• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What's the strangest food you've ever eaten?

Legacy

Reader and Writer
Reaction score
I'm watching Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmer, and just got me thinking how many weird food I've eaten... not many actually.

Strangest food I've ever eaten is probably raw octopus at a sushi place.

What about y'all?

Calf fries. Delicious and well fried and dunked in cream gravy.

But still. I had balls in my mouth.

Just... it was weird. Knowing some cow had been emasculated for the sake of tasty food.

Lamb Brain, boiled in a hotpot and served in a creamy peanut sauce at a Muslim Resturant in Beijing.

Balut (Philippines) - Duck embryo in egg. Surprisingly taste good.
Dinuguan (Philippines) - Pork intestines, liver, kidney cooked in Pig's blood. Love it with hot rice.
Dried Salted Fish bones (Indonesia) - It's like dried fish, only bones. Can eat it raw.
BBQ Grasshoppers and bugs (China) - Ate one stick of this during in Beijing. They have strong smell. Don't really like it.
Fugu (Japan) - an expensive fish in Japan. My dad bought it once. He insisted I should it one as it took him so much money just to have it >_<

Balut (Philippines) - Duck embryo in egg. Surprisingly taste good.
Dinuguan (Philippines) - Pork intestines, liver, kidney cooked in Pig's blood. Love it with hot rice.
Dried Salted Fish bones (Indonesia) - It's like dried fish, only bones. Can eat it raw.
BBQ Grasshoppers and bugs (China) - Ate one stick of this during in Beijing. They have strong smell. Don't really like it.
Fugu (Japan) - an expensive fish in Japan. My dad bought it once. He insisted I should it one as it took him so much money just to have it >_<

Holy cow you had fugu?! You're lucky to be alive :X even the most diluted amount of it's venom and you'd be dead in a matter of moments D:

Anyway the weirdest thing I've had isn't weird at all (well unless you're a very domestic American lol) I've had Barbacoa con lengua (cow tongue and cheek) and some bison ground beef lol

Holy cow you had fugu?! You're lucky to be alive :X even the most diluted amount of it's venom and you'd be dead in a matter of moments D:

Anyway the weirdest thing I've had isn't weird at all (well unless you're a very domestic American lol) I've had Barbacoa con lengua (cow tongue and cheek) and some bison ground beef lol

It isn't really that dangerous to eat. Pufferfish is commonly served here in Asia. Alot of non-Asians would probly freak out if they see one. I remember during a visit in the Philippines, they have this soup dish of small Pufferfishes. And I declined in eating one, because in Japan we have professional chefs only allowed to cook it. But I guess some locals there are also expert in handling it. In Japan, there's this really ugly poisonous fish that they serve. And I wouldn't dare eating it. It's called Okoze.

the strangest food I can remember eating is Mako Shark. I'm sure I've eaten worse though.

I think either snails or durian.

All I remember about the snails is that they were really garlicy. And durian is a spiky death fruit with the foulest stink in all creation.

I bought some water buffalo jerky once but it went bad before I could eat it.

live mealworm
it was kind of like a tasteless fruit gusher, except the exoskeleton was very chewy (ended up just swallowing that part whole).

Escargot (although I LOVE it and have it almost often).

Not sure how strange other people may consider it, but I've had raw beef twice: Once as strips with ponzu in Japan, and once as steak bleu in France.

I really never ate anything bizzare XD but...i do remember eating ants when i was 4. They didn't taste like anything :D

Since I live where I do some food here would be considered
strange. People hunt squirrel here and ground hogs. If you
want to really get weird try crawfish. The fried oysters I got
one time tasted nasty. Oh one other unusual food where I
live is okra. No I don't live in Lousiana and I'm not Cajun
either. This is Kentucky's food I'm talking about. It's not
all KFC here. I have tried pork brains here and souse.
Souse is also called head cheese. Talking about strange foods?
How about some catfish and frog legs with poke salad.
judy jennings

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom