• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Whats the real diffrence between patriotism and nationalism?

Matleo

追放されたバカ
Reaction score
- Many journalist and propaganda systems around the world try to mix with our heads but what is the most objective truth about those words and how people have used them in the past and use them currently?

How will they use them in the future?

- when are patriotism and nationalism bad and when are they good?

List of notable persons that this subject concerns:

- Hitler, Stalin, Mussolini, Kim Dzong family, Sadam, Gaddafi , Jaruzelski, Putin, Hirohito, Franco, Angela Merkel and germans councelors with to much years in office.

-Churchill, Lincoln, Obama, Trump, Clinton, Washington, Gandhi, Dalai Lama, Mandela

- you are welcom to make the list greater and discuss this matter.

Last edited:
9b82c33014ebfebeed8525de86b4c2305b11143b86d15611abb29444e0671945.jpg

I found this picture a couple of years ago, and I believe that this best describes both patriotism and nationalism. The patriot is proud of his country for what it does, but creates a feeling of responsibility. On the other hand, the nationalist is proud of his country no matter what it does, which is a feeling of blind arrogance that leads to war.

In my honest opinion, it is quite sad to see the rise of the far-right throughout the world, and far-right wingers hijacking national flags to serve their own agenda of hatred, just like groups such as Reclaim Australia and United Patriots Front, as well as politicians such as Pauline Hanson here in Australia and Marine Le Pen in France among others. Based on this, I see politicians such as these as nationalists and not true patriots.

As a very simplistic answer, I'd say Patriotism is more of a feeling and Nationalism is more based on policy. Patriotism is fine when it includes a sense of solidarity, doesn't cloud rational judgement, and isn't used to push an agenda (for example, smearing people who opposed the Iraq War as unpatriotic). Nationalism in the sense of right-wing identity politics, which I would argue form most of the basis of support for people like Trump and Le Pen as well as parties like AfD and FPÖ, is deeply concerning (to put it lightly). Nationalist policies intended to circumvent ethnic tensions (for example, Yugoslav- or Pan-African Nationalism) can be justified, as can Nationalist responses against colonialism (for example, Algerian independence from France). I think something like nationalizing the oil industry could be considered a Nationalist policy as well, and clearly that's a lot different than the kind of Nationalism we here about in the news. So, it's complicated.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom