• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What’s The Point???

ValorSugarcakes

追放されたバカ
Reaction score
What’s the point of Go catching all the pokemon when 3 of them are banned from the anime forever!!!

The Porygon line has continued to make cameo appearances in the prologue sequences of the movies, and can't normally be caught in the wild anyways (with rare exceptions). It's possible they'll be seen very briefly in the background or as still images on a computer screen. Even if not, it's safe to say he'll eventually obtain them offscreen.

Kadabra is banned as well because of a lawsuit from some psychic with a large ego and no sense of humor. So, four Pokémon are actually banned from the anime, just like how Tarzan is banned from Kingdom Hearts.

But the Porygon line isn't shunned completely. Official merchandise still exists, and I have a plush toy of a Porygon sitting in my room as proof. Masters even has Porygon as a featured Pokémon in the Poryphone, something that could've easily been filled by Rotom instead. And obviously, continuing to keep an entire evolution out of the anime for something that happened 20 years ago, for something that's actually the fault of a creator's pet, and not realize that most people have moved on? It's absurd. In contrast, Kadabra has no official merchandise, has been retconed from the TCG, cannot be stopped from evolving by Everstone in the games, and may be the only Pokémon with a legitimate reason to be kept out of SwSh. All because of one stern man who's lawsuit-crazy.

You know that he isn't going to catch all of them, right? I honestly don't see the writers going past 150 before Mew shows up, and that's quite enough. The rest can remain an off-screen goal.

He probably won’t catch all of them in this series...but who knows? Maybe the Porygon family will finally get their due within the next few years! (Hahahahahahahaha no)

I imagine the simple solution will be to have an episode that has off-screen captures, and while not specifying the banned Pokémon, helps corroborate a later point when Go "catches them all" and we wonder how.

just like how Tarzan is banned from Kingdom Hearts
I wouldn't say that the jungle man is banned from the franchise forever and ever until the biggest meteor shower crushes us all, more so that Disney lost the rights to use the property hence why the world hasn't been in any KH game afterwards (and also probably why they needed to get some of the license rights back to even make the KH1 side of the 1.5 collection a thing).

Gou having to capture all these Pokemon has gotten annoying and it takes away the joy of capture episodes when he can't go a single episode without an unnecessary capture.
I mean with a goal of literally catching them all, of course you need to trim down or rush the pokemon he needs to catch. There's not enough episodes or time for Gou to have dedicated episodes involving befriending the pokemon or giving somehow all 800 pokemon he'll catch some character.

He didn't catch anything in episodes 11-12. Just saying.
And those two ended up being some of the better (best in case of the 12th) episodes in the series so far. Episode 10 too, because Gou faced his first roadblock/challenge with catching (yet for some reason, they decided to keep him doing the same thing with tossing ball after ball).

I mean with a goal of literally catching them all, of course you need to trim down or rush the pokemon he needs to catch. There's not enough episodes or time for Gou to have dedicated episodes involving befriending the pokemon or giving somehow all 800 pokemon he'll catch some character.

I think that might be one reason why Gou's goal doesn't really sit well with a lot of people. It's already sounds backwards to how the anime generally handles captures. Without bonding with the Pokemon, it can make the captures feel empty or at least limit what emotional investment the audience can have if he's just catching them for the shake of it.

It isn't for the sake of it, even if it isn't your cup of tea. Go is gathering Pokemon from all over the world and having them interact, as was seen in today's ending. He mentioned back in episode 5 that all Pokemon are connected via Mew.

It's the Pokemon equivalent of Noah's Arc, where Mew is the god in a way. Granted, Mew isn't spelling this out in every episode because to kids, the catching thrill is probably enough. It's a little weird to think that the anime is above the games, which promote catching.

It isn't for the sake of it, even if it isn't your cup of tea. Go is gathering Pokemon from all over the world and having them interact, as was seen in today's ending. He mentioned back in episode 5 that all Pokemon are connected via Mew.

It's the Pokemon equivalent of Noah's Arc, where Mew is the god in a way. Granted, Mew isn't spelling this out in every episode because to kids, the catching thrill is probably enough. It's a little weird to think that the anime is above the games, which promote catching.

Have they explained how capturing a bunch of Pokemon is going to lead Gou to capture Mew though? Saying that all Pokemon are connected via Mew sounds a bit too vague for my tastes. I know that Mew is supposed to be the ancestor of all Pokemon, but I don't really see how capturing more Pokemon would lead to catching Mew in this case.

The games also promote bonding with your Pokemon. Capturing Pokemon is cool, but if Gou is able to capture most Pokemon without much of a problem in nearly every episode, then the shine might start to ware off. As much as people like it when a main character captures a Pokemon, it doesn't really mean much if it happens all the time.

I mean he could catch the Porygon line without them making actual physical appearances. Kinda like how Porygon and its evos still make appearances as still images in the World of Pokemon segments from the movies. Just show Porygon's line as being registered in his Pokedex in a 1-second shot.

I would've agreed with the comments about how Go catching Pokemon is pointless a couple months ago when it seemed like we wouldn't see his collection of Pokemon that frequently but recent episodes have changed my mind because the writing staff seem to be doing their hardest to have many of Go's Pokemon appear in episodes even if it's just as side characters. That's much better than I expected. As for the banned Pokemon Go can just skip them and no harm done.

There is no point, he'll wind up missing a few when this saga ends and he finally goes away forever.
Besides it'd be an injustice to Porygon if it's caught offscreen and just shown off in the dex. Not a great way to honor the species, and certainly not a great way to make somebody appreciate a character completing his awful goal at completing a dex.

To be honest I don't think anybody cares about the Porygon thing anymore. The kids who got seizures back in the day are old enough to understand that it was the animators' fault for putting those flashing lights in the episode. Porygon isn't to blame since it's just a fictional character. Besides it still showed up in the games and other media.

There is no point, he'll wind up missing a few when this saga ends and he finally goes away forever.
Besides it'd be an injustice to Porygon if it's caught offscreen and just shown off in the dex. Not a great way to honor the species, and certainly not a great way to make somebody appreciate a character completing his awful goal at completing a dex.

I mean the fact that you think that Porygon needs to be honored when it was involved in a situation that caused tons of kids to have seizures is all kinds of yikes.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom