artstyle differences compared to RSE/FRLG (more dramatic than BDSP to Sw/Sh, considering the artstyle differences are mostly overworld-based), and they had direct connectivity. Company and visuals don't make for sound arguments given precedent.

I doubt there is Mega Evolution and we aren't getting the full national dex in Galar either, since by the time LA rolls around, both BDSP and Sword and Shield will be pretty much old news for playthroughs since almost everyone will be playing the shiny new thing with the new mechanic and lore.

Here is the thing

The BDSP marketing cycle proves that the games only were announced this early due to this being an anniversary year. If we would have followed the previous remake announcement cycle, they would have been announced in May on the earliest and july on the latest (ORAS and LGPE were announced in May and USUM in June). So there is pretty much a gap of at least six months between announcement of a remake/third version and the release, but never longer. The drought gap proves this as well, since we are going into the sixth month since the announcement and we haven't gotten any info since (And no, i don't count the reveal of the releasedates, since we didn't get anything else).

Another problem is that they pretty much need to start hyping up LA at this point as well (Who are new fancy games instead of remakes), which will overshadow BDSP even more (Not to speak about LA being Gamefreaks own product and BDSP being IlCA's).

BDSP most likely will be targeted towards the newer audience/young kids who just have entered the franchise and haven't played the originals, while LA will be targeted more towards adults/experienced players (Which means you can pretty much instantly explain why the LA and BDSP releasedates are so close, BDSP will have nothing new to draw the experienced crowd in, so in order to avoid too much outcry from them, they release LA not far after).

Also regarding E3. Pokemon was only present if there was a new region to present, not with remakes, because then they pretty much have nothing to talk about, since we already know the region. They were present during SWSH, where the stuff happened that generated so much outcry(Dexit). But a year before, they revealed LGPE on May 30th. They weren't present during that E3 either, else they would have revealed it there (And they didn't reveal/talked about ORAS or USUM during E3 either).
We did get an e3 trailer for oras, it was the first look at gameplay we got since the games reveal.

Usum was announced like a week before e3 but they still had a presentation where ishihara confirmed a switch pokemon title

We did get an e3 trailer for oras, it was the first look at gameplay we got since the games reveal.

Usum was announced like a week before e3 but they still had a presentation where ishihara confirmed a switch pokemon title

Yeah, but they weren't present at E3 in person (Unlike with new generations).

Honestly, the answer is so simple for “What is the point of this game?”
1. Gives new players a chance to play Diamond and Pearl and experience the original Sinnoh because there’s no way to experience it on the switch. This also works so players can appreciate what exactly Legends Arceus changes, and they don’t have to basically recap the DP plot in Legends Arceus in some convoluted way to make references to it.
2. It’s a lower effort title that will sell a lot.

I have literally said it since the day it was announced: “remaster” would be a better terminology but I think it is being marketed as a “remake” because the term “remake” has its own brand value for Pokémon now and it would give it more of a boost than a simple remaster. Not to mention the remake moniker is useless for Legends anyways and it won’t need any marketing push the term “remake” can give it.

Honestly, the answer is so simple for “What is the point of this game?”
1. Gives new players a chance to play Diamond and Pearl and experience the original Sinnoh because there’s no way to experience it on the switch. This also works so players can appreciate what exactly Legends Arceus changes, and they don’t have to basically recap the DP plot in Legends Arceus in some convoluted way to make references to it.
2. It’s a lower effort title that will sell a lot.

I have literally said it since the day it was announced: “remaster” would be a better terminology but I think it is being marketed as a “remake” because the term “remake” has its own brand value for Pokémon now and it would give it more of a boost than a simple remaster. Not to mention the remake moniker is useless for Legends anyways and it won’t need any marketing push the term “remake” can give it.
Also because there was demand for it.

The games print money for Nintendo and their cohorts, and that's what it all comes down to. I was saddened when I saw the sales figures for the Let's Go travesties games because it just proved to me that nostalgia really does sell even if the end product is reductive and lackluster. These games will sell a lot for the same reason, and I think it's a shame that people continue to feed the cold, corporate machine that is Nintendo/The Pokemon Company/Game Freak.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom