• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

BDSP What’s The Point About This Game?

ValorSugarcakes

追放されたバカ
Reaction score
These games aren’t even remakes! They should be Diamond & Pearl remasters! Like E3 skipped Pokemon for this first time since 2013, so this proves it!

It's a bit presumptuous to declare this when the game isn't out yet and we've barely seen any of it, but I will confess that sadly it seems to be trending in that direction. I really don't like remasters either, it sort of defeats the purpose to waste time working on an older game when all they're doing is making the graphics marginally better. There is a market of gamers that's never played DPPt before (many of them probably weren't even born when they originally came out) that this game will appeal to, but I feel like a straight port of DP would've done the job just as well without having to go through all of this trouble.

It's a bit presumptuous to declare this when the game isn't out yet and we've barely seen any of it, but I will confess that sadly it seems to be trending in that direction. I really don't like remasters either, it sort of defeats the purpose to waste time working on an older game when all they're doing is making the graphics marginally better. There is a market of gamers that's never played DPPt before (many of them probably weren't even born when they originally came out) that this game will appeal to, but I feel like a straight port of DP would've done the job just as well without having to go through all of this trouble.
I'd agree but the double screen makes that a bit hard. If this was the 3ds or another dual screen console then maybe.

They could just have the Poketch screen come up by pressing a button, problem solved.
I always found it odd how people say that Nintendo can't port the Nintendo DS pokemon games (at least the main ones) because of the dual screen tech. Pretty sure there are several ways to circunvent this and you just pointed one out.

I mean, Nintendo managed to port Skyward Sword to the Switch and they actually did something pretty creative to allow people with Switch Lite to actually play the game, and that was one of the Wii games people thought it was impossible to port to the Switch. Pretty sure Gamefreak could come up something just as creative, or at least ask someone at Nintendo for ideas.

Last edited:
At this point, I have to assume that there's some additional X-factor (such as mega evolution) or backwards compatibility with Sword and Shield going on to finally get the full national 'dex in Galar. Though they're far from my favourites in the series, the original Sinnoh games are fine and perfectly suited to a simple Switch port. That's what I'd be doing if I just wanted to get the basic Sinnoh experience into the hands of players who missed it the first time around, so my charitable assumption is that there's something more at play here.

"Remasters" probably is a more accurate term than remakes, and I do think they maybe should have factored that in the marketing, but nevertheless, BDSP just make more sense than a port. The latter would probably offer far less in terms of profit, so of course the companies would be more inclined to make full games. Meanwhile, that means there's a more polished/accessible/tolerable experience on offer for a more modern audience, many of whom might pass on a simple port of the originals with many of their cardinal problems still in tow.

Last edited:
These games aren’t even remakes! They should be Diamond & Pearl remasters! Like E3 skipped Pokemon for this first time since 2013, so this proves it!
I'm not sure how that proves anything, especially when I don't think Pokemon has been a main feature of E3 in the past. They have featured Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee and Sword and Shield of course, but I don't recall Pokemon being featured at E3 since 2013. Given how little we still know about the games, saying that they aren't even remakes seems a bit much to me.

Beyond the obvious money reason, BS/SP exist to give new and long time fans a chance to explore through Sinnoh without having to track down a DS and the original games. If they do include some quality of life improvements to help make the game less slow, tedious with its level grinding and include the Platinum Pokedex, then that could make it more of a new experience for everyone.

"Remasters" probably is a more accurate term than remakes, imo, and I do think they maybe should have factored that in the marketing, but nevertheless, BDSP just make more sense than a port. The latter would probably offer far less in terms of profit, so of course the companies would be more inclined to make full games. Meanwhile, that means there's a more polished/accessible/tolerable experience on offer for a more modern audience, many of whom might pass on a simple port of the originals with many of their cardinal problems still in tow.

LOL what? Ports are far more profitable than remakes or even remasters. For one, they're cheaper to make, you basically just take the original game and code it to work on the new system, as opposed to remakes/remasters which have you either rebuild the assets from scratch and redo the textures respectively. As for sales, there's multiple Wii U ports that are selling pretty well on Switch despite how much people complain about their abundance. In fact the highest selling Switch game right now? Also a Wii U port (Mario Kart 8 Deluxe). So clearly being a port of a previous game doesn't hurt sales. So yeah, ports are absolutely more profitable. You generally only do remakes if you want the games to look drastically different or remasters if you just want to touch up the games with higher resolutions/framerates. Otherwise, it's probably not even worth bothering because a port is the most profitable kind of re-release you can offer.

I'm not sure how that proves anything, especially when I don't think Pokemon has been a main feature of E3 in the past. They have featured Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee and Sword and Shield of course, but I don't recall Pokemon being featured at E3 since 2013. Given how little we still know about the games, saying that they aren't even remakes seems a bit much to me.

Whether or not they're a main feature is irrelevant. There's tons of games that show up at E3 that haven't been main features. The fact that Pokemon was conspicuously absent from E3 is what speaks volumes, it's very concerning that we're aware of these games' existence but they were complete no shows at E3.

Whether or not they're a main feature is irrelevant. There's tons of games that show up at E3 that haven't been main features. The fact that Pokemon was conspicuously absent from E3 is what speaks volumes, it's very concerning that we're aware of these games' existence but they were complete no shows at E3.
I think it would be more of a red flag if Pokemon had always had a strong presence at E3, but I don't think that has been the case. Granted, I could just not be remembering some of the older E3 events, but I thought it was more typical that we'd get information on Pokemon games shortly before E3 instead of having booths or events dedicated to the newest games during the event. The presentations for Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee and Sword/Shield were more exceptions rather than the standards in regards to E3 showcasing new Pokemon games.

To be clear, it is more concerning that we haven't had any news for the games after their release, unless we count the sudden release date drop back in May, but I just don't think that being complete no shows at E3 is necessarily that big of a deal. If we got some actual news shortly before or after E3, I doubt that anyone would have cared that they weren't featured there.

At this point, I have to assume that there's some additional X-factor (such as mega evolution) or backwards compatibility with Sword and Shield going on to finally get the full national 'dex in Galar. Though they're far from my favourites in the series, the original Sinnoh games are fine and perfectly suited to a simple Switch port. That's what I'd be doing if I just wanted to get the basic Sinnoh experience into the hands of players who missed it the first time around, so my charitable assumption is that there's something more at play here.

I doubt there is Mega Evolution and we aren't getting the full national dex in Galar either, since by the time LA rolls around, both BDSP and Sword and Shield will be pretty much old news for playthroughs since almost everyone will be playing the shiny new thing with the new mechanic and lore.

Here is the thing

The BDSP marketing cycle proves that the games only were announced this early due to this being an anniversary year. If we would have followed the previous remake announcement cycle, they would have been announced in May on the earliest and july on the latest (ORAS and LGPE were announced in May and USUM in June). So there is pretty much a gap of at least six months between announcement of a remake/third version and the release, but never longer. The drought gap proves this as well, since we are going into the sixth month since the announcement and we haven't gotten any info since (And no, i don't count the reveal of the releasedates, since we didn't get anything else).

Another problem is that they pretty much need to start hyping up LA at this point as well (Who are new fancy games instead of remakes), which will overshadow BDSP even more (Not to speak about LA being Gamefreaks own product and BDSP being IlCA's).

BDSP most likely will be targeted towards the newer audience/young kids who just have entered the franchise and haven't played the originals, while LA will be targeted more towards adults/experienced players (Which means you can pretty much instantly explain why the LA and BDSP releasedates are so close, BDSP will have nothing new to draw the experienced crowd in, so in order to avoid too much outcry from them, they release LA not far after).

Also regarding E3. Pokemon was only present if there was a new region to present, not with remakes, because then they pretty much have nothing to talk about, since we already know the region. They were present during SWSH, where the stuff happened that generated so much outcry(Dexit). But a year before, they revealed LGPE on May 30th. They weren't present during that E3 either, else they would have revealed it there (And they didn't reveal/talked about ORAS or USUM during E3 either).

Last edited:
So, let's start with the important statement here. The entire premise of a remake is to introduce the story to a new generation without making them (a) hunt down a copy of the original, most likely second hand, possibly with a jacked-up price, and (b) suffer from the consequent "wow this fricker is dated" symptoms that inevitably arise from an ongoing franchise improving as time goes on.
(a) It's HARD to get video games for a console older than the newest one. It can be hard to get video games for the newest console if they're not the newest releases. I missed Tales of Berseria by a year and couldn't find the fricker locally, still can't. I went hunting for a copy of Emerald, and the only available seller was online, and he did modifications to the cartridge that set off anti-piracy flags in Orre and Sinnoh. I bet finding a copy of DP would be just as difficult. The release of BDSP for the Switch solves this problem, because any gaming store worth its salt WILL carry the newest games.
(b) The original DP Sinnoh Dex suffered from a major case of misjudgement. They made the National Dex unlock condition "see the entire Sinnoh Dex" and then made some bad calls on how many Pokémon the Sinnoh Dex needed for an adequate variety because they didn't want to have the National Dex locked too long. Platinum rectified that. You rerelease DP on the Switch - even assuming a straight port of a DS game would work half as well on the Switch as it does on the Wii U - and you bring up the original Sinnoh Dex. Pd to Poffins, BDSP uses the Platinum-expanded Sinnoh Dex, at least.

Which brings me to my secondary point. The entire point of the core series' versioning is that it encourages you to play with others. You trade for the Pokémon that you don't have, you battle for a bigger thrill than the AI can give you, or you compete to see who can reach a given goal first. Taking that into account, the fact that BDSP is being released in the same Generation as Sword and Shield all but MANDATES communication with Sword and Shield. The releases of the Isle of Armour and Crown Tundra gradually included more and more Pokémon to be trained in Galar. I can all but guarantee that the vast majority of Sinnohan Pokémon will be included in that list upon the release of BDSP. And most likely, every Pokémon currently available in Galar will be able to be trained in Sinnoh.

And on the off chance I am mistaken on the secondary point, that brings me to my tertiary point. Call it a stretch, call it a fantasy, but hear me out before you judge it. Pokémon Battle Revolution was the last Stadium-type game to be released. Official statements from the Pokémon Company are that, with the Kalosian jump to 3D models, there's little reason to release a new Stadium-type game, and they won't be releasing a new one without new motivation to do so. Well, I'm sure there's plenty of people whose dream teams include Unovan, Kalosian, and/or Alolan Pokémon who aren't currently available in Galar and didn't first appear in Sinnoh. If all you pessimists are right, and there is no intention of making the full National Dex available in Galar... that's a pretty big motivation.

I expect you’ll be able to move Pokémon from SwSh into BDSP if they’re included in the Sinnoh Dex, but I genuinely, sincerely cannot see them making “every Pokémon available in Galar” also available in Sinnoh.

Ultimately, I believe that they meant what they said: The days of the National Dex are done. I wouldn’t consider myself a pessimist for believing that - more a realist. I just think they wouldn’t have said that that’s going to be the plan moving forward unless it were true. I don’t see any reason to doubt them, because the demands of supporting such a massive and still-expanding roster really are going to become unsustainable at one point or another. So they’re ripping off the Band-Aid.

Besides, LGPE could communicate with neither Gen 7 nor SwSh, so I don’t think we can take for granted that BDSP or Arceus must have intragenerational compatibility. Arceus seems to be single-player anyway, and BDSP will have their own multiplayer features (like the Underground) to spur engagement.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom