• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What's the reasoning behind the Pokemon dub voices these days?

BulbaTCG

Reaction score
This is something I've noticed since Sun and Moon started. For reasons I don't understand, less Pokemon retain their original Japanese voice, even if they simply make animal noises or their names in English are similar/the exact same. For the most part, Pokemon that kept their voices before Sun and Moon seem to stick to this pattern (Electabuzz, Zubat, Tauros), but with things like Togedemaru, Mimikyu, Rowlet, and even in cases like Togepi in the latest movie, they seem to completely forego this. What's your theory on why this is happening? I'm betting it has something to do with the music situation that the dub's been dealt with for the last few years.

Last edited:
They dubbed over Togedemaru, Mimikyu, etc? Ew. Are there any Alola pokemon who get to keep their Japanese voices in the English dub?

It's such a waste of everyone's time, money, energy, etc though. I don't know why they do it; "because TPCI" is about the only explanation I can come up with, really.

They dubbed over Togedemaru, Mimikyu, etc? Ew. Are there any Alola pokemon who get to keep their Japanese voices in the English dub?

It's such a waste of everyone's time, money, energy, etc though. I don't know why they do it; "because TPCI" is about the only explanation I can come up with, really.

I don't believe there are. Everything's been dubbed over thus far, with the exception of Kiawe's Charizard.

Does TPCi get royalties if other language dubs use their Pokemon voices instead of the originals? If they do I could understand it, even if it is ridiculous.

I kind of get it if the original is very clearly saying its Japanese name and it wouldn't fit, but then again so many of them are subtle enough that it's not super obvious (it took me years to realize what Iwark was saying, for instance).

It burned me up when Mimikyu and Kiteruguma got dub voices. Mimikyu's is the exact same concept, only somehow worse-acted so it makes no sense. Kiteruguma's is the same idea but way, way less intimidating (and sounds much more like a woman in her 30s pretending to be a bear).

When Togedemaru became the first Electric Rodent Pokemon to not retain its Japanese voice, I knew something was up (although I actually really like Togedemaru’s voice in the dub). Now, after looking at the cast list for the new movie, and seeing that even Togepi has fallen victim to this, my worst fears have been realized.

Eevee having its voice changed for the new movie really puzzles me, when you consider the new games keep it without any issue.

I realize it's not as iconic, but when Let's Go makes a point of keeping both Pikachu and Eevee's voices, you'd think the anime would too.

But... TPCI.

Eevee having its voice changed for the new movie really puzzles me, when you consider the new games keep it without any issue.

I realize it's not as iconic, but when Let's Go makes a point of keeping both Pikachu and Eevee's voices, you'd think the anime would too.

But... TPCI.
In its very first appearance, Eevee’s voice was untouched. But I can’t think of another instance where it wasn’t dubbed.

Another bizarre case of this is with Ash’s Noivern. When he first evolved, TPCi left in his Japanese voice. But when he made his next appearance, he suddenly had a bizarre vampire-like voice by Marc Thompson. What was the point of leaving it in that one time if they were just going to dub it over after that? Stuff like this is a good reason why I only watch the Japanese version of XYZ.

Last edited:

But... TPCI.
Aoi Yuki voiced Eevee in multiple languages for Let's Go Eevee, since its name varies. They didn't just reuse her lines.

Aoi Yuki voiced Eevee in multiple languages for Let's Go Eevee, since its name varies. They didn't just reuse her lines.
That's interesting - makes me think if they do future Let's Go games with other Pokemon (like Teddiursa as some people have suggested), they'll go the same route.

Is there any generation 7 Pokemon (aside from Solgaleo and Lunala) that kept it's Japanese voice in the Sun & Moon anime?

Another bizarre case of this is with Ash’s Noivern. When he first evolved, TPCi left in his Japanese voice. But when he made his next appearance, he suddenly had a bizarre vampire-like voice by Marc Thompson. What was the point of leaving it in that one time if they were just going to dub it over after that? Stuff like this is a good reason why I only watch the Japanese version of XYZ.

Funnily eough, they did that with Ash's Primeape - voiced by Hiroshi Otake in its debut episode, but then by Michael Haigney in "The Punchy Pokemon", but that was at the begining of the series and they never did it again.

Funnily eough, they did that with Ash's Primeape - voiced by Hiroshi Otake in its debut episode, but then by Michael Haigney in "The Punchy Pokemon", but that was at the begining of the series and they never did it again.

It was strange, Primeape of course gets a dubbed voice now all the time, most recent being Marc Thompson

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom